Gentle Reminder: NB Dunowen

Featured Posts

Hoping you read or contribute to this forum: Just a gentle reminder to close paddles after yourself. 

Lock 23W top paddle left fully open. 

(unless of course there’s a notice which specificity asks you to leave a lock empty, as at lock 24W. Which you left full.) 

I was reading all afternoon and didn’t really take any notice til I realised the bank behind me was shoulder height, and when I looked out to the left the unattended boat was hanging on it’s ropes. 

The HNC easily runs dry in places with paddles left open. 
Just posting here on the off chance you read the forum and incase I don’t get the chance to remind you in person. 

Edited by Goliath
Grammar

That must have been a good book, or had you had a beer too? ?.

The "leave empty" thing was generally taken seriously on the K&A but is mostly ignored up here in the North. Maybe things have changed over the lat few years, people used to learn boating, but now increasingly just get a boat and go boating, and have not a clue why some locks should be left empty, or left with everything closed.

I recently left a paddle up on a leave empty lock and a local resident turned up and closed it in front of my eyes.

................Dave

25 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Hoping you read or contribute to this forum: Just a gentle reminder to close paddles after yourself. 

Lock 23W top paddle left fully open. 

(unless of course there’s a notice which specificity asks you to leave a lock empty, as at lock 24W. Which you left full.) 

I was reading all afternoon and didn’t really take any notice til I realised the bank behind me was shoulder height, and when I looked out to the left the unattended boat was hanging on it’s ropes. 

The HNC easily runs dry in places with paddles left open. 
Just posting here on the off chance you read the forum and incase I don’t get the chance to remind you in person. 

I think thats the lock that floods the towpath if left full. Lock 1E has to be left empty because it floods the basement of a nearby building.

If you find the culprit,take it easy,because it may be some senile old gimmer.

Rumour has it that one or two on this forum are "getting on a bit"?

Water level went down so slowly. 
Yep good book. 

only just started boozing

wrote post sober

i’ve left paddles open too

so it wasn’t meant as a rant but an irritated reminder

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I think thats the lock that floods the towpath if left full. Lock 1E has to be left empty because it floods the basement of a nearby building.

If you find the culprit,take it easy,because it may be some senile old gimmer.

Rumour has it that one or two on this forum are "getting on a bit"?

I met the boater

He and his crew were struggling to get in Lock 24W, after 20min I went to see if I could help but they sorted themselves out. 
I guess the water level was too low for them to get over the cill? Til they dropped a bit of water down. 

Anyway they’re bigger than me and certainly no olddies.