Ruggerini rm278 problem , temp ?

Ant cole

Featured Posts

Hi all , I’ve posted on here a while ago , got ruggerini rm278 2 cylinder , , we have had smoke issues. Not major but more than I’d like , we thought due to a temperature issue , the boat engine never gets more than 65 degrees hot , on its gauge and verified with digital gun, we clamped a hose to try to increase , last week water pump was throwing water out , 

today I have removed the pump and found the woodruff key was broken so it was spinning the pulley and not even pumping .stat checked and opens at 80 

so my question is.  Would not my engine get too hot in this case? 
im confused how water would be still coming out of pump bearings when not turning ,  

any help appreciated ,   

Assuming the pump is the normal engine water pump, and not a raw water pump, I'd expect the pump to still turn, even with a broken Woodruff key. If it wasn't turning, the pulley nut would be stationary, so the pulley would be rotating against it, which would cause a bit of a racket, and obvious wear to the pulley, nut, etc.

1 hour ago, Ant cole said:

Hi all , I’ve posted on here a while ago , got ruggerini rm278 2 cylinder , , we have had smoke issues. Not major but more than I’d like , we thought due to a temperature issue , the boat engine never gets more than 65 degrees hot , on its gauge and verified with digital gun, we clamped a hose to try to increase , last week water pump was throwing water out , 

today I have removed the pump and found the woodruff key was broken so it was spinning the pulley and not even pumping .stat checked and opens at 80 

so my question is.  Would not my engine get too hot in this case? 
im confused how water would be still coming out of pump bearings when not turning ,  

any help appreciated ,   

Again assuming its a car type engine water pump the answer is probably "because the seal has failed".

If its a raw water type Jabsco some have no seals or a small stuffing box so a worn body will leak as it will if it has seals that have failed or bearing so worn the shaft runs off centre.

Hi , cooling is via skin tank. Not raw , the woodruff key was broken , the pulley  head was turning and shaft not turning , so alloy onto alloy and has worn part of shaft away , I think the water is just a flow from the expansion. Tank through engine and out through bearings failed seal , , as the stat is in the exhaust jacket it may be opening with exhaust heat rather than water temp , either way the engine is running cold with no cooling fan ,, 

Something broke that key. Centrifugal (engine style) water pumps don't put that much load on the drive so I suspect the shaft bearings may have seized and that may well have been because the seal had failed and flooded the bearings.

Sometimes when an engine runs short of water the temperatrure sender is in air and they can read cool. If its not that I suspect the installation is such that the coolant will thermo-syphon.

If the engine has boiled it may have wrecked the sender so take that out and test it.

• 9 months later...
17 hours ago, Ant cole said:

Engine smoke sorted. Was incompatibility on injector body and injector nozzles. , although they had been tested  , seems like they didn’t atomise enough , engine now running clean and sorted , 

Thanks for letting us know the cause.

Not everyone does, which I find frustrating.