Rusty bilge

jenevers

Featured Posts

Our engine swim and bilge was top-coated in white, it makes it much easier to see any oil or water leaks or dropped screws or nuts.

It was getting ready for re-doing when we sold the boat.

You can see at the top of the swim in the picture :

IMG_20131214_121846.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I painted our engine bilge with Danboline grey. Bitumen would be no use as it wouldn’t stand up to oil and diesel spills. For the main cabin bilge however I’m not sure I’d use anything. If when any water gets down there you wouldn’t want it to sit behind the coating. 

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I painted our engine bilge with Danboline grey. Bitumen would be no use as it wouldn’t stand up to oil and diesel spills. For the main cabin bilge however I’m not sure I’d use anything. If when any water gets down there you wouldn’t want it to sit behind the coating. 

Well I wouldn’t want it in contact with the steel, so a coating of bitumen should stop that happening.

50 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Well I wouldn’t want it in contact with the steel, so a coating of bitumen should stop that happening.

As long as you’re confident that the ballast won’t wear any holes in the bitumen then go for it :)