Buying a budget widebeam

Alastair G

Featured Posts

Hello everyone. I’m new here and thought I’d ask a simple question to get things started. I’ve saved up £35,000 and want to buy a 50ft wide-beam to live aboard and gradually renovate. Is this far too little money for me to get started? I’m hoping to find a boat that is in useable condition that I can learn as I go with the restoration job. 

It may not be what you want to hear but, that budget you will get a NARROWBOAT at the bottom of the 'good' range (below £20k is major expenditure territory)

You may find a ;distress sale' of a widebeam but I'd suggest you need £60k+ in reality.

Widebeam leisure boats are really a quite recent 'invention' fuelled by the 'get onto the housing ladder' advertising so you are unlikely to find an 'old one' which would help to bring it nearer to your budget.

I may also depend what you mean by 'widebeam', it could be 8 foot, 9 foot, 10 foot, 12 foot or even 14 foot beam

A 60 x 10 (£115,000)

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/collingwood-60-widebeam/628185

55 x 12 (2004) (£80,000)

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-widebeam/637383

57 x 10  (2013) (£70,000)

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-widebeam/635239

Cheapest I can find £60k

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/rd-fabrications-55-widebeam/415746

50 x 7' 9" no gain over a 7 foot narrowboat £45,000

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-widebeam/621600

You can buy a60 x 12  'shell' that needs totally fitting out for £38,000

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-widebeam/629262

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Alastair G said:

Hello everyone. I’m new here and thought I’d ask a simple question to get things started. I’ve saved up £35,000 and want to buy a 50ft wide-beam to live aboard and gradually renovate. Is this far too little money for me to get started? I’m hoping to find a boat that is in useable condition that I can learn as I go with the restoration job. 

My wife doesnt spend much time on the boat and says that she would prefer a widebeam. I did a bit of research and very quickly discovered that the lowest asking prices for any widebeams were in the region of £55,000. At this price, at the bottom of the market, they weren't very nice boats, and looked like they needed a lot of work and improvements. Given my findings, it seemed clear that we would need to spend at least £70,000 to get something that was in a condition that both of us would be prepared to live in. There was no way I was spending another £45k, over and above what we should get for this boat, particularly when she might still not spend much time on it.

Si, IMHO, YES, £35k is too little money by a long way.

• Greenie 1

Widebeams are superb and way way better than sewer tubes but you have to pay more. You may get a sailaway that someone has lost interest in at that price but will need to fit it out. They do come up at 50k on occasion and sometimes are ok at that price but as others have said 35k for a finished boat it will be in sh one T order.

• Greenie 1

Nearly 10 years ago I bought my widebeam for 48.5I it was a repossessed one and 1year old, bargains are available but they are few and far between! I bought the other year a broads cruiser 32 x 12 4k full rebuild required it's fiberglass and in some ways better than steel it cost me 4k

Collingwood do a variety of widebeams from a shell to a fully finished boat and everything in between. When I was (quite seriously) looking at getting a widebeam, they offered a 60x11ft widebeam that was described as a lined sail away. It had plumbing, walls, flooring, electrical system fitted, even had a working shower. I’d have to have finished it off which was the plan. They were asking in the region of £60k for this. Obviously you could have reduce what was finished and the size of the boat to save money but you could have left their boatyard with a widebeam for as little as £50k.

I looked for second hand ones and it was a similar story. At the very least £50k. You don’t seem to find many half finished widebeams for sale although I guess they probably come up from time to time but I doubt for as little as you’re looking to pay. £35k won’t get you a widebeam in any reasonable state, unless you’re lucky like @peterboat.

13 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Collingwood do a variety of widebeams from a shell to a fully finished boat and everything in between. When I was (quite seriously) looking at getting a widebeam, they offered a 60x11ft widebeam that was described as a lined sail away. It had plumbing, walls, flooring, electrical system fitted, even had a working shower. I’d have to have finished it off which was the plan. They were asking in the region of £60k for this. Obviously you could have reduce what was finished and the size of the boat to save money but you could have left their boatyard with a widebeam for as little as £50k.

I looked for second hand ones and it was a similar story. At the very least £50k. You don’t seem to find many half finished widebeams for sale although I guess they probably come up from time to time but I doubt for as little as you’re looking to pay. £35k won’t get you a widebeam in any reasonable state, unless you’re lucky like @peterboat.

And believe me o know I was lucky! In truth the broads cruiser was a good buy very cheap and I sold the old engine etc so it owes me very little 

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

And believe me o know I was lucky! In truth the broads cruiser was a good buy very cheap and I sold the old engine etc so it owes me very little 

There is a broads GRP cruiser moored here.It is huge!

It would be much cheaper than a widebeam,or even a narrowboat.

Even if you bought one on the Broads and paid to have it transported to your location by road,it would I am sure be within your budget.

A topic by @Naughty Cal when she was researching the practicalities of a Broads cruiser as a boat to live on. Worth reading.

Do you really really need a wide beam? A lot of folk coming from those weird homes on land that don't move think they do. If boat life suits you, then most people can live fine on a narrow beam boat. If you can't stand living on a narrow boat, then chances are you won't like living on a broad beam either. Some people with years of experience with narrow boat living get a broad beam later for the extra space, but they have the experience to know what you want.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Are you planning to moor in Bristol?  Before thinking about a boat, check what your mooring options are as Bristol liveaboard moorings are both rare and expensive.  Something to bear in mind if you are on a tight budget (and you appear to be on a very tight budget...).

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.. I haven't researched mooring yet, so will get started on that. 

I like the look of this boat that Alan de Enfield suggested: 

Mainly because of the size and the fact that it looks like a project that I could comfortably work on.

But I'm going to start looking at Broads Cruisers and Narrowboats too. I did live on a narrowboat in Oxford in the early 2000's and I seem to remember it was around 45ft. Was very comfy however I'm concerned about space... I should really spend some more time aboard each type if I can to see what would actually work. I know with many things, they seem small on the outside but once inside there's lots of space. 

Thanks Jen, I'm going to have a look at the Broads Cruiser info that you sent too.

Alastair

56 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A topic by @Naughty Cal when she was researching the practicalities of a Broads cruiser as a boat to live on. Worth reading.

Do you really really need a wide beam? A lot of folk coming from those weird homes on land that don't move think they do. If boat life suits you, then most people can live fine on a narrow beam boat. If you can't stand living on a narrow boat, then chances are you won't like living on a broad beam either. Some people with years of experience with narrow boat living get a broad beam later for the extra space, but they have the experience to know what you want.

Jen

Having had 'both' there is absolutely no comparison in 'comfort and space' between a NB and a WB, I currently have a 14 foot beam (and a 23 foot beam on the lumpy water boat) and there is way more space on the 14 footer than 2x a 7 foot beam.

Its like comparing a 6 foot wide 'corridor' with a 12 foot bedroom.

The only possible reason to choose a NB is to do the canals around the Midlands, for anything else the WB is the way to go.

If you can do this in a 10 footer, think what you can do in 12 or 14 feet.

4223695.jpg

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, dor said:

Are you planning to moor in Bristol?  Before thinking about a boat, check what your mooring options are as Bristol liveaboard moorings are both rare and expensive.  Something to bear in mind if you are on a tight budget (and you appear to be on a very tight budget...).

Easiest way to get a mooring in Bristol is to buy a boat already there, with a transferable mooring agreement. But you won't get much choice of boat.

Also worth remembering that having a widebeam precludes moving from the South of the system to the North of the system and vice versa (should you ever want to). Unless of course you crane the thing out and back in again or do a coastal hop (Not recommended in your average widebeam canal boat). There are some man made waterways (and rivers of course)  up North very well suited to a widebeam boat.

(Of course if the prime consideration is just to live on it in a static location this won't be an issue.)

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Correct spooling

3 hours ago, dor said:

Last time I looked the residential prices in the harbour itself were surprisingly low considering the location, but I suspect that only contributes to the length of the waiting list which is so long it might even be closed.

.................Dave

41 minutes ago, dmr said:

Last time I looked the residential prices in the harbour itself were surprisingly low considering the location, but I suspect that only contributes to the length of the waiting list which is so long it might even be closed.

.................Dave

Such is the demand for 'cheap housing'.

The other side of the Country, but Cambridge council have announced they have closed their list :

The waiting lists for a residential boat mooring licence is currently closed due to the number of people waiting for a space. The expected waiting times are up to 10 years for a narrow-beam boat, and up to 20 years for a wide-beam boat. We’ll reopen the lists when the estimated wait is less than 18 months.

If you plan for your child to attend Cambridge university it may pay to get the application is a couple of years prior to conception.

I've bought a narrowboat at that sort of cost, it needed £  x spent to make it nice. and still needs more, but I really want a boat not a caravan.

I find I just need a bedroom, a cosy saoon and a galley, it depends how much ime you spend on board, and howmany people are living with you.

The only thing I would really want is a swish shower etc. To get that on my current boat, it woud be abot £1500-2000, and a new modern galley , the same.

I would not buy a floating home thinking it would be "my dream home" or "a foot on the property ladder"

It's likely a money pit, or a pikey life.

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Alastair G said:

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.. I haven't researched mooring yet, so will get started on that. 

I like the look of this boat that Alan de Enfield suggested: 

Mainly because of the size and the fact that it looks like a project that I could comfortably work on.

But I'm going to start looking at Broads Cruisers and Narrowboats too. I did live on a narrowboat in Oxford in the early 2000's and I seem to remember it was around 45ft. Was very comfy however I'm concerned about space... I should really spend some more time aboard each type if I can to see what would actually work. I know with many things, they seem small on the outside but once inside there's lots of space. 

Thanks Jen, I'm going to have a look at the Broads Cruiser info that you sent too.

Alastair

I looked t that before I realised it was modern widebeam, it's pretty 1960's.

There are some very smart modern widebeams, but this is not one of them.

No idea why folks would think a project is a good idea, . Every boat is a project, requires deep pockets and lots of experience, not someone who has put a  few shelves up. DAMHIK :)

I would spend a long time on research, if you can stash £3-5K perannum, keep ypur powder cool., If you can't , how are you going to afford the upgrade?

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Having had 'both' there is absolutely no comparison in 'comfort and space' between a NB and a WB, I currently have a 14 foot beam (and a 23 foot beam on the lumpy water boat) and there is way more space on the 14 footer than 2x a 7 foot beam.

Its like comparing a 6 foot wide 'corridor' with a 12 foot bedroom.

The only possible reason to choose a NB is to do the canals around the Midlands, for anything else the WB is the way to go.

If you can do this in a 10 footer, think what you can do in 12 or 14 feet.

4223695.jpg

Aint that the truth. Narrowboats are not comfy even if you pay 200K. The only reason to buy one is because of the poxy narrow locks we have been gifted by our ancestors. If you dont intend extensive cruising and need the ability at the drop of a hat to move between the north and the south on the inland system then a widey is the way to go. Cost more to licence and often nowadays to moor but the space is worth it.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Aint that the truth. Narrowboats are not comfy even if you pay 200K. The only reason to buy one is because of the poxy narrow locks we have been gifted by our ancestors. If you dont intend extensive cruising and need the ability at the drop of a hat to move between the north and the south on the inland system then a widey is the way to go. Cost more to licence and often nowadays to moor but the space is worth it.

Same here tim I have lived in a corridor and now live in a proper  boat lots of room and most of the northern canals are large anyway so it suits me.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Fair enuff, but you are experienced liveaboards, your long term choice, [I think ] a compatable couple, at the pipe and slippers age 

This looks more like a singe person, he's not going to be onboard 24/7, he'll be out there working, networking, clubbing and all the rst of it.  

buying a project meand every night and every weeken researhing, buying, stripping this that and t'other, and then there is maintenance of what you've got 

If you want to tie up in a marina,I would find a nice boat on a nice marina.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Such is the demand for 'cheap housing'.

The other side of the Country, but Cambridge council have announced they have closed their list :

The waiting lists for a residential boat mooring licence is currently closed due to the number of people waiting for a space. The expected waiting times are up to 10 years for a narrow-beam boat, and up to 20 years for a wide-beam boat. We’ll reopen the lists when the estimated wait is less than 18 months.

If you plan for your child to attend Cambridge university it may pay to get the application is a couple of years prior to conception.

This is nothing new, the Cambridge moorings are lovely, on a River next to a park and only a short walk into the lovely Cambridge. They are in fact free of charge as the moorers only pay the council an amount  equivalent to council tax.  Some unusual rules too, the boat Must be residential rather than leisure only.

...............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

This is nothing new, the Cambridge moorings are lovely, on a River next to a park and only a short walk into the lovely Cambridge. They are in fact free of charge as the moorers only pay the council an amount  equivalent to council tax.  Some unusual rules too, the boat Must be residential rather than leisure only.

...............Dave

Price varies on length but the 'bigger sizes' (such as most NB's) are around £1200 pa. which, as you say will be somewhere close to Band A Council Tax