Is this the starter battery, even though it looks like a leisure one?

Featured Posts

Hi, we're replacing our leisure batteries with a Victron LiFePo4 one. To connect everything to the battery management system, we need to locate the starter battery. However, I can't see anything that looks like a starter battery to me, only three leisure ones. Could it be that this thing, which is the same size as the leisure ones but seems to connect directly to the engine is the starter battery? Thanks!

MVIMG_20200530_154047.jpg

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Change that useless cheapo battery isolater switch for a real one while you are at it ?

That is unfair. They are sold as battery isolation switches and they do that job very well. They just aren't so good as battery connection switches. ?

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Will your 'lead acid' battery management system work with Lithiums ?

You don't want to destroy those expensive new batteries by having it set up incorrectly.

I forgot to mention, we are also going to use a Victron LiFePo4 battery management system :)

1 hour ago, Thomas C King said:

Thanks everyone, seems like it's safe to assume it's the starter battery, We'll install everything based on that assumption.

Is this the only lead/acid battery left? Did you do the test that @Sir Nibble recommended of disconnecting the negative cable from the battery and seeing if the engine refuses to turn over? Never assume anything with boat electrics!

Jen

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Change that useless cheapo battery isolater switch for a real one while you are at it ?

Agreed. They are notorious for failing. If going to all that trouble I would be swapping it to a Blue Sea or similar.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Is this the only lead/acid battery left? Did you do the test that @Sir Nibble recommended of disconnecting the negative cable from the battery and seeing if the engine refuses to turn over? Never assume anything with boat electrics!

Jen

Yes, the engine didn't start, thanks.

48 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

How did it work without any nut on either connection?

I had taken the nuts off to remove an inverter that I'd previously installed (onto the "starter" battery, apparently), they're back on now.

3 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

Thanks everyone, seems like it's safe to assume it's the starter battery, We'll install everything based on that assumption.

Act based on an assumption, eh?  I wonder if that has ever caused a problem?  :D

Anyway, if you're struggling to identify the battery by other more engineering based methods, how's about you disconnect it and try your starter?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

see post *-1

Well, yes, I did, but thinking it "seems to connect..." and then making an assumption wouldn't be enough for me - would it you?  A few seconds with a 10mm spanner will give a definitive answer.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Agreed. They are notorious for failing. If going to all that trouble I would be swapping it to a Blue Sea or similar.

They're what I've got, and have failed once in the past, not that I ever use them. Blue Sea seem a bit over the top seeing as how they're permanently on, so any other suggestions?

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are you installing your Lithium batteries and the control system?

4 hours ago, Thomas C King said:

I forgot to mention, we are also going to use a Victron LiFePo4 battery management system :)

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I wonder if maybe DC was asking because it seems a stretch for someone having difficulty in identifying whether that battery is his starter battery...?

I suspect OP isn't doing his own installation.

I could be wrong, in which case it's likely to end in tears.

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I suspect OP isn't doing his own installation.

I could be wrong, in which case it's likely to end in tears.

No, we are doing it ourselves. The manual is pretty clear. I've measured the length of cable and worked out the size. And we're not changing anything other than the batteries for now. I'm not sure what is likely to go wrong, but even if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world.

Edited by Thomas C King