Has anyone had there boat paint within the last year and not happy with it?

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you don't already have some I HIGHLY recommend a pair of strap-on knee pads.  Screwfix do pretty good ones.  They're difficult to get on with initially but they're a Godsend when you have to do much kneeling.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-optimus-gel-knee-pads/74372

Road menders used to make there own by cutting into segments old car tyres and fixing fixing straps to them,, good treads though as they walked on their knees a lot and didn't want to slip.  Good Year Town and Country was popular. Faster workers used Dunlop C41's or Michelin X.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If you don't already have some I HIGHLY recommend a pair of strap-on knee pads.  Screwfix do pretty good ones.  They're difficult to get on with initially but they're a Godsend when you have to do much kneeling.

I agree. My boat "uniform"is bib and brace with knee pad pockets.

Even when not painting or doing jobs on the boat,a lot of time is spent on your knees,getting stuff out of lockers and cupboards,checking engine oil etc.Even mooring up can be easier on your knees rather than bending down.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Even mooring up can be easier on your knees rather than bending down

My back won't let me bend down, so if it's low down then on my knees I go.

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

knee pad pockets.

I much prefer those to the strap ones.  Every time I try and use the strap ones I manage to cut off circulation to my lower legs/feet, then I adjust the straps and the ruddy things go sideways so do nothing.

Knee pads in the trousers are great, until you forget to put the pads in and kneel down a bit hard ...

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I had a 'rip off' back to metal re-paint about 4 years ago. Arranged on the rebound from another person who could not deliver as a result of a genuine and verifiable injury,. The rip off merchant was backed by a supposedly reputable company.(details via PM) I called him back for an unsatisfactory panel within 48 hours. Initially  said he would re-paint panel when he could book wet dock. Within minutes , egged on by partner, returned to say that he couldn't afford to re-book dock but he would do job on the bank. Told him that was not acceptable but he wouldn't shift. Phoned parent company who disclaimed all responsilility as painter was self employed. (who was not answering his phone to me)

Paint started to 'walk off boat within months. Since then it's been a losing battle. Soon became obvious that the agreed x2 primer, x2 undercoat and x2 topcoat was a pipedream. I suspect no primer, one undercoat and one or two topcoat depending where. Just before lockdown I investigated serious rust all over the roof. I can remove 30mm x 30mm flakes with a Stanley blade. The metal underneath is bright with not a hint of rust. This suggests(to me) poor prep. So far as I can see the flaking paint comprises one undercoat and one topcoat (anti slip). 

The obvious answer is another, proper, repaint. Unfotrtunately whilst the money isn't an issue age 73 and covid 19 are. So, in the coming months it looks like I'll be painting the roof myself. (anyone got a spare pair of knees? ) ?

This sounds a bit like paint without a primer. A good primer is essential.

I have concluded that the paint on a boat roof is a consumable, a bit like batteries. A raddle type paint is the answer. Repair the bad bits every year (under the winter bags of coal) and do a partial or full repaint every 4 years. A trad style raddle roof is easy to maintain and looks ok even if badly done so its ok to just replace a section, much easier than doing the whole lot in one go. It looks a bit patchy at first but blends in after a few months. I did our whole roof on the towpath at Stone last summer. It was much too hot and dusty, the paint dragged so I had to do it in sections as a wet edge was impossible. It looked dead dodgy at first but its ok now. The dust helps the anti-slip.

..............Dave

• Haha 1

Thanks guys for all your views...I have been back in contact and send photos etc,  just waiting to see want happens, I may just sort out the rust problems myself, Then I know there done. I was disappointed about the paint work after job was finished that's why I got some free time extra but really I should have ask around more before agreeing to have it painted. Thanks again

Boat painting is an area where it looks very easy to get ripped off. With a bit of practice anybody can set themselves up as a boat painter (though the skill still eludes me). Some have painted a mates boat on the towpath and now they are a painter. Others have their own wet dock, a proper apprenticeship, and years of experience, but these don't come cheap.

If its cheap then there is a risk, though I have seen some pretty good painting from some lower cost painters. Trouble is even some reputable yards turn out a bad job if they are a bit rushed or having a bit of a cash flow crisis.

I suspect going for a painter with a known name is probably much safer than going to yard with a known name but just a subcontracting painter.

We need a repaint, probably next year, and I am looking for somebody to do it, but I will want to be present for the whole process.

..................Dave

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Wot kneeling is this?

The only problem I have is getting down, and having done that, finding it's even worse trying to get up  again. I just have to bend over, and use a roller with a long handle. I find it is best to take a few Ibuprofen and panadol if I am going to do these acrobatics.

PS there were a lot of handy tools in Lidl this week including a neat anglegrinder, the batteries were £14.99

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Boat painting is an area where it looks very easy to get ripped off. With a bit of practice anybody can set themselves up as a boat painter (though the skill still eludes me). Some have painted a mates boat on the towpath and now they are a painter. Others have their own wet dock, a proper apprenticeship, and years of experience, but these don't come cheap.

If its cheap then there is a risk, though I have seen some pretty good painting from some lower cost painters. Trouble is even some reputable yards turn out a bad job if they are a bit rushed or having a bit of a cash flow crisis.

I suspect going for a painter with a known name is probably much safer than going to yard with a known name but just a subcontracting painter.

We need a repaint, probably next year, and I am looking for somebody to do it, but I will want to be present for the whole process.

..................Dave

You'll be popular!, why not just do it yourslf, though it might take two weeks, even in ideal circumstances.

I'm no expert, and neither do I seek fancy finish, but I managed to do my own, my boat, by some miracle has almost no rust, so prep has been sanding, sanding. painting, sanding, paint, sand, paint, repeat

45 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You'll be popular!, why not just do it yourslf, though it might take two weeks, even in ideal circumstances.

I'm no expert, and neither do I seek fancy finish, but I managed to do my own, my boat, by some miracle has almost no rust, so prep has been sanding, sanding. painting, sanding, paint, sand, paint, repeat

It might come to that, but professional painters do a nice job. Painting has to be done indoors (unless you get very lucky) and there is enough work getting all the portholes out and other stuff removed so I reckon one peron doing all the bits and pieces whilst the other does the actual painting is the way to go. This is how we approach the blacking, we pay the yard to do the actual blacking and we get on with all the other jobs whilst in the dock.

If this recent weather turns out to be our long term weather pattern then I might think again, though its actually been a bit hot for panting, I'm only doing little bits but still getting through a load of additive.

.............Dave

6 hours ago, dmr said:

It might come to that, but professional painters do a nice job. Painting has to be done indoors (unless you get very lucky) and there is enough work getting all the portholes out and other stuff removed so I reckon one peron doing all the bits and pieces whilst the other does the actual painting is the way to go. This is how we approach the blacking, we pay the yard to do the actual blacking and we get on with all the other jobs whilst in the dock.

If this recent weather turns out to be our long term weather pattern then I might think again, though its actually been a bit hot for panting, I'm only doing little bits but still getting through a load of additive.

.............Dave

I use a chlorinated rubber [Rustoleum Combi Color] it goes very drippy in the heat, but when it's like that it's great for doing the roof, just pour it on and roll.

7 hours ago, dmr said:

...If this recent weather turns out to be our long term weather pattern then I might think again, though its actually been a bit hot for panting....

Au Contraire.

This is the ideal weather for panting.

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, dmr said:

.............Dave

It poured down last June....for a lot of the month.

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

It's not so much the actual kneeling it's the getting down and getting back up again. Imagine a giraffe.? 

20 hours ago, dmr said:

This sounds a bit like paint without a primer. A good primer is essential.

I have concluded that the paint on a boat roof is a consumable, a bit like batteries. A raddle type paint is the answer. Repair the bad bits every year (under the winter bags of coal) and do a partial or full repaint every 4 years. A trad style raddle roof is easy to maintain and looks ok even if badly done so its ok to just replace a section, much easier than doing the whole lot in one go. It looks a bit patchy at first but blends in after a few months. I did our whole roof on the towpath at Stone last summer. It was much too hot and dusty, the paint dragged so I had to do it in sections as a wet edge was impossible. It looked dead dodgy at first but its ok now. The dust helps the anti-slip.

..............Dave

You're right. Went to the boat today for a couple of hours and flicked some more paint off. with a powerful magnifying glass it looks like x 1 undercoat and x 1 non slip topcoat. Strongly suspect no primer anywhere.

15 minutes ago, Slim said:

You're right. Went to the boat today for a couple of hours and flicked some more paint off. with a powerful magnifying glass it looks like x 1 undercoat and x 1 non slip topcoat. Strongly suspect no primer anywhere.

Looking on the bright side, at least it will be easy to get back to bare metal for a repaint ?

Next time maybe go for an epoxy primer and a couple of easy to maintain coats of one-pack raddle on top. I think Ive seen your boat and a functional style roof would fit in quite well?

.................Dave

15 hours ago, soforene said:

Au Contraire.

Depends if you're in direct sun or in the shade. If you're in the sun the steel is too hot to maintain a wet edge on the brush.

I've had to paint my boat from my dinghy at my morning because the bank side is in the sun and the steel is far too hot. I bought a couple of big magnets with eye bolts from eBay and tied the dinghy onto them. I wrapped the magnets in cloth to protect the paint. It's worked quite well even though I had to use a socket extension bar to get the magnets off!

IMG-20200528-WA0001.jpeg

Edited by blackrose

15 hours ago, soforene said:

Au Contraire.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Depends if you're in direct sun or in the shade...

Methinks you missed the typo that soforene was referring to...

• Greenie 1