Has anyone had there boat paint within the last year and not happy with it?

Featured Posts

The boat was painted by Tony Martin and I am not happy with it... there rusted coming through and it not been a year 

There a just a couple of images, I gave up after 20 different shots. Also didn't fill some parts for the boat before painting. ? Has anyone paid out a lot of money to get there boat painted and what action would you take? 

Thanks 

IMG_4249.JPG

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg

What was agreed in writing for the paint job?

Back to metal? Remove all windows and ancillaries? Treat all rust with x? How many coats of primer, undercoat and top coat?

7 minutes ago, Redboat said:

The boat was painted by Tony Martin and I am not happy with it... there rusted coming through and it not been a year 

There a just a couple of images, I gave up after 20 different shots. Also didn't fill some parts for the boat before painting. ? Has anyone paid out a lot of money to get there boat painted and what action would you take? 

Thanks 

IMG_4249.JPG

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg

I don't know Mr Martin, what has he said about it?

It was Agreed to remove all rust and paint boat, I'll have to look back want I've got in writing, The boats not that old and the paint work was great from new, so didn't go back to Metal, he used rust remove, oil base, there undercoat and then top coat because I kept going back and checking on the work. 

31 minutes ago, Redboat said:

It was Agreed to remove all rust and paint boat, I'll have to look back want I've got in writing, The boats not that old and the paint work was great from new, so didn't go back to Metal, he used rust remove, oil base, there undercoat and then top coat because I kept going back and checking on the work. 

So you are saying that when you gave him your boat to paint you thought he only did the work to the agreed spec because you were supervising? Sounds a bit strange, or did I misinertpret?

PS, I find I get better results when I discuss problems direct, definately not through a public forum. It is only going to enrage the man.

Edited by LadyG

23 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I don't know Mr Martin...

I know one Tony Martin, he’s a good mate - he used to front Black Sabbath. 

I know of another Tony Martin - he shot some eejits that were burgling his house. 

I doubt that it’s either of them though...

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I know of another Tony Martin - he shot some eejits that were burgling his house. 

Tony Martin and I had a quick fumble at the back of Mount Vernon Tennis Club, .. oh sorry that was Billy Martin [blushes]

4 minutes ago, Redboat said:

It was agreed to professional paint the whole boat 

That really means nothing, except that you were to pay him.

Edited by LadyG

If its less than a year I would defo go back to the yard to get them to fix it, even if they have repaired some previously. It is not easy to spot every bit of 'poor surface' if you are leaving the existing paint in situ over large areas.

Was the job done under cover? I guess as it is not a year old it was done last summer when weather conditions were right (er No!). Painting outside in the UK is difficult at the best of times unless you are in a temperature controlled paint shop.

wow... yes it's looking that way, I did phone around and went to look at painter work... was really busy with work. I just find it a waste of money in the end. 

Yes, it was paint undercover and we had a heat wave too. I've sent him picture too waiting to hear back. 

25 minutes ago, Redboat said:

Define please?

You may have wanted a standard not easily achieved for various reasons.

Did you define the anticipated lifespan of said paint job, did the painter?  did anyone?

Has the boat not moved in a year? Has it been near a wet environment?

You either told him the make of paint to use or agreed it.  Does the manufacturer agree with your expectations?

Were you happy with job on collection?

I'm questioning all of these issues as I paint my own boat's upperworks  most years and most years I'm disappointed it needs doing again. 

I've tried giving me a stern talking to, but constantly find as a customer I left too many measurables uncovered or different opinions between me on what's achievable/realistic.

• Haha 1

A bare metal repaint is the best way to get a rust free start, and as said expect an absolute minimum of £100/foot.

Refreshing old paint should be ok, a good painter will remove any "surface" rust and go to bare metal in the rusted area. However there might well be spots where rust is hiding behind the original paint ready to burst out and the repaint will likely only delay this. This is just a risk you have to take.

The rust in your pictures looks more like deeper "structural rust" to me and will require some angle grinder work and even a little welding to resolve it. This is not the sort of thing painters might normally do, its more the job of a boat "engineer". I would have hoped that your painter told you that he was painting over some suspect areas. I doubt this rust has just appeared in the last year.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Redboat said:

All that guarantees is you need to pay him, as there are no standards specified, it sounds as though he did as asked, but maybe was not the best painter for the job, or his 'professional' teeth sucking etc was ignored when he said 'I would normally ....'

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

probably not German professional road cyclist Tony Martin either, the silver medal from the 2012 olympics would be a dead giveaway

6 hours ago, Redboat said:

He gave me one free half day already, but I've not gone back to him this time. 

So he knows he did a poor job, and gave you half a day free.

Given that each bit of rust needs grinding/sanding back, treating with Vactan/similar, the at least 4 coats of paint, and preferably 6, you weren't going to get much of the work done on a free half day.

It strikes me that he isn't a good painter so, whatever he comes back and does for you, will not be good. I probably wouldn't want him anywhere near my boat ever again.

Sometimes you have to write stuff like this off and put it down to experience. Is it beyond you to grind down the rust bits to metal, give each bit a couple of coats of Vactan, primer, and undercoat.

Once you have done this, you could decide whether to do the topcoat yourself, or try and find a professional with a good reputation.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

So you join this forum with a blue boat just to diss a painter without speaking to him or sending him a photo first...

I read that the painter had already given him a free half day of work, which would suggest that he has spoken to him, that he's been back, and achieved little.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Looks like you’ve been ripped off. 
I paint (DIY) like I can’t be arsed but what I do lasts at least a couple of years or more. 

Who knows?

You must have  asked for emulsion?

if I’d paid money for that I’d be straight back to them 

I paint DIY quite carefully, but am definitely no expert. Where I have painted has lasted more than a few years with no sign of rust. The rust removal, and first few coats are not rocket science.... the final coats of topcoat are rocket science :)

• Greenie 1

I had a 'rip off' back to metal re-paint about 4 years ago. Arranged on the rebound from another person who could not deliver as a result of a genuine and verifiable injury,. The rip off merchant was backed by a supposedly reputable company.(details via PM) I called him back for an unsatisfactory panel within 48 hours. Initially  said he would re-paint panel when he could book wet dock. Within minutes , egged on by partner, returned to say that he couldn't afford to re-book dock but he would do job on the bank. Told him that was not acceptable but he wouldn't shift. Phoned parent company who disclaimed all responsilility as painter was self employed. (who was not answering his phone to me)

Paint started to 'walk off boat within months. Since then it's been a losing battle. Soon became obvious that the agreed x2 primer, x2 undercoat and x2 topcoat was a pipedream. I suspect no primer, one undercoat and one or two topcoat depending where. Just before lockdown I investigated serious rust all over the roof. I can remove 30mm x 30mm flakes with a Stanley blade. The metal underneath is bright with not a hint of rust. This suggests(to me) poor prep. So far as I can see the flaking paint comprises one undercoat and one topcoat (anti slip). 

The obvious answer is another, proper, repaint. Unfotrtunately whilst the money isn't an issue age 73 and covid 19 are. So, in the coming months it looks like I'll be painting the roof myself. (anyone got a spare pair of knees? ) ?

3 minutes ago, Slim said:

(anyone got a spare pair of knees? ) ?

If you don't already have some I HIGHLY recommend a pair of strap-on knee pads.  Screwfix do pretty good ones.  They're difficult to get on with initially but they're a Godsend when you have to do much kneeling.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-optimus-gel-knee-pads/74372