Topping up oil in lister sr3

Featured Posts

Yeah I never did that before, I want to ensure the oil levels fine before I move it on the 6th. I want to attempt a complete oil change within the next few weeks. 

So what oil do I need. And as far as I understand it goes in one of the openings on the rocker cover? Just one or all 3. And, how much? All very rookie questions so laugh it up, but please take pity on me help aswell ??

15 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Yeah I never did that before, I want to ensure the oil levels fine before I move it on the 6th. I want to attempt a complete oil change within the next few weeks. 

So what oil do I need. And as far as I understand it goes in one of the openings on the rocker cover? Just one or all 3. And, how much? All very rookie questions so laugh it up, but please take pity on me help aswell ??

Before the real experts come along (I only have an SR2 genset, but I imagine that the extra pot doesn't make much difference for putting oil inti it.

Here goes,

Put the oil into eny of the fillers on top.

Don't put too much in. On mine the difference between the bottom marker and the top is very small, thus just add a bit at a time and take readings as you proceed.

I use 15/40 MINERAL oil (semi synth IM(H)O is too good (too slipery)

You may not need any at all.

Now, what do the experts say...

Ti's is very helpful this advice thank you. Have you ever done an oil change on yours, as I understand it yours is similar to mine. Where do reckon the drain would be situated, or is there a pump I can get to bring it out a different way, I've heard you can attempt it through the dipstick... Tube? 

Drain plug is on starboard side of crankcase, usually square headed plug. Oil capacity varies slightly between 12 and 13.1/2 pints. If you put 12 pints in first and then dip the oil and add more if needed. You might have an external oil filter too.

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Drain plug is on starboard side of crankcase, usually square headed plug. Oil capacity varies slightly between 12 and 13.1/2 pints. If you put 12 pints in first and then dip the oil and add more if needed. You might have an external oil filter too.

Thank you. Will look. Now I can't see a oil filter, and I have heard sr3 do not have a oil filter, and I can't see one on mine. Only a small red one that I'm sure is the fuel filter?... Also, will it be OK just to top up the oil so I can move it, mixing oil is fine for one move or no? and will the oil drain if I don't run the engine first and warm it? (riddled with anxiety about totally fubaring my engine, never cared for an engine before ??

30 minutes ago, Soozie said:

Thank you. Will look. Now I can't see a oil filter, and I have heard sr3 do not have a oil filter, and I can't see one on mine. Only a small red one that I'm sure is the fuel filter?... Also, will it be OK just to top up the oil so I can move it, mixing oil is fine for one move or no? and will the oil drain if I don't run the engine first and warm it? (riddled with anxiety about totally fubaring my engine, never cared for an engine before ??

An oil filter was an extra add on for marine use if wanted but some industrial sr3's have them. The small red bowl highish up on the engine would be the fuel filter. I should say, yes, top up and move the boat. Run the engine up to normal temperature before changing the oil though, to get rid of muck.

If you are lucky the engine will be fitted with a sump drain pump looking something like this.

203800-angle-b.jpg

If not you have to undo the drain plug and let the oil drain out. This can be messy!

If you also want to change the gearbox oil that is a separate operation.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If you are lucky the engine will be fitted with a sump drain pump looking something like this.

203800-angle-b.jpg

If not you have to undo the drain plug and let the oil drain out. This can be messy!

If you also want to change the gearbox oil that is a separate operation.

yeah saw one of them in a you tube video, looked for it on my boat and of corse no such luck. So I got drunk and forgot about it ??. Gear box oil, do you think I should do that at the same time, is it a similar process? 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

An oil filter was an extra add on for marine use if wanted but some industrial sr3's have them. The small red bowl highish up on the engine would be the fuel filter. I should say, yes, top up and move the boat. Run the engine up to normal temperature before changing the oil though, to get rid of muck.

Thank you that's helpful. ??

I have an SR2 (without oil filter)  with impossible to use sump plug.  You mentioned via dip stick, this is what I use. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323995012236?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=323995012236&targetid=4585513247727125&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=352035895&mkgroupid=1310618085202654&rlsatarget=pla-4585513247727125&abcId=1140256&merchantid=87779&msclkid=4331368fb3841e23d673685eca8f1a1c

I change my gearbox and reduction box oil when it looks, smells and feels grotty on their respective dipsticks.  Not very scientific I know, a lot of my life has relied on "suck it and see".

• Happy 1