Farmer watering fields with canal water

bmp

Featured Posts

Are farmers allowed to use the water from the canal to water their crops ?

I have had a few walks along the Leeds Liverpool canal near Scarisbrick over the last week and each time have noticed several hoses in the canal pumping water over the fields. 

Also over the last week or 2 I have had emails from the CRT warning about canal closures due to water shortage on certain parts of this and other canals. 

5 minutes ago, bmp said:

Are farmers allowed to use the water from the canal to water their crops ?

I have had a few walks along the Leeds Liverpool canal near Scarisbrick over the last week and each time have noticed several hoses in the canal pumping water over the fields. 

Also over the last week or 2 I have had emails from the CRT warning about canal closures due to water shortage on certain parts of this and other canals. 

Yes - they have to pay for an extraction licence.

C&RTs income from extraction licences is greater than from Boat licences.

You could view it as Farmers & Industry are more important to C&RTs coffers than boaters are,

Edit to add 'the figures' for 2019

Boat licences generate £21m

Water extraction / discharge etc generates £29.9m

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

Just now, bmp said:

Thanks for the info. 

I was hoping that it would be controlled in some way. 

Once an extraction licence is granted it cannot be rescinded during the life of the licence, so, if (for example) the canal water levels are low, they are legally obliged to do something to keep the farmer etc supplied.

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

am i right in thinking they are only allowed to extract a certain volume of water? Although how CRT measures this i've no idea.

Yes, & the pumps are metered.

• Greenie 2

We sold about 40 acres of land to the neighbouring estate on which they have built in phase 1 a  230,000,000 litres reservoir with 1.2 metres freeboard (phase 2 will be another the same). They had to apply to the EA for an extraction licence and permission to run 15 miles of underground piping to the River. They are limited to a certain number of litres per annum.

Agricultural water is 'big business' with it costing them £5m to build phase 1, but phase 2 should be a lesser amount as the pipework is already in place.

Screenshot (190).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We sold about 40 acres of land to the neighbouring estate on which they have built in phase 1 a  230,000,000 litres reservoir with 1.2 metres freeboard (phase 2 will be another the same). They had to apply to the EA for an extraction licence and permission to run 15 miles of underground piping to the River. They are limited to a certain number of litres per annum.

Agricultural water is 'big business' with it costing them £5m to build phase 1, but phase 2 should be a lesser amount as the pipework is already in place.

Screenshot (190).png

There is one near me with the same deal, he pumps water from the river Hundred in the autumn winter months and has to pay for it. It the winter they have to pump the water from the River Hundred into the sea, so its a double win for them, get paid for the water someone else is pumping out of the river so you dont have to. The Hundred is pumped into the sea a Benacre  

image.png

image.png