Removing Alde heater

PNB116

Featured Posts

Just now, David Mack said:

Or just get a certified gas bod to disconnect the gas and cap off the pipe. Anyone can remove the boiler.

I think that for BSS compliance they'd have to remove the entire branch to the boiler, not simply cap it off.

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I think that for BSS compliance they'd have to remove the entire branch to the boiler, not simply cap it off.

Yes. Cap off where the Alde feed branches off the rest of the gas pipework. Anyone can then remove the redundant branch pipe.

Just now, David Mack said:

Yes. Cap off where the Alde feed branches off the rest of the gas pipework.

Strictly speaking, that's not compliant either as it results in an 'unnecessary connection' in the pipe.  Depending on the layout it might have to be re-piped from the gas locker bulkhead to the first device.

On 29/05/2020 at 10:01, WotEver said:

Strictly speaking, that's not compliant either as it results in an 'unnecessary connection' in the pipe.  Depending on the layout it might have to be re-piped from the gas locker bulkhead to the first device.

I removed my alde which had the effect of reducing multiple connections down to one thereby overall making a safer pipe run . This was viewed pragmatically and did not affect the certification.

It could also be argued that the connection was a neccesary connection in that it was there ready for a future reinstating of a boiler system. 

I think only a truly pedantic inspector would fail a connection  that was multiple times safer than that which it replaced. 

43 minutes ago, reg said:

I think only a truly pedantic inspector would fail a connection  that was multiple times safer than that which it replaced. 

On that we are agreed. :)