Long distance moving.

Callum4878

Featured Posts

Hi all,

purchase of my first boat is progressing, awaiting survey currently. Will need to move her from North Oxford canal to Lancashire once completed, and I’m told CRT can grant a pass to allow this in these troubled times. Anyone know if this possible, and how difficult it would be with the locks etc not being used for some time? I have enquired of CRT but no response yet.

57 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Hi all,

purchase of my first boat is progressing, awaiting survey currently. Will need to move her from North Oxford canal to Lancashire once completed, and I’m told CRT can grant a pass to allow this in these troubled times. Anyone know if this possible, and how difficult it would be with the locks etc not being used for some time? I have enquired of CRT but no response yet.

You don't need a pass from the first of June.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

From 1st June you may make longer journeys subject to some issues on some canals . Please red the following link

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-28-may-2020

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that missive from CRT implies that if the boat is not your primary residence you still can't stay onboard overnight.

Things to know before commencing a longer journey on your boat after 1 June:

• All Government guidelines should be followed – this includes; regular handwashing, especially before and after using any facility or structure, social distancing and only members of your household being on your boat.
  • Unless your boat is your primary residence (i.e. you permanently live on it) overnight stays on your boat are not currently permitted.

19 minutes ago, pearley said:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that missive from CRT implies that if the boat is not your primary residence you still can't stay onboard overnight.

Things to know before commencing a longer journey on your boat after 1 June:

• All Government guidelines should be followed – this includes; regular handwashing, especially before and after using any facility or structure, social distancing and only members of your household being on your boat.
  • Unless your boat is your primary residence (i.e. you permanently live on it) overnight stays on your boat are not currently permitted.

I live on my boat.  However, right at the beggining of lockdown, I moved into a house to stay with someone else.  In that time I have done a very limited number of quick visits to my boat for specific reasons.  I am planning to move back onto my boat in the near future and set off cruising.  Am I doing right here?  I still consider my boat to be my primary residence, but I have been away from it for the last couple of months.

I said that without pressing a key! ? Thanks to all as usual for the helpful responses, ?for a good result on the pre purchase survey and I’m on my way!

Anyone any opinions on good/bad insurance and breakdown cover? I’m pretty handy and can fix a lot of stuff, but I’m told breakdown cover is a must.

2 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

I said that without pressing a key! ? Thanks to all as usual for the helpful responses, ?for a good result on the pre purchase survey and I’m on my way!

Anyone any opinions on good/bad insurance and breakdown cover? I’m pretty handy and can fix a lot of stuff, but I’m told breakdown cover is a must.

Start with Craftinsure online and see what they quote you for insurance.

If it's a "project boat" (code for knackered) then RCR cover makes sense, especially on a new-to-you boat.   Who told you breakdown cover is a must, and are they capable of fixing or bodging things on the boat themselves?

My breakdown cover is tools on the boat and the usual spares, and the ability to get anything "odd" delivered by courier.  This doesn't work if you can't tell an engine from a propeller, but if you are handy you should be fine.

If you like gambling, it is possible to join RCR after you have broken down for an extra fee! :D

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I pay for a retainer form RCR - how  that actually works in practice, I have yet to discover ........

I used my retainer membership 2 days ago for the first time ever.  The service was excellent.  From the call to the guy arriving was about 25 minutes. He fixed the problem and used a part which I was charged a very reasonable £10.  All done in about an hour.  My boat went from not working to working.  I'd already spent a few hours trying to fix it myself.  Should have saved myself the bother.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I live on my boat.  However, right at the beggining of lockdown, I moved into a house to stay with someone else.  In that time I have done a very limited number of quick visits to my boat for specific reasons.  I am planning to move back onto my boat in the near future and set off cruising.  Am I doing right here?  I still consider my boat to be my primary residence, but I have been away from it for the last couple of months.

Do what you feel right. I was just giving CRTs advice. It is supposedly based on caravan sites still being closed but I don't really think it's a proper comparison.

For our own part we extended our winter mooring in a marina until the end of June but are planning on leaving in a week or two and recommence cruising.

4 minutes ago, pearley said:

Do what you feel right. I was just giving CRTs advice. It is supposedly based on caravan sites still being closed but I don't really think it's a proper comparison.

For our own part we extended our winter mooring in a marina until the end of June but are planning on leaving in a week or two and recommence cruising.

If that's the comparison then I agree it's not valid.  Caravan sites involve a lot of sharing of communal facilities, and by definition, lots of people crowded into a confined space.  These things just don't apply on the canal.  When I need to work locks, empty cassettes or fill with water, I will take extra precautions of course.  But apart from that, I will be nicely isolated from everyone.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

That's only a few hours in each 24 hr period for the next few weeks . It hardly seem worth the journey home for a few hours . People may make their own mind up about obeying the guidelines.

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Smelly has flitted between places during the pandemic, so you could ask him what he thinks :) 

1 hour ago, Callum4878 said:

I'm with GJW and, a few years ago, they started including a basic RCR membership with their cover. I guess RCR hope I will upgrade, but I haven't felt the need so far.

Given that GJW are a well recognised insurer with a good reputation, they might have just what you want.

40 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

If that's the comparison then I agree it's not valid.  Caravan sites involve a lot of sharing of communal facilities, and by definition, lots of people crowded into a confined space.  These things just don't apply on the canal.  When I need to work locks, empty cassettes or fill with water, I will take extra precautions of course.  But apart from that, I will be nicely isolated from everyone.

In reality, moving home has been allowed since the start of this thing, so moving from one home to another is perfectly legal.

It might be buried deep in the rules/guidelines/advice but it was often discussed in estate agency and landlord news in the early days of the thing. I've had at least one tenant move back into a flat that he vacated for some repairs. 

13 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Smelly has flitted between places during the pandemic, so you could ask him what he thinks :) 

I'm with GJW and, a few years ago, they started including a basic RCR membership with their cover. I guess RCR hope I will upgrade, but I haven't felt the need so far.

Given that GJW are a well recognised insurer with a good reputation, they might have just what you want.

I am also with GJW and would recommend them

When I bought my boat 6 years sgo, RCR excluded free callouts for the first two weeks of the policy.

As the boat was unknown to me I started cover the day I had confirmation of a satisfactory survey, so that I had full cover by the time the purchase was complete.