Morrells wood treatment?

Featured Posts

My Collingwood boat needs a coat on the bow doors now (four years old). The handbook states that the natural wood finishes in the boat are treated with Morrells (not a varnish).

Morrells just seems to be a brand name.

Anyone know which product to use?

Being a Collingwood, you probably need to find out what wood it is and treat it properly......quickly, as they will have slapped a few coats of something readily available in the workshop on and sent it out regardless.?

32 minutes ago, Dave W said:

My Collingwood boat needs a coat on the bow doors now (four years old). The handbook states that the natural wood finishes in the boat are treated with Morrells (not a varnish).

Morrells just seems to be a brand name.

Anyone know which product to use?

It's probably Omnia Clear, but it could equally be Omnia Preserve (or indeed another Morrells finish).  I suggest you phone Collingwood and ask.

Sorry Dave, far too much experience of Liverpool/Collinwood ....they probably specify lots of things, but if they arent in place on launch, then why a certain brand in after sales.. 

I've no doubt they specify a well known brand name for blacking bow thruster tubes.....but when they don't even coat them prior to first launch, you are always playing catch up.

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I found Sadolin [the most expensive one]  was the best thing for boats...

It used to be good 20 years ago, but like everything else that's now water based it's horrible these days.

23 minutes ago, Dave W said:

oddly I never asked which woodstain to put in my thruster tubes or a review of my boat but there you go.

If I had given you an EXPLANATION for my experience as to why you should treat your specifications with caution and you posted the above i would not be a happy chap.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

If I had given you an EXPLANATION for my experience as to why you should treat your specifications with caution and you posted the above i would not be a happy chap.

I'm always happy Tony.....live in a boat, work with boats,painting boats.....married to a boat...

loving wife.

IME with exterior finishes and especially where "marine" (on the water) is concerned, is that you need a different prodict for anything that's outside. 

I had to use finishes for 'the salty stuff' on exterior woodlwrk. Nothing ense lasted more than half a season

7 hours ago, WotEver said:

It used to be good 20 years ago, but like everything else that's now water based it's horrible these days.

Yes that's what I found. Didn't last a year on my deckboard.

I used Le Tonkinous, but you still need to lightly rub it down and put another coat on each year, if it to last.

I have Iroko garden gates treated from new with Osmo Oil and that only lasts a year at best.

My neighbour swears by Sikkens, but I don't have any personal experience of it.

On 28/05/2020 at 21:10, WotEver said:

It's probably Omnia Clear, but it could equally be Omnia Preserve (or indeed another Morrells finish).  I suggest you phone Collingwood and ask.

They used Omnia Clear on mine. It didn't seem to hold up well in exterior locations that were heavily exposed to the sun / UV. Bow doors were fine (I had a cratch cover) but the dog box needed redoing after a couple of years.