Lost Canals

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

On 29/05/2020 at 14:34, The Happy Nomad said:

The start of the abandoned Derby Canal at it's junction with the Trent and Mersey at Swarkestone.

Derby canal.JPG

Not that I’ve ever wanted to, but why can’t wind at that junction. There’s signs suggesting you don’t!

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Not that I’ve ever wanted to, but why can’t wind at that junction. There’s signs suggesting you don’t!

Probably because of the LTM's. ???

But cant say for sure.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My thoughts to, but is it their piece of water?

Its probably another example of a 'non official' notice, but tbh I cant recall what it looks like.

31 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My thoughts to, but is it their piece of water?

I believe the water is owned by the moorings,  a bit like the bit we own at Langley mill,  its wide enough to wind but private water. 

17 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I believe the water is owned by the moorings,  a bit like the bit we own at Langley mill,  its wide enough to wind but private water. 

Fair comment. But..............why not? 

I guess if they own the water they can do what they want with it. We don't stop people winding, and sometimes we have to use it if there are too many visitors mooring. The thing with swarkestone is it is very windy most of the time and I guess moorers boats have been damaged by being struck.

How about this for a seriously lost canal. Barely visible over a hundred years ago. The only clues, a short length of earthworks in a field labelled Old Canal and a property called The Wharf. The Leominster Canal, just outside Leominster. A rural location, so no new roads, or industrial and housing estates to obliterate it. Just time and farming.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=52.23880&lon=-2.72644&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Jen

leominster-canal.jpg.8d8e5423b742879abc026ba78ef3bec3.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Jen

This is how it would have been if completed, they only built the green bits

image.png.2d2f2d855ce65c245dd1762932d9e6f7.png

Site of planned junction with the river Severn, they did dig a ceremonial sod buts that's about all.

image.png.693e34cb0689b8bfa9e127a04add0db3.png

Richard Dean republished the original 1789 survey by Thomas Dadford you can find a copy if you are lucky.

1 minute ago, Pluto said:

The Bottling Wood canal, near Wigan.

Another obscure one to add to my map.

12 minutes ago, Pluto said:

The Bottling Wood canal, near Wigan.

Sometimes Mike, I suspect you make things up just to see if we're paying attention ;) 

Compstall Navigation - not lost at all as it still very much exists, but many people won't know it was ever a navigation

Leaves on the north side of the large lake in the GE image and parallel's the river for about a mile

Compstall Navigation.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How about this for a seriously lost canal. Barely visible over a hundred years ago. The only clues, a short length of earthworks in a field labelled Old Canal and a property called The Wharf. The Leominster Canal, just outside Leominster. 

Actually, there's more earthworks visible than marked on the map near the spot you highlighted. A number of public footpaths follow the route or are very close to it and I walked part of it last December. I'd recommend an explore.

3 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Actually, there's more earthworks visible than marked on the map near the spot you highlighted. A number of public footpaths follow the route or are very close to it and I walked part of it last December. I'd recommend an explore.

I was surprised there was so little on the map, given it was only around 40 to 50 years after it was abandoned. Perhaps the map surveyor had had a long day tramping over fields and wanted to get back to the Inn for supper!

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I was surprised there was so little on the map, given it was only around 40 to 50 years after it was abandoned. Perhaps the map surveyor had had a long day tramping over fields and wanted to get back to the Inn for supper!

Part of it went under the railway but if you follow the old railway line there are a number of canal loops visible that can still be found. https://www.theleominstercanal.co.uk 

There is also the proposed canal from near Burscough to Southport. The first section, from just to the west of Marsh Lane, ran north to Merscar Lane, and the photo shows the embankment just to the north of the lane. Locks would have descended towards Martin Mere. Archive material in Lancs RO is:

DDSc 80/10, Southport Canal 1877

Original line from Scarisbrick Bridge, across Gorsuch Lane, Birkdale Cop, to Corporation Manure Yard at Ash Lane, Higher Blowick; or to south of Trap Lane to East Bank St.

Engineer: James Prescott, Lord St, Liverpool.

DDSc 161/3 Southport Canal 1879

Runs parallel to Drummersdale Lane, 3 locks down at embankment with fall of 44 feet approx. Canal 15 to 20 feet broad and 4 feet deep, though water only shown 2 feet deep on plan.

The embankment was built and can still be seen. Crosses railway between bench marks of 16.4 and 11.4 feet. Water course shown on 1892 6in OS map.

S'port C 3 Dec 1976.jpg

Grand Surrey Canal (on the map it's near the bottom)

1382673895_Grand_Surrey_Canal_1852.jpg.12d234aea31dfa1dd6ed0431179af032.jpg

A few images showing the remnants of the canal..

I believe this bridge is in Peckham Park or Burgess Park - I've not been down there in quite a while but from what I remember/have read, this is just a bridge in the middle of nowhere that if you didn't know was previously spanning a canal, would seem very out of place.

1420059153.jpg.ba4af7572f2c1fa652100bb1b0c9334e.jpg

This is at Russia dock

_4542434_orig.jpeg.66ff6f1ec9e3836cdc93c7aed6c5e23f.jpeg

_3744555_orig.jpeg.446361edc7d359a5c405d9cebf49cd94.jpeg

https://goo.gl/maps/enNjpswstpZzBpc89 Burgess Park is where the isolated footbridge is, I often pass through. 

I hadn't realised there was a Peckham Arm, though. That explains why it seems to do a right angle - it does!

https://knowyourlondon.wordpress.com/2019/08/21/grand-surrey-canal-route/

Edited by Paddle
clarity

On 29/05/2020 at 14:41, The Happy Nomad said:

Abandoned route of the North Oxford near Wolfhampcote following it being straightened/re-routed.

North Oxford.JPG

Excuse me old Bean, that's not The North Oxford.

32 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Excuse me old Bean, that's not The North Oxford.

Sorry my bad. South.

I forgot the point it changed is not Napton but Braunston. But equally of course its just refered to as The Oxford Canal.

Edit - That said I note CRT refer to the Northern sections and the Southern sections of the Oxford canal with the change at Napton.

Edited by The Happy Nomad