Lost Canals

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

For interest I thought I'd start a thread of places that are pretty much lost unless you know what you are looking for So would otherwise just cruise right past.

E.G. Arbury Communication canal junction with the Coventry canal

image.png.7b0ffa7299438b37bc15c6afad50b5a4.png

Coombe Hill canal junction with River Severn

image.png.091b51ef92d8292f8f6847c2cf9c789c.png

Who's next?

Edited by buccaneer66

The round-topped towpath wall, rising upwards to the left, is all that remains of the bridge over the entrance to the Rain Hall Quarry branch at Barnoldswick. The first section of the quarry is below thew trees on the right. The second photo shows the end section of the quarry being filled in 1986. The branch joined the canal after passing alongside the left of the weaving shed top left.

Rain Hall.jpg

Rain Hall 2.jpg

The private Foxley Branch Canal, which served the extensive Ford Green Ironworks and linked with the Caldon Canal.

There was a lock and large pool , which may have been a water supply.

The date of the building of this waterway, in this form, was contemporary with the 1850's building of the ironworks and the route is shown on the First Ordnance Survey "6in"

280108.jpg

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Upper reaches of the Pocklington Canal in Yorkshire.

Still in water at the very end and parts of the way to Melbourne.

Pocklington.JPG

This section of the Pocklington Canal is in water as far as Bielby  where it joins the newly restored 2 mile section from Melbourne  reopened a couple of years ago. There is an active and ongoing campaign to restore all the remaining locks from Bielby to Canal Head and some work has already been carried out  with engineers appointed and detailed plans being drawn up. After the work carried out recently by both CRT via the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Pocklington Canal Amenity Society,I don't think it is fair to include this canal as a "Lost Canal" in any sense of the word!

You can read about the canal here.

http://pocklingtoncanalsociety.org/index.html

or if you use facebook 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1429217824059234/

Howard

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

This section of the Pocklington Canal is in water as far as Bielby  where it joins the newly restored 2 mile section from Melbourne  reopened a couple of years ago. There is an active and ongoing campaign to restore all the remaining locks from Bielby to Canal Head and some work has already been carried out  with engineers appointed and detailed plans being drawn up. After the work carried out recently by both CRT via the Heritage Lottery Fund and the Pocklington Canal Amenity Society,I don't think it is fair to include this canal as a "Lost Canal" in any sense of the word!

or if you use facebook 

Howard

Cheers Howard Im familiar with the history and the plans for the future.

'Lost but potentially found again' perhaps. ?? 

52 minutes ago, howardang said:

or if you use facebook 

Howard

I am delighted to hear of these plans - Once Juno has been refurbed she needs cruising adventures (and a slipway somewhere in the area)

For my own contribution...1169442675_HollinsCanal.jpg.8b4367636f0845554f8ec7ae18ca4866.jpg

The Hollins Canal ran between what is now a car park serving Asda and Marple Town centre, and the Peak Forest Canal below Possett Bridge, now marked by a line of trees at the back of buildings north of the main road - this is a nature walk in the Memorial Park and much as I'd like to see it become moorings for Marple Town Centre I don't think it's going to happen... (Magpie dreams of Asda looking out over moored boats...)

And for good measure "Mr Oldknow's Private Canal" ran roughly where the main road bends to the south east, and to top the glass up, the temporary tramway can just be seen crossing the Rec by the legend in this image

The Derby Canal also communicated with the River Trent by canal and locks.

It was made in  a straight line and has a course that is traceable on the old ordnance survey of the 1830's

224580.png

The Trent link is shown meeting the River Trent upstream of the Bridge.

Edited by Heartland

On 29/05/2020 at 14:46, The Happy Nomad said:

Upper reaches of the Pocklington Canal in Yorkshire.

Still in water at the very end and parts of the way to Melbourne.

Pocklington.JPG

Went here just today, took a few snaps. I didn’t know it was there until I was passing by and saw a lock. Took me by surprise!

522C1F5B-D42B-483F-AFB6-8B6FE0A098D0.jpeg.7ab03fb7f4e28691810b511a2d428200.jpeg

8EDC5D57-B104-49BD-9081-0B12EA69EEA8.jpeg.7f10fe0869b4fee235ce150d959518c5.jpeg

On 29/05/2020 at 17:35, magpie patrick said:

I am delighted to hear of these plans - Once Juno has been refurbed she needs cruising adventures (and a slipway somewhere in the area)

For my own contribution...1169442675_HollinsCanal.jpg.8b4367636f0845554f8ec7ae18ca4866.jpg

The Hollins Canal ran between what is now a car park serving Asda and Marple Town centre, and the Peak Forest Canal below Possett Bridge, now marked by a line of trees at the back of buildings north of the main road - this is a nature walk in the Memorial Park and much as I'd like to see it become moorings for Marple Town Centre I don't think it's going to happen... (Magpie dreams of Asda looking out over moored boats...)

And for good measure "Mr Oldknow's Private Canal" ran roughly where the main road bends to the south east, and to top the glass up, the temporary tramway can just be seen crossing the Rec by the legend in this image

The old entrance to the Hollins branch can still be seen be seen bricked up, just before the  entrance to  lock 13 and the Lime Kilns branch entrance can be seen to the left of lock 13 entrance..

Map showing the original branches

marple-top-lock.jpg

Edited by jam
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, jam said:

The old entrance to the Hollins branch can still be seen be seen bricked up, just before the  entrance to  lock 13 and the Lime Kilns branch entrance can be seen to the left of lock 13 entrance..

Map showing the original branches

marple-top-lock.jpg

I well remember the Hollins Mill arm, and the demolition of the mill chimney, for which spectacle many locals turned out, on 1st October 1957 ( - having just looked it up!)

The junction of the Rochdale Canal and its Heywood Branch. The Heywood Branch has gone completely, and the junction is on a section of the original alignment now inaccessible to boats. Below is an overlay of the 1910 OS map showing the junction.

Capture.PNG.7c2e591e08b276b884c91f15f40f0052.PNG

Capturea.PNG.2ec402025c8f3fb6978b79f07ebdd35e.PNG

The Greenland Arm of the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal. Now lost entirely under a car park and a dual carriageway. The dual carriageway follows the line of what was Greenland Road, which is now known as Broughton Lane for most of its length. Widening it in to a dual carriageway covers the canal, including the basin at the end.

Greenland-Branch.jpg.b8ac55bcb0d591c0062314bb15291709.jpg

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.8959808,-2.4683855,463m/data=!3m1!1e3

Centre of the picture, around where the canal widens and where the clump of trees stick out towards the canal cutting, is apparently the sight of where a short canal once crossed the existing line of the B&LJ/Shropshire Union Canal in Tyrley Cutting. If I remember reading correctly, it was designed by some wealthy landowner to provide a transport link from a nearby estate to Market Drayton. Can't remember when it was either dug or filled in, but I do know it had been 'lost' by the time building commenced here for the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal in 1829!

It is more apparent when seen from the canal; about 300 yards from the bottom lock the cutting opens out briefly and this is apparently where the old canal was situated.

Edited by Philip