First boat arrived, battery over discharged, will I catch fire?

Featured Posts

If the battery is flat and in good order there is no problem. If it doesn't hold a charge and is knackered disconnect it from the bank. Shorted cells can go bang with bad consequences. If in doubt disconnect. 

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

What is the battery voltage?

Battery type?  Lead acid or lithium?

What do you consider "over discharged"

Bod

Blimey old sport, the chances of it being lithium are infinitesimal. 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Blimey old sport, the chances of it being lithium are infinitesimal. 

More common now than a year ago, got their own requirements, that are different to lead acids.

Bod

1 minute ago, Bod said:

More common now than a year ago, got their own requirements, that are different to lead acids.

Bod

Certainly have. Different entirely but still rare as rocking horse droppings. 

I don’t know what type it is, I think there’s two. I’m trying to upload photos but WiFi is yet another thing that’s not working.

I connected my solar charger and it has a red light which says the batteries are over discharged. The fridge light is still on, but the fridge isn’t running. It’s connected to shore power, but I think the fridge is 12 volt.

Damn I could do without this 

B7126529-5C07-4FFA-9D70-9DC94E6652B1.jpeg

60388BE7-BE0B-4774-9462-97BF8E96675E.jpeg

Edited by dogsarelandseals

Lead acid, so Lithium is not a consideration.

Over charged or over discharged? You've said both and both can't be true.

Thanks for the pictures, you've renewed by determination not to become a boat sparky.

MP.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

You should get your self on Facebook and see what is really happening with Lithium's and boats

No thanks, I dont need facebook and all that crap. None of my long term liveaboard mates have lithium, no one who moors here have lithium, non of the cars used here are lectric cars, no member of my immediate family or kids or mates have lectric cars with lithium so in reality they are still a miniscule amount of users. Look on apollo duck and all the boats for sale at brokers and see how many have lithium batteries.

I haven’t a voltmeter. Solar charger just showing red light which manual says means over discharged.

just need to know whether there’s a risk of  something bad happening, and what I should do to prevent that.

i have 10% battery and don’t want to leave without sorting this so please any quick answers to that would be amazing 

I find the idea that dogs are land seals quite interesting. 

They don't seem to be at all similar but I suppose there is a chance they are very closely related other than the leg situation. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dogsarelandseals said:

I haven’t a voltmeter. Solar charger just showing red light which manual says means over discharged.

just need to know whether there’s a risk of  something bad happening, and what I should do to prevent that.

i have 10% battery and don’t want to leave without sorting this so please any quick answers to that would be amazing 

You have been told its OK, How have you decided you have 10% batteries, do you have  a multimeter you can measure the battery voltage with. No one can say what a red light means on a piece of equipment that we don't know anything about

I haven’t actually, I have been told that if it won’t hold a charge it can be bad. So I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to worry about my boat catching fire while I’m gone. 

I have 10% phone battery, 7% now

solar charger has red light, manual says red light means over discharged. I don’t know what else to tell you.

will it go bang if it’s over discharged or won’t it? Can I leave the battery connected or can’t I?

Edited by dogsarelandseals

As you are desperate to get home and don't want to leave the boat 'unsafe', assuming you have some basic tools, plastic bags and sticky tape you can make it safe for now and then sort it out when you come back.

If you are leaving the boat and want to make sure it is safe then you can disconnect the BLACK wires from each of the batteries. Where there is more than one wire on the terminal bundle them together and insulate them from touching anything else - no problem to let them touch each other but not (for example) the side of the boat or any metal (slide each 'bundle' into something like a rubber glove, or 2 or 3 plastic bags, wrap tightly around with insulating tape (Selotape, carpet tape, even sticking plaster will do)

Do that on both batteries (each battery set of wires insulated with plastic.)

It is belt & braces but you don't want loose black wires flopping about touching the red terminals.

Not to confuse you - BUT you could do the same with the Red wires but there is more risk of sparks if your spanner touches the metal of the boat - so - just do the black wires.

Are you not staying on board ?

Disconnect the wires from the Solar panels going into the controller (the pink + and the green -) insulate each wire again and keep them separate.

Edited by Alan de Enfield