First boat arrived, battery over discharged, will I catch fire?

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry for going awol for a while. Moving on the boat alone (broke up with partner) while in the middle of uni deadline week was not the plan and I did just bury my head in the sand for a few days as I didn't feel I could cope. Alan, who I can't thank enough, has helped me enormously, and thanks to his advice and encouragement I have fitted a battery charger which is powered by shore power, meaning that I now have running water and interior lighting. The water pump ceased to function yesterday, and again thanks to Alan's advice we managed to get it fixed. 

I've only just checked the thread again and am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of new messages here and that people were concerned. Makes me feel less alone doing this. Thanks very much for your help and for checking in on me, I'm really very grateful.

Here is a pic of the old girl. Thanks again guys.

IMG_2430.jpg.70556a1d3b2654e94a644e6342fb09d6.jpg

Edited by dogsarelandseals
  • Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Head in sand for a few days is something loads of folk do - ostriches have made a living doing this for millennia ?!  

Stick with it, every life has its ups and downs, and the boat will help you through the one's it doesn't cause!

1 hour ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Hi all,

Sorry for going awol for a while. Moving on the boat alone (broke up with partner) while in the middle of uni deadline week was not the plan and I did just bury my head in the sand for a few days as I didn't feel I could cope. Alan, who I can't thank enough, has helped me enormously, and thanks to his advice and encouragement I have fitted a battery charger which is powered by shore power, meaning that I now have running water and interior lighting. The water pump ceased to function yesterday, and again thanks to Alan's advice we managed to get it fixed. 

I've only just checked the thread again and am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of new messages here and that people were concerned. Makes me feel less alone doing this. Thanks very much for your help and for checking in on me, I'm really very grateful.

Thats a nice looking craft

3 hours ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Hi all,

wow thats a proper boat... is it noisy with a diesel engine?(i mean can you have conversation inside without shouting)

Edited by restlessnomad

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Thats a nice looking craft

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

wow thats a proper boat... is it noisy with a diesel engine?(i mean can you have conversation inside without shouting)

No its not noisy, but the engine bay is very well insulated, so perhaps theres a reason for that!

3 hours ago, Col_T said:

Head in sand for a few days is something loads of folk do - ostriches have made a living doing this for millennia ?!  

Stick with it, every life has its ups and downs, and the boat will help you through the one's it doesn't cause!

I can totally see the ostriches point!

I love it now, glad I stuck with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Many solar controllers will protect themselves when the battery voltage is low, hence the red light indicating an "over discharged battery", the problem is without a multi-meter you can't determine if there is a fault with the battery or the solar controller. you don't say whether you have split charging or not,

Regardless you need to find out why the battery reads low, is it a battery issue or is it a charging problem, if you have a shore mains supply disconnect the battery from the boats circuits and try to use a mains battery charger to re-charge the battery.

for information on battery charging and other stuff check out  https://www.canallife.co.uk/electrics.html it might be of use.