First boat arrived, battery over discharged, will I catch fire?

Featured Posts

I've had failed batteries on a shore power connected boat. 

Have you had a look at the battery charger? It might be on full charging rate but batteries won't take the charge. 

It depends how the charging rate is displayed by the charger. It might not be displayed at all but some of them do have some indicators. 

Red light on solar regulator is usually dead battery but if the boat is on shore power there must be a 230v charger somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

That’s a seriously nasty move. This is a section for new people, and I’m worried and asking for help. Hope you feel good about yourself. 

Sorry about that. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

That’s a seriously nasty move. This is a section for new people, and I’m worried and asking for help. Hope you feel good about yourself. 

Not realy. Hes just lightening the mood. To be honest you are best to isolate/disconect the batteries if you are concerned then ask a local boater for a bit of advice on your lectric set up.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

I've had failed batteries on a shore power connected boat. 

Have you had a look at the battery charger? It might be on full charging rate but batteries won't take the charge. 

It depends how the charging rate is displayed by the charger. It might not be displayed at all but some of them do have some indicators. 

Red light on solar regulator is usually dead battery but if the boat is on shore power there must be a 230v charger somewhere. 

Sorry about that. 

There might not be a mains charger, when we purchased our boat the previous owner took the charger leaving just the engine for charging.

Just now, Rob-M said:

There might not be a mains charger, when we purchased our boat the previous owner took the charger leaving just the engine for charging.

I suppose that's possible yes. It seems very odd for a boat connected to shore power with a 12v fridge to not have a battery charger running off the mains. 

Stranger things have happened though, to be fair ! 

Also a chance of the OP not knowing exactly what shore power is ie the wire going to land based mains electric. 

Edited by magnetman

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I suppose that's possible yes. It seems very odd for a boat connected to shore power with a 12v fridge to not have a battery charger running off the mains. 

Stranger things have happened though, to be fair ! 

Also a chance of the OP not knowing exactly what shore power is ie the wire going to land based mains electric. 

The OP has just bought her 1st boat, it has just been delivered by truck and she is trying to put some 'stuff' on board.

No tools and no knowledge and a bit upset - give her some room guys.

• Greenie 1

Apologies for my flippant remarks I was somewhere else in my head at the time. 

Hopefully she will notice I am a twat who occupies another forum and rarely visits here anyway :)

and I'm also a post-whore who is just trying to top the 10,000 mark on here. 

Edited by magnetman

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The OP has just bought her 1st boat, it has just been delivered by truck and she is trying to put some 'stuff' on board.

No tools and no knowledge and a bit upset - give her some room guys.

Inside info

Sorry for the panic guys. I'm alone doing this and there was no one on the marina to ask. My phone was on 10% battery, and then died. Home now. The bit of googling I did about batteries that were over discharged said that it was dangerous, and could cause a short circuit, making the batteries heat up and catch fire.

The boat doesn't have a means to charge the batteries from the shoreline, only a solar panel that charges them. As Alan said (thank you Alan, and everyone who helped) I've turned off the isolator and unplugged the portable solar panel. 

When I plugged the solar panel in to charge the batteries, the solar panel had a red light under the battery display, which when I checked in the manual said that it indicated the batteries were over discharged. The 12 volt fridge was not running, as in not cold, but the light in the fridge was on. The lights were still working in the cabins. I don't know if the solar panel is a bit over anxious (like me) and perhaps there isn't an issue. If its just a case of trying to charge the batteries,and waiting to see if they hold charge, I can do that at the weekend. If trying to charge them could mean they over heat and catch fire, I'd rather replace them. I'm moving in fully on Sunday, so really need to get this sorted by then.

40 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Apologies for my flippant remarks I was somewhere else in my head at the time. 

Hopefully she will notice I am a twat who occupies another forum and rarely visits here anyway :)

and I'm also a post-whore who is just trying to top the 10,000 mark on here. 

Sorry I was just panicking. Sure I'm overreacting and it was a fair comment :)

54 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Unfortunately my boat's previous owner has left everything, including three lots of bedding, and the most of the drawers and cupboards crammed with stuff. Maybe they did it to be kind though. 

2 minutes ago, dogsarelandseals said:

Sorry for the panic guys. I'm alone doing this and there was no one on the marina to ask. My phone was on 10% battery, and then died. Home now. The bit of googling I did about batteries that were over discharged said that it was dangerous, and could cause a short circuit, making the batteries heat up and catch fire.y

The boat doesn't have a means to charge the batteries from the shoreline, only a solar panel that charges them. As Alan said (thank you Alan, and everyone who helped) I've turned off the isolator and unplugged the portable solar panel. 

When I plugged the solar panel in to charge the batteries, the solar panel had a red light under the battery display, which when I checked in the manual said that it indicated the batteries were over discharged. The 12 volt fridge was not running, as in not cold, but the light in the fridge was on. The lights were still working in the cabins. I don't know if the solar panel is a bit over anxious (like me) and perhaps there isn't an issue. If its just a case of trying to charge the batteries,and waiting to see if they hold charge, I can do that at the weekend. If trying to charge them could mean they over heat and catch fire, I'd rather replace them. I'm moving in fully on Sunday, so really need to get this sorted by then.

Sorry I was just panicking. Sure I'm overreacting and it was a fair comment :)

If that is a plug in portable solar charger its unlikely it will give enough power to fully recharge that battery/ies let alone run a fridge. You could well need to plug into a shore supply or run your engine for some time. 

When you can tell us more about your boat and whats on it we can offer more advice. When you said 10% battery I assumed that you were referring to the boat batteries not your phone

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

If that is a plug in portable solar charger its unlikely it will give enough power to fully recharge that battery/ies let alone run a fridge. You could well need to plug into a shore supply or run your engine for some time. 

When you can tell us more about your boat and whats on it we can offer more advice. When you said 10% battery I assumed that you were referring to the boat batteries not your phone

It's what they've always used. It's 2 panels, each about a foot square, I'll try and find a photo. That's fair I was typing quickly so I didn't have the screen on too long

1 minute ago, dogsarelandseals said:

It's what they've always used. It's 2 panels, each about a foot square, I'll try and find a photo. That's fair I was typing quickly so I didn't have the screen on too long

They will be absolutely no use to you as a liveaboard, they are designed to keep the battery 'topped' up over winter, they are not big enough (enough watts) to recharge your batteries.

As you are staying in the marina for the next X months, don't worry about them. 

Get plugged in to the mains and check if there is a battery charger, if not get out and buy one ASAP (but ask first as you don't just want a 'Halfords' car charger.)

Tomorrow, get to B&Q or somewhere and get a multimeter similar to the one in the link I sent you. Longer term you will need a 'better' one but you are going to have a lot of expense in the next few weeks and I reckon a 'few' new batteries and help to install them will be needed. I sent you battery details and prices by message.

It'll all look better after a celebratory bottle of Prosecco.

• Greenie 3

On 28/05/2020 at 21:39, Alan de Enfield said:

They will be absolutely no use to you as a liveaboard, they are designed to keep the battery 'topped' up over winter, they are not big enough (enough watts) to recharge your batteries.

I'm still new to it all myself (just in my 5th week on the boat) and I know from experience Alan's advice is helpful and respected however...

My lad was killing my batteries when he visited for a couple of nights each weekend so got a 100w fold up panal (effectively 2x50w), we can now have the radio on all day, a film before bed and an hour of mindless telly over breakfast and in this weather I'm still producing excess power.

So I know of the battery top up solar panels that are available but others are a bit more substantial. I appreciate I may struggle with the less sun, shorter days and more need for lights during the winter but as an a affordable, instant fix I'm happy and in all honesty impressed!

6 minutes ago, Bod said:

Make plans now for what you are going to do when the solar power is not enough, Oct to April.

Bod

Fair comment and one which is in my mind, however there is only so much budget each month...the answer maybe candles and no telly!

43 minutes ago, manicpb said:

I'm still new to it all myself (just in my 5th week on the boat) and I know from experience Alan's advice is helpful and respected however...

My lad was killing my batteries when he visited for a couple of nights each weekend so got a 100w fold up panal (effectively 2x50w), we can now have the radio on all day, a film before bed and an hour of mindless telly over breakfast and in this weather I'm still producing excess power.

So I know of the battery top up solar panels that are available but others are a bit more substantial. I appreciate I may struggle with the less sun, shorter days and more need for lights during the winter but as an a affordable, instant fix I'm happy and in all honesty impressed!

Your point is valid, but there is a huge difference between a 100w panel (2x 50) and a 10w 'trickle charge panel'.

We happily lived aboard for much of the Summer surviving on a 100w panel - in good conditions it can produce 7or 8 amps, which over a few hours can easily re-charge the batteries.

A 10w panel will produce around half-an-amp and will just about keep up with the self-discharge rate of the battery.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Your point is valid, but there is a huge difference between a 100w panel (2x 50) and a 10w 'trickle charge panel'.

We happily lived aboard for much of the Summer surviving on a 100w panel - in good conditions it can produce 7or 8 amps, which over a few hours can easily re-charge the batteries.

A 10w panel will produce around half-an-amp and will just about keep up with the self-discharge rate of the battery.

TBH I only read "portable solar panel", re-reading I see the "foot square" comment...

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Even with a 12 volt fridge?  With incidentals and the fridge I doubt if you can use less than 50Ah per day, even in this brilliant weather that is pushing it with a 100 watt panel (about 60Ah expected in June in the UK)

Just now, Detling said:

Even with a 12 volt fridge?  With incidentals and the fridge I doubt if you can use less than 50Ah per day, even in this brilliant weather that is pushing it with a 100 watt panel (about 60Ah expected in June in the UK)

We were not moored up for 5 months, we did move every 2 or 3 days so the 2x 135Ah batteries were kept ticking over on the (~50Ah per day) solar (we used ~100Ah per day) and topped up with a 6-8 hours engine run every couple of days.

You have my sympathy, I have a boater daughter who is pretty green at it too but she is learning! Guess how I know!

Batteries are not that dangerous, particularly dead ones.

Alan de Enfield's post (No.19) is sound advice but if you have no tools then just find the battery isolator switch and turn that off, usually it's a red thing a bit like a flag, (best descriptin I can do), all boats have to have 'em, it should be near the batteries, follow the big red wires..

You really should beg/borrow/steal a mulitmeter, nothinf fancy or expensive needed but without some numbers and testing we will all be guessing. For instance are the batteries really dead? Come to that just how dead? Is the solar controller actually working properly? Is the .......... well, you get the idea.

There are a lot of people on here with lots of knowlege who are happy to give you their time, there are also some wags, you'll just have to learn how to filter them,

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Man 'o Kent said:

You really should beg/borrow/steal a mulitmeter, nothinf fancy or expensive needed but without some numbers and testing we will all be guessing. For instance are the batteries really dead? Come to that just how dead? Is the solar controller actually working properly? Is the .......... well, you get the idea.

OP now has a multimeter (and 11.5v in the battery), is working thru it and looking at sourcing a decent battery charger.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Detling said:

I run at about 70-80 Ah per 21 hrs, thats an inverter on 24/7, mains fridge, mains TV, charging laptop, pumps and LED lights, electric kettle in the summer

33 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Alan de Enfield's post (No.19) is sound advice but if you have no tools then just find the battery isolator switch and turn that off, usually it's a red thing a bit like a flag, (best descriptin I can do), all boats have to have 'em, it should be near the batteries, follow the big red wires..

if the boat is legal (BSS etc.) then there should be a nameplate in full view identifying the isolating switch so that a rescue person like a fireman could find it in seconds.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

if the boat is legal (BSS etc.) then there should be a nameplate in full view identifying the isolating switch so that a rescue person like a fireman could find it in seconds.

That is the theory.

My Cruiser has a BSS (and has had several previously). The master switches are behind the stairs leading down from the saloon to the galley. One of the risers (between stair 3 and 4)  drops down to reveal the 4 master switches.

There has never been an nameplate identifying their location and no one would ever find them.

For the last BSS I bought a full pack of 'warning stickers' and labelled up the switch location with  "Master Switches Below".

Bit of a waste of time as the examiner never got past the saloon. Just sat there and said "I can see you have a CO alarm and as it passed last time it'll be OK".

• Horror 1