Fishing

PossibleFriday

Featured Posts

Hi

I sent my local fishing license provider a request for compensation for the damage caused to my front buffer by fishermen fishing in the canal across the way from my boat thinking that since they take money for licences they should have third party liability for any damage caused. The fishermen are trying to get the fish in-between the boats and when they get caught on the buffers they just tug to get free but just rip the rope. What do you think should they cover the damage.

Regards Keith

15906835840304952241306842347547.jpg

• Haha 1

I think it looks like a well worn fender and that rope deteriorates over time. Had the fender been in good nick any hook or equipment would break rather than damage the rope.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, PossibleFriday said:

I know it's a well worn fender but I have at least two lines hanging off it at the moment and it would have lasted quite a bit longer if they hadn't been tugged on.

I doubt it would of lasted that long once you do a few locks and give it a bit battering, old rope fenders tend to go quite quickly once they start to decay. Get a polypropylene one next time, the fisherman will struggle with those.

• Greenie 1

• 5 months later...

Good luck with that one OP.

Regardless of who did what to anything, you'd need evidence or a confession.  And claims or photos of hooks and tackle being removed from a fender, ain't going to cut the mustard.

Then there's the issue that any licencing authorities will have been on every "Weaselly Words Training Course" to enforce that they can't be held responsible for the actions of individuals.

If you really want to be laughed at try the Police.   They'll troll out the well worn line "Civil not Criminal ....clunk!"

On the off chance that you do corner a fisher-person who is prepared to confess, and you have the money (£k) to take him to court and win your claim.  When it comes to awarding compensation it will be like for like.  So how much do you value a knackered old rotten fender, on account you would never get a new one from them?