Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

A bigger change for continuous cruisers though because we can now move again and make longer journeys.  

How does anyone  distinguish between a continuous cruiser and anyone else ?  C&RT aren't going to be out policing in the few  hours of darkness over the next several weeks.

I think people will go boating if they wish . It is clearly acceptable to make up your own mind about what is sensible and many are already doing so.

The permissions given today by Government  are only allowing people to do what many are already doing. People will stretch those guidelines.

I haven't yet stayed overnight  on my boat this year  nor moved my boat out of the marina . But I seem to be in the minority  .  I am looking forward to permission from C&RT as I would like to spend time out on the river and staying overnight without feeling guilty about it.

39 minutes ago, MartynG said:

How does anyone  distinguish between a continuous cruiser and anyone else ?  C&RT aren't going to be out policing in the few  hours of darkness over the next several weeks.

I think people will go boating if they wish . It is clearly acceptable to make up your own mind about what is sensible and many are already doing so.

The permissions given today by Government  are only allowing people to do what many are already doing. People will stretch those guidelines.

I haven't yet stayed ovroute ernight  on my boat this year  nor moved my boat out of the marina . But I seem to be in the minority  .  I am looking forward to permission from C&RT as I would like to spend time out on the river and staying overnight without feeling guilty about it.

I haven't and I am waiting until the Government say its OK to not return to my home overnight, I still may not go for a bit, if I can resist it. Its quite a drive with no facilities on 

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Or trying their best to comply rather than find loopholes? Its irelevant how anyone else has acted.

People don't have to find loopholes any more the 'advice' and 'legislation' is completely shot through with holes so nothing worth complying with. As you have said earlier just use commonsense but I would add 'and ignore any Government input' since they don't have much of a clue what they are doing and have made any enforcement impossible.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Boris needs people to be catching the virus, in order to achieve his herd immunity target.

In addition, with 25000 track and tracers, he and Hancock will be disappointed if they don't have many tens of thousands of us locked down at home, in order to be able to tell us it's working. I'm still wondering how the "well trained" track and tracers are being paid.

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The following  confirms an earlier suggestion that from 1st June longer journeys are permitted

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/the-boaters-update/boaters-update-28-may-2020

So longer journeys will be permitted but those of us not living on the boat still cant stay overnight.... how does that work?  At this rate I might start to develop engine trouble around 7pm each night...  :)

Edited by robtheplod

18 hours ago, colmac said:

I apologise in advance if this topic has been done to death but..........have just read on CRT website that the canals are fully open from Monday but, and this is where I am getting confused, we still can't stay overnight if we are leisure boaters so basically no change ?

Depends if you're keen to 'stick to the rules', even when said rules don't really make so much sense e.g. can only go out shopping for essential items, but we'll re-open retail shops soon...you just can't go to them...

I've been stopped since just before the lockdown on a quiet bend, a solid 5 minute walk from the van on the GU. Over the last 2/3 weeks there's been a gradual increase in marina boats appearing. By now theres easily 4 or 5 stopped on that 5 minute walk each night, out for a break/holiday spending the nights away from home.

Effectively the rule about not staying overnight isn't being adhered to anymore (understandably), so I shouldn't worry about it too much. If you get asked just tell them you wanted to stay overnight so that prior to driving the boat the next day you could test your eyesight by making your morning brew.

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Boris needs people to be catching the virus, in order to achieve his herd immunity target.

In addition, with 25000 track and tracers, he and Hancock will be disappointed if they don't have many tens of thousands of us locked down at home, in order to be able to tell us it's working. I'm still wondering how the "well trained" track and tracers are being paid.

They are about to follow the PPE cockup and the testing cockup with a tracing cockup.

...greatest number of Covid-19 deaths in Europe

...greatest per capita Covid-19 deaths in the WORLD.

Just saying.

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

It is not a target but a scientific fact.

43 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Yup, we'll be through it to the end far faster than some countries.

11 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Boris needs people to be catching the virus, in order to achieve his the herd immunity target requirement.

Fixed that for you.

45 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

They are about to follow the PPE cockup and the testing cockup with a tracing cockup.

Just saying.

Actually Belgium seem to be clear winners in the per capita stakes.  Then Spain, then us.  Of course different countries record covid19 deaths differently so it's tricky to compare.

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Actually Belgium seem to be clear winners in the per capita stakes.  Then Spain, then us.  Of course different countries record covid19 deaths differently so it's tricky to compare.

And in due course they'll all need to acquire herd immunity by one means or another.

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yup, we'll be through it to the end far faster than some countries.

Fixed that for you.

I know what it is, and you know what it is, but the government have been in denial since just after this thing started.

It's almost as though Boris wakes up in the morning wondering what he can lie about that day...........

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And in due course they'll all need to acquire herd immunity by one means or another.

I suppose there will come a day when Boris announces his herd immunity target, perhaps a week or two after we've achieved it?

• Greenie 1

We're moving our boat out of a marina tomorrow and we're going to stay overnight and move it again on Sunday. If it costs me a £100 fine, then frankly that's not much more than keeping it in the marina is going to cost me.

25 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I know what it is, and you know what it is, but the government have been in denial since just after this thing started.

It's almost as though Boris wakes up in the morning wondering what he can lie about that day...........

I suppose there will come a day when Boris announces his herd immunity target, perhaps a week or two after we've achieved it?

Yup, it’s a phrase that scares many folk so he wisely avoids using it. 

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ah - but the law breakers ( CBA'd and militants) don't display their licence.

(Ah - but (tongue in cheek) is it law to display a license?)

easiest way to determine (assume) whether it’s a continuous cruiser or not is the shyte and coal bags on top. 

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I stand corrected. It's pretty piss-poor however you look at it, though. Aren't we supposed to be world leaders? (Ironic laugh)

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've just checked and it's excess deaths in which we lead Europe (Belgium included). This metric seems to be accepted as the most useful. It's hardly surprising that the UK figure is so high, given the way Covid-19-positive patients were being dischargedfrom hospitals into care homes without telling anybody.

• Greenie 1