Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ghosn: Nissan "will go bankrupt in two to three years" Fugitive and ex-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn isn't done talking. It appears he's just getting started. On Tuesday, Bloomberg reported that Ghosn told his defense attorney Nobuo Gohara, a former prosecutor, that "Nissan will go bankrupt in two to three years."

Hardly an unbiased commentary.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I know, just thought I'd stir the pot, though I suppose he ought to know, seeing as if it does go bust it'll probably be at least partly his fault. 

No as I said earlier he has a big axe to grind and wants his revenge,  I seriously doubt he is right but it won't stop him tying 

6 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

It is the UK (or a proportion of it) that seem to be saying that they will be happy with no deal terms, hence the 10% WTO tariff rate. You still don't understand that if we have no deal with them, the tariffs will be imposed, not out of vindictiveness but because if they aren't they will have to offer the same terms to everyone else in the WTO. Likewise the UK will also be obliged to impose the tariffs otherwise we have to give the same terms to everyone else in the WTO. That is what no deal means but you just don't seem to get it do you?

Do you actually think the EU car makers are going to accept a 10% tariff on their cars sold in the UK ?  I suggest you contact Nissan and use your superior knowledge to tell them they have got it all wrong by increasing production in the UK and closing their Spanish plant.  You obviously know something they don't and Nissan doesn't get it. Let us know the answer you get from them.

9 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Do you actually think the EU car makers are going to accept a 10% tariff on their cars sold in the UK ?  I suggest you contact Nissan and use your superior knowledge to tell them they have got it all wrong by increasing production in the UK and closing their Spanish plant.  You obviously know something they don't and Nissan doesn't get it. Let us know the answer you get from them.

Dream on, if we get the no deal exit that many on here want, the 10% tariff is going to be a reality, whether you like it or not. It also appears from another posters comment (on the thread that is actually about the subject) that the 'boost' you are claiming for Sunderland is conditional (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52900528), that'll be conditional on us managing to negotiate a deal.

On 01/06/2020 at 23:22, Flyboy said:

Well, they're doing it for economic and efficiency reasons.  Nissan obviously think the UK is going to be the best place to do business after brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/nissan-sunderland-factory-safe-but-plant-in-barcelona-will-close-coronavirus#maincontent

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52900528

On 01/06/2020 at 12:14, Flyboy said:

Nissan is making a loss as are other car manufacturers, however they obviously can see that they can do better outside the EU.  Elon Musk is setting up a  car plant in the UK for exactly the same reason.

Really? You might be a little behind the times:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jun/03/nissan-sunderland-plant-at-risk-if-uk-leaves-eu-without-deal-brexit

Of course, both the BBC and The Guardian are so left-wing and pro-Europe that they woud say that, wouldn't they? ?

My friend Jan bought a diesel one, she does 80 miles a week at best all local running, after the third time at the dealership for DPF regens she now has a 40 KW Nissan leaf! She thinks its the best car she has ever had

13 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Do you actually think the EU car makers are going to accept a 10% tariff on their cars sold in the UK ? 

How do you actually think these EU car makers are planning to avoid the 10% tariff that the WTO would require?

AFAICT The only ways they would be able to do so would be to stop selling cars to the UK, make their cars in the UK, convince the EU to do a tariff free deal with the UK.

I'm genuinely interested, because you seem so certain.

35 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

AFAICT The only ways they would be able to do so would be to stop selling cars to the UK, make their cars in the UK, convince the EU to do a tariff free deal with the UK.

I think you have answered your own question there.

80 miles a week in a diesel will kill any DPF unless it's down the motorway all in one go. The Italian tune up only works if you only do it when the engine is properly warmed up and you are somewhere you can let it rip. Twice round the Asda car park in 1st gear at full revs isn't really ideal. 80 miles a week is ideal for electric, as long as you have space to park it whilst charging. You'll certainly have the time.

16 hours ago, peterboat said:

I think its ugly but in Europe its second to the Nissan qashqai or whatever its called 

Puke and the cash cow . All on lease for the minimally discerning.

Unlike our old x trail 240000 kms. Orig clutch engine and everything really.

Destroyed by some Australian idiot.