Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Welsh Government have said 'similar' but self-contained facilities meaning connected to the mains, so STATIC caravans and B&B etc. No touring caravans (or boats) where they need to empty their tanks.

Is Wales allowing you to stay overnight at other people’s house?

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Welsh Government have said 'similar' but self-contained facilities meaning connected to the mains, so STATIC caravans and B&B etc. No touring caravans (or boats) where they need to empty their tanks.

This has been the most noticeable thing during this pandemic, how the Welsh and Scottish Govts have their own slight twists on things to be different - there is no logical reason for them to be any different. It's almost a little Hitler complex...

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not currently - I believe there will be a review on Thursday, but N Wales may be shut off (quarantined) anyway due to the meat packing factories outbreak.

I will watch out for that one, our son lives in South Wales.  I know that from the 6th we should be allowed to travel there, but I was thinking at the moment it is just meeting in the garden that is allowed.  Would be great if we are at least allowed in the house!

On 14/06/2020 at 17:11, Alan de Enfield said:

We had a mooring for several years at Whixhall, and the Pontcysyllte aquaduct was a regular 'pleasure'. for us.

Several times over the years there were flowers attached to the railings - the worst story* was probably the one where a local had gone over to 'the other side' to the pub, got worse for wear and on his way back, fell in and got out of the 'wrong side'. Nothing to stop his fall.

There were a number of suicides.

*Coroners findings

A vollie to whom we gave a lift across the aqueduct last year, told us that it was a "rite of passage" for all the local lads when he was young, to cross back from the pub on the other side of the trough; fortunately of those many who fell, nearly all managed to fall into the water instead of the other way.

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not currently - I believe there will be a review on Thursday, but N Wales may be shut off (quarantined) anyway due to the meat packing factories outbreak.

I find it rather worrying that 3 meat packing factories in the UK, and now one in Germany, have suffered from outbreaks in the last few days.

20 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

A vollie to whom we gave a lift across the aqueduct last year, told us that it was a "rite of passage" for all the local lads when he was young, to cross back from the pub on the other side of the trough; fortunately of those many who fell, nearly all managed to fall into the water instead of the other way.

I find it rather worrying that 3 meat packing factories in the UK, and now one in Germany, have suffered from outbreaks in the last few days.

I think the problem with meat packing industry is more to do with mismanagement of the workforce, lack of hygeine, no distancing or protection. This is minimum wage, poverty level employment when nobody gives a toss about either the product or the employees.

I guess most will have got the CRT email

Hi John,

As you may have heard, the Government has today announced measures to continue the easing of lockdown. Importantly, this means that from Saturday 4 July all boaters in England will be able to stay overnight on their boats. 

While longer journeys are now possible, and our navigations are open in full, please bear in mind that booking for some passages and services will be required. Anything that is likely to affect your boating will be listed on our website.

In Wales, you can go out on your boat if you can do it locally. This generally means not travelling further than five miles to where your boat is moored. There should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. The restrictions on staying local could be lifted on Monday 6 July, if conditions allow, and we will update further when this is confirmed. 

Stay safe, happy boating,
Damian
Boating communications manager

All the latest boating news including events and stoppages

View this email in your browser

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Staying on your boat

Hi Boater!,

As you may have heard, the Government has today announced measures to continue the easing of lockdown. Importantly, this means that from Saturday 4 July all boaters in England will be able to stay overnight on their boats. 

While longer journeys are now possible, and our navigations are open in full, please bear in mind that booking for some passages and services will be required. Anything that is likely to affect your boating will be listed on our website.

In Wales, you can go out on your boat if you can do it locally. This generally means not travelling further than five miles to where your boat is moored. There should be no overnight stays on boats, no landing in any place beyond the immediate local area and a return to the point of departure. The restrictions on staying local could be lifted on Monday 6 July, if conditions allow, and we will update further when this is confirmed. 

Stay safe, happy boating,
Damian
Boating communications manager

color-facebook-48.png

color-link-48.png

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What if I empty my tank I the river. Is that self contained?

Email from CRT just now: "As you may have heard, the Government has today announced measures to continue the easing of lockdown. Importantly, this means that from Saturday 4 July all boaters in England will be able to stay overnight on their boats. "

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

This has been the most noticeable thing during this pandemic, how the Welsh and Scottish Govts have their own slight twists on things to be different - there is no logical reason for them to be any different. It's almost a little Hitler complex...

Not really fair as they have often announced their decisions before Boris. In any case, it is claimed at least by Wales that he doesn't talk to thew other leaders about it anyway.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Not really fair as they have often announced their decisions before Boris. In any case, it is claimed at least by Wales that he doesn't talk to thew other leaders about it anyway.

ok maybe a little ott, but it will have surprised people how Wales/Scotland managed their own policies here. 

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I heard a suggestion that the reason meat factories could be high risk is the cold / moist atmosphere-which other coronavirus seem to thrive in - and hence a concern we might see a resurgence in winter

13 hours ago, boots said:

I heard a suggestion that the reason meat factories could be high risk is the cold / moist atmosphere-which other coronavirus seem to thrive in - and hence a concern we might see a resurgence in winter

There is definitely a connection between colder temperatures  and virus activity . Keeping yourself warm when the weather turns cold may be  one  means of helping to defend against  virus. South Africa and Argentina (where it is winter now) are experiencing rising case numbers . Australia is not not but they isolated them selves early.

There were more reported UK new cases yesterday than the week before . If that is happening in relatively mild/warm weather it also emphasises the importance of measures such as social distancing and wearing a face mask in a shop which some people don't seem to understand at all.   

14 hours ago, boots said:

The other, rarely-mentioned issue, is that it is a very noisy environment.  This means workers are shouting at each other, which projects far more of the virus than speaking quietly.

Sorry, I should have said

"many of the locks are still shut on the L&L due to "water shortages" ?"

or

"some of the locks are still shut on the L&L due to "water shortages" ?"

or 

"the majority (59 out of 91) of the locks are still shut on the L&L due to "water shortages" ?"

Edited by Duck-n-Dive

1 hour ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

or

or 

"the majority (59 out of 91) of the locks are still shut on the L&L due to "water shortages" ?"

1 hour ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

or

or 

Can you point us to a current stoppage notice that states that locks are shut due to water shortages? I can only find those that refer to overnight restrictions for water conservation. Not the same?

The majority of the canal, effectively from Wigan across to Leeds is currently closed. The most up to date information on the CRT website, posted last Friday 19th, confirms that it will re-open on Monday 6th July, but with time restrictions on lock flights. 

I think it's a rather semantic argument to say that water conservation is not the same as water shortages. They are saving water because they don't (or didn't) have enough. They have decided to concentrate on making the canal available in July and August and particularly when the lockdown is eased enough for people to stay overnight.

Where possible please double up in locks for all passages.

Locks on the canal are currently closed due to water shortages caused by the combined effect of reduced reservoir capacity and one of the driest springs on record. Reservoir holding is currently only 62% of capacity - far below what is required for unrestricted use of the canal at this stage of the year. (The canal relies on a regular supply of rainfall throughout the year to replenish resources.) The plan is to conserve water now with the hope of reopening the canal during the peak holiday months of July and August.  

From Canal and River Trust Navigation closure notice: Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Edited by Duck-n-Dive