Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

The Italian tune up only works if you only do it when the engine is properly warmed up and you are somewhere you can let it rip.

You don't need to go fast, simply stay above 40 for about 10 minutes.  My DPF light came on last week thanks to all the short local trips during the lockdown. I simply went up and down the local bypass twice.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

80 miles a week in a diesel will kill any DPF unless it's down the motorway all in one go. The Italian tune up only works if you only do it when the engine is properly warmed up and you are somewhere you can let it rip. Twice round the Asda car park in 1st gear at full revs isn't really ideal. 80 miles a week is ideal for electric, as long as you have space to park it whilst charging. You'll certainly have the time.

She charges it once every 2 weeks, charge point in the garage it's the perfect car for her 

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You don't need to go fast, simply stay above 40 for about 10 minutes.  My DPF light came on last week thanks to all the short local trips during the lockdown. I simply went up and down the local bypass twice.

The problem was she wouldn't listen to the salesmen he told her it was the wrong car! A year later she knew it was the wrong car ?

• Greenie 1

e222ab91-74a5-45d9-a1b6-569bc8afb08f.png

Coronavirus & boating update, 5 June 2020

Hello Boater!,

Now that navigation on most parts of the network is possible, many boaters have been able to enjoy a cruise on their boat. However, for others, this hasn’t been realistic because overnight stays on boats (if it’s not your primary residence) are not currently allowed.

We continue to speak with Government about this point and a letter from our chief executive, Richard Parry, to the waterway minister earlier this week set out why we want the waterways to return to normal as soon as possible. This includes the ability to stay overnight on your boat even if it’s not your primary residence. Specifically, we wrote that:

• Being aboard a boat for a continuous period is integral to allowing navigation on the inland waterways,
  • Boaters are typically self-sufficient, spending their time largely in the open air (where the risk of transmitting the virus is known to be much lower) or in their private on-board space with their own facilities,
  • Using a boat for navigation presents a very low risk to virus transmission,
  • Social distancing requires little additional effort when operating a boat on inland waterways and daily distances travelled are modest.

We also pointed out that it’s not just private leisure boaters who are affected by the current rules. Many waterway-based hire-boat businesses, who are currently unable to trade, and unable to access Government assistance schemes, face precarious futures if they cannot operate (and generate the income vital for their survival) this summer.

You could also highlight this issue, and reiterate the points above, to your own MP. In the meantime you might want to read the answers we’ve given to a whole host of other questions about how coronavirus is affecting the waterways and boating.

Please stay safe and stay alert at all times.

Damian Kemp,
Boating communications manager,
Canal & River Trust

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find any statement from the guv that campsites can open on 4th July, and campsites & clubs seem to be saying they are preparing to open then but pending a formal statement.

I guess once there is a formal ok for campsites to open, waterways will be able to do so.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

With camping and caravan sites opening July 4th do you think this when we can stay overnight on our boats again?

I hope so . 

I have some holiday time booked  , starting the following week  .

Our plan from prior to Covid has been  to take it on the boat . Even if our travel plans have to be significantly modified I hope we can still make it a holiday.

PS Someone told me lock keepers would be back from 1st July but that's not from a 100% reliable source.

Edited by MartynG

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/travelplanning/coronavirus/

.... but i keep reading this maybe more than 'hope' behind the scenes ....... 

The RYA said similar when you were allowed to visit your boat, wishful thinking

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

PS Someone told me lock keepers would be back from 1st July but that's not from a 100% reliable source.

Volunteer lock keeper at Kings told me same thing.

We're heading down the Cheshire Locks today. Five other boats moving so far, so very quiet. There were two boats on the Church Lawton moorings last night, which is very low for a Saturday in June, and low occupancy on all the VMs we passed.

This has the status of a rumour, not first or even second hand, but one of the boaters we met had been told by a fisherman that "they" were turning boats back at Chirk.

MP.

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We're heading down the Cheshire Locks today. Five other boats moving so far, so very quiet. There were two boats on the Church Lawton moorings last night, which is very low for a Saturday in June, and low occupancy on all the VMs we passed.

This has the status of a rumour, not first or even second hand, but one of the boaters we met had been told by a fisherman that "they" were turning boats back at Chirk.

MP.

I would not be surprised in the slightest.

You are not allowed to enter Wales, the Police are turning back people entering from Manchester, Liverpool etc, so unless you Live in Wales and work 'over the border' crossing the border is not allowed.

Visiting boats are not allowed over the border.

You can use your 'Welsh based' boat within 5 miles of your home but cannot spend the night on it

We had this 'discussion' a few days ago and someone said, they were going for it as no one would know - if the rumour is true, then it appears that 'someone will know'.

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Watford is bust

12 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Are you reading Chirk as Crick...?

Probably, it is Sunday and I have a fatter than normal belly so half asleep. If its Chirk which way round are they turning them back to Wales or keep in England?

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I would not be surprised in the slightest.

You are not allowed to enter Wales, the Police are turning back people entering from Manchester, Liverpool etc, so unless you Live in Wales and work 'over the border' crossing the border is not allowed.

Visiting boats are not allowed over the border.

You can use your 'Welsh based' boat within 5 miles of your home but cannot spend the night on it

We had this 'discussion' a few days ago and someone said, they were going for it as no one would know - if the rumour is true, then it appears that 'someone will know'.

That someone may have been me. I don't intend to try and enter Wales at Chirk, but I'd quite like to transit the half mile of canal at Bettisfield which dips into Wales so I can get to Frankton Junction and the Montgomery. Will report back if I see any fast patrol boats or mini-subs marked "Heddlu" or not. If you don't hear from me, assume I'm in the dungeon at Caernarfon Castle.

MP.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

That someone may have been me. I don't intend to try and enter Wales at Chirk, but I'd quite like to transit the half mile of canal at Bettisfield which dips into Wales so I can get to Frankton Junction and the Montgomery. Will report back if I see any fast patrol boats or mini-subs marked "Heddlu" or not. If you don't hear from me, assume I'm in the dungeon at Caernarfon Castle.

MP.

Chirk castle is closer and has a dungeon 

9 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

As long as they don't throw me off the viaduct, I won't complain.

MP.

We had a mooring for several years at Whixhall, and the Pontcysyllte aquaduct was a regular 'pleasure'. for us.

Several times over the years there were flowers attached to the railings - the worst story* was probably the one where a local had gone over to 'the other side' to the pub, got worse for wear and on his way back, fell in and got out of the 'wrong side'. Nothing to stop his fall.

There were a number of suicides.

*Coroners findings

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 2 weeks later...

Well Boris has just said campsites can open and stay overnight if you have self contained facilities or social distanced other facilities, so really no excuse now - looks like its July 4th for boaters I'm sure!

Edited by robtheplod

54 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Well Boris has just said campsites can open and stay overnight if you have self contained facilities or social distanced other facilities, so really no excuse now - looks like its July 4th for boaters I'm sure!

The Welsh Government have said 'similar' but self-contained facilities meaning connected to the mains, so STATIC caravans and B&B etc. No touring caravans (or boats) where they need to empty their tanks.