Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Saw on the news t'other day that Nissan are giving serious consideration to shutting down much of Renault production and moving some Renault vehicles to Sunderland. They are planning to close the Barcelona plan.

No secret 'insider information' it is widely known and circulated in the press.

Maybe you just didn't want to see it.

Nissan’s Sunderland factory is safe as the firm announces it will become a European manufacturing hub.

In a press conference broadcast from Japan this morning (May 29th) the manufacturer said it will be closing its factory in Barcelona as it admitted its brand had been ‘severely damaged’ with losses last year of £306m (40.5bn Yen).

It is now likely that some Renault models, built in other countries, could be built in Sunderland as the alliance looks to increase efficiencies.

The future of the Sunderland plant – which produces cars such as the Qashqai, Leaf and Juke – has been uncertain for some time, but fresh confirmation by Nissan as part of its ‘Transformation Plan’ has confirmed the Japanese car maker sees the site as a core part of its European presence.

Point out the bit where is says,"...are going to expand their UK Sunderland operation..". The best you can offer is a 'possibility' but until the economic effects of the virus have fully worked through, it is nothing more than a guess, otherwise known as wishful thinking.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Saw on the news t'other day that Nissan are giving serious consideration to shutting down much of Renault production and moving some Renault vehicles to Sunderland. They are planning to close the Barcelona plan.

No secret 'insider information' it is widely known and circulated in the press.

Maybe you just didn't want to see it.

Nissan’s Sunderland factory is safe as the firm announces it will become a European manufacturing hub.

In a press conference broadcast from Japan this morning (May 29th) the manufacturer said it will be closing its factory in Barcelona as it admitted its brand had been ‘severely damaged’ with losses last year of £306m (40.5bn Yen).

It is now likely that some Renault models, built in other countries, could be built in Sunderland as the alliance looks to increase efficiencies.

The future of the Sunderland plant – which produces cars such as the Qashqai, Leaf and Juke – has been uncertain for some time, but fresh confirmation by Nissan as part of its ‘Transformation Plan’ has confirmed the Japanese car maker sees the site as a core part of its European presence.

Andy Pandy told us this in the Political forum..... Brexiteers were up in arms that nobody seemed particularly bothered or interested.

20 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

If we go out with no deal, the so-called WTO option they will have to 'play the tariff game' since if they don't they will have to trade with all other WTO members on the same terms. You seem to have some hotline to what Nissan are planning, or are you just guessing? At the moment they are about to post a loss, the first time since the 2008 crash, and you have intimate knowledge that they are expanding some operation? Whilst posting a trading loss? unlikely I would say. They may be consolidating their positions in the hope of going back into profit at some point, but a business that expands whilst posting a loss would be heading down the pan.

Not guessing at all, I will leave the guesing to you.  All the information about Nissan is in the public domain ie. TV & press.  I suggest you get the facts before accusing me of guessing.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Not guessing at all, I will leave the guesing to you.  All the information about Nissan is in the public domain ie. TV & press.  I suggest you get the facts before accusing me of guessing.

I'm not the one claiming that a company posting a loss is expanding, you are, and the fact that they are posting a loss is indeed in the public domain.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Why do you think that Barnier has written to all the uk opposition parties begging them to get Boris to go for a 2 year extension ?

Why do you?

Barnier replied to a letter written by most opposition parties except Labour asking if the EU would grant an extension.  He said they would if they received a formal request from the Government.

He didn't randomly write a letter begging for an extension, despite how it was reported by some sections of the media.

I posted links for both the original request and Barnier's response recently but I can't easily link to it on my phone. 

I don't want an extension personally, but please don't spread fake news. 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

On the other hand we will not be giving their failing economy more and more billions whilst not even a member.

That isn't a logical statement... which isn't a surprise from you.

In simple terms, if we were to give them £10 billion a year, and made £15 billion a year extra, most people would see that as a good deal.

But you are exactly the kind of person who will happily cut of your nose to spite your face, aren't you...... particularly when it wont be you that is affected by it. Boris and JRM et al wont be affected by it either.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The government cannot tell some people the truth, people like yourself simply cannot handle it so are told bits to placate you whilst reality continues.

I can see that to a point, but why on earth would he couch his untruth as the highlight of a special prime time TV announcement, only to renege on it completely a fortnight later. He just continues to make a dick of himself, (and of you).

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not the one claiming that a company posting a loss is expanding, you are, and the fact that they are posting a loss is indeed in the public domain.

Nissan is making a loss as are other car manufacturers, however they obviously can see that they can do better outside the EU.  Elon Musk is setting up a  car plant in the UK for exactly the same reason.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Nissan is making a loss as are other car manufacturers, however they obviously can see that they can do better outside the EU.

It must be sheer coincidence that as soon as Japan got a trade deal allowing them to export cars to the EU at 0% tariffs, Japanese companies started shutting car plants in the EU.  Odd that!

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

The problem being a large number of people have done the risk assessment and think they are unlikely to be a victim.

14 hours ago, frangar said:

And they will mostly be right. 

But none of them will have any idea how many people have become infected and died as a direct result of their irresponsibility/selfishness/ignorance or any combination thereof.

The missing element from the official message has been "it isn't just you, it's everyone else too". I've a feeling that wouldn't play too well with Joe Public now, post-Durhamgate.

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

People avoid me anyway once they see the trombone through the window.

I always wondered how you managed seventh position with the windows shut!

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It must be sheer coincidence that as soon as Japan got a trade deal allowing them to export cars to the EU at 0% tariffs, Japanese companies started shutting car plants in the EU.  Odd that!

Nissan are competely closing their factory in Barcelona so will have no production at all in the EU. Odd that !

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Nissan are competely closing their factory in Barcelona so will have no production at all in the EU. Odd that !

And if, as the other poster has indicated, they can export from Japan with 0% tariff, what logical reason would there be for them to have to pay a 10% tariff to export from the UK to the EU if we think it is such a smart idea to have no trade agreement with the EU?

32 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

And if, as the other poster has indicated, they can export from Japan with 0% tariff, what logical reason would there be for them to have to pay a 10% tariff to export from the UK to the EU if we think it is such a smart idea to have no trade agreement with the EU?

Well it's what they have done, so they must have their reason for closing down production in the EU and opening those lines in the UK.

7 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

"and if you push the slide out even further ... ... ... ... it drops off".

("Professor" Jimmy Edwards circa1963)

8th position, to us professionals.  Not that I'm subverting this thread from its political wing.

43 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Well, they're doing it for economic and efficiency reasons.  Nissan obviously think the UK is going to be the best place to do business after brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/nissan-sunderland-factory-safe-but-plant-in-barcelona-will-close-coronavirus#maincontent

11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Well, they're doing it for economic and efficiency reasons.  Nissan obviously think the UK is going to be the best place to do business after brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/28/nissan-sunderland-factory-safe-but-plant-in-barcelona-will-close-coronavirus#maincontent

You can't talk about Nissan as a stand-alone company, and it is silly to extrapolate as if it were. Consider the alliance it has in place with Renault (and Mitsubishi). Renault vehicles could be assembled in Sunderland, and Nissan vehicles in France, for example.   

There are also connections with Romania, another EU country (Dacia, through Renault).

47 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can't talk about Nissan as a stand-alone company, and it is silly to extrapolate as if it were. Consider the alliance it has in place with Renault (and Mitsubishi). Renault vehicles could be assembled in Sunderland, and Nissan vehicles in France, for example.   

There are also connections with Romania, another EU country (Dacia, through Renault).

Nissan had an alliance with Seat in EU Spain but they chose to close it despite the EU saying it will put a 10% tarrif on imports from the UK. If the EU do put tarrifs on imported cars I expect the UK will do the same so no advantage to either side. Do you not think Nissan are are fully aware of this ?

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Nissan had an alliance with Seat in EU Spain but they chose to close it despite the EU saying it will put a 10% tarrif on imports from the UK. If the EU do put tarrifs on imported cars I expect the UK will do the same so no advantage to either side. Do you not think Nissan are are fully aware of this ?

It is the UK (or a proportion of it) that seem to be saying that they will be happy with no deal terms, hence the 10% WTO tariff rate. You still don't understand that if we have no deal with them, the tariffs will be imposed, not out of vindictiveness but because if they aren't they will have to offer the same terms to everyone else in the WTO. Likewise the UK will also be obliged to impose the tariffs otherwise we have to give the same terms to everyone else in the WTO. That is what no deal means but you just don't seem to get it do you?

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Ghosn: Nissan "will go bankrupt in two to three years" Fugitive and ex-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn isn't done talking. It appears he's just getting started. On Tuesday, Bloomberg reported that Ghosn told his defense attorney Nobuo Gohara, a former prosecutor, that "Nissan will go bankrupt in two to three years."

5 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ghosn: Nissan "will go bankrupt in two to three years" Fugitive and ex-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn isn't done talking. It appears he's just getting started. On Tuesday, Bloomberg reported that Ghosn told his defense attorney Nobuo Gohara, a former prosecutor, that "Nissan will go bankrupt in two to three years."

I think he has an axe to grind! After didn't he escape from Japan in a packing case? 

On 01/06/2020 at 22:13, peterboat said:

Well it's what they have done, so they must have their reason for closing down production in the EU and opening those lines in the UK.

Nobody in Europe is daft enough to buy the Joke....sorry, Juke..