Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nevertheless we absolutely must have an economy or we will have no NHS not even a stressed out one. There are only so many billions to be had to keep people at home. 

Shame we're heading for a major crash with a no deal exit from the EU, really...

58 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Source?

I merely question the rather unusual Russian statistics. Most countries, China included (4645 (deaths)/84570 (infections) x 100 = 5.49%), have infection/death rates of circa 5% and yet Russia seems to have a particularly low infection/death rate (4693 (deaths)/405,843 (infections) x 100 = 1.15%) , can you explain that? Has Russia found a cure? Higher infection/death rates I can understand since it probably means that they are undercounting infections but how do you get a low percentage unless you are cooking the books?

The only person responsible for the pandemic disaster in the US is Trump,('We have it under control' ( https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-coronavirus-control-us-problem/story?id=69198905 )) and you, as his spokesman, are merely swallowing his narrative that someone else must be to blame. What do you think that the WHO had the power to do if they wished to dispute Chinese data? They have no power at all, much the same as if they wish to question anyone else's data, they are not an enforcement agency. They have no power to demand entry to any country or insist upon that country taking any specific action, so what do you think they could/should have done?

Have a look at ditchcrawlers video more than likely completely true but that then makes trump right so you keep on believing it came from the bats! Me nah China made this virus 

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nevertheless we absolutely must have an economy or we will have no NHS not even a stressed out one. There are only so many billions to be had to keep people at home. 

Shame we're heading for a major crash with a no deal exit from the EU, really...

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Will there be  a EU to  have  deal with ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Then why did your hero not tell us that, instead of introducing his all singing and dancing Covid Alert System, and telling us that, when we achieved Level 3, he could consider releasing us from lockdown, bit by bit.

We had a week of lies and deceit about the Cummings bloke, and we now have release from lockdown whilst still at Level 4.

I think Raab said something about "transitioning from Level 4 to Level 3", but what that actually means is that we are still at Level 4. This is the bloke who didnt realise the significance of the width of the English Channel.

Yet more followership from your useless hero and his oppos.... 

Anyway, the canals are likely to all be open on june 1, and we can all play out.

I just watched the "Golden Age of Canals" and realised it's only 60 years since they really got opened up again. Be a right shame if they just got left to the fishermen and trolley-dumpers just because a few of us old farts might die a bit early.  Me, I'm stocking the tub with as much food as I can to minimise shopping, doubling my usual book supply and swanning off the moment I can. Carefully. People avoid me anyway once they see the trombone through the window.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

What! Another Brexit supporter who won't let it drop?

Nothing to do with support or not, I'm a realist, we're leaving as you keep telling us. But viruses and economics don't care about the politics, they just are.

But it doesn't matter, let's just enjoy the canal system while we've got it, which judging by the state of it, won't be much longer.  It doesn't matter a jot who's running the country, they aren't going to pour money into our bit of fun while businesses crash round their ears.

21 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Have a look at ditchcrawlers video more than likely completely true but that then makes trump right so you keep on believing it came from the bats! Me nah China made this virus 

Since I don't speak Chinese, the guy in the video could quite literally be saying anything at all from '5G created Covid' to 'I work at Wong's Takeaway', there is no indication of who he is so as far as 'proof' goes, it doesn't score that highly.

Trump has 100,000 dead Americans to his credit, and you still think he is 'right'? He told them it was all under control back in February, how did it suddenly change?

6 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Nothing to do with support or not, I'm a realist, we're leaving as you keep telling us. But viruses and economics don't care about the politics, they just are.

But it doesn't matter, let's just enjoy the canal system while we've got it, which judging by the state of it, won't be much longer.  It doesn't matter a jot who's running the country, they aren't going to pour money into our bit of fun while businesses crash round their ears.

I don't keep telling you. I only mention it because we keep hearing that it's the leavers who keep bringing it up. The reverse is the case as far as I can see so every time it's mentioned I flag it up.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Since I don't speak Chinese, the guy in the video could quite literally be saying anything at all from '5G created Covid' to 'I work at Wong's Takeaway', there is no indication of who he is so as far as 'proof' goes, it doesn't score that highly.

Trump has 100,000 dead Americans to his credit, and you still think he is 'right'? He told them it was all under control back in February, how did it suddenly change?

From the beginning their has been plenty of information that the Chinese have been lying, you have dismissed it all along! I believe the guy and the satellite photos showing heat sources all over that district in China.  One day we will know the truth, but for me along with many others we already know what happened, and plenty of Chinese people are trying to tell us the same 

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

On the other hand we will not be giving their failing economy more and more billions whilst not even a member.

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

Will there be  a EU to  have  deal with ?

Not for long if Italy is anything to go by.

10 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Then why did your hero not tell us that, instead of introducing his all singing and dancing Covid Alert System, and telling us that, when we achieved Level 3, he could consider releasing us from lockdown, bit by bit.

We had a week of lies and deceit about the Cummings bloke, and we now have release from lockdown whilst still at Level 4.

I think Raab said something about "transitioning from Level 4 to Level 3", but what that actually means is that we are still at Level 4. This is the bloke who didnt realise the significance of the width of the English Channel.

Yet more followership from your useless hero and his oppos.... 

The government cannot tell some people the truth, people like yourself simply cannot handle it so are told bits to placate you whilst reality continues.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

From the beginning their has been plenty of information that the Chinese have been lying, you have dismissed it all along! I believe the guy and the satellite photos showing heat sources all over that district in China.  One day we will know the truth, but for me along with many others we already know what happened, and plenty of Chinese people are trying to tell us the same 

If anyone, anywhere, thinks that anything said by a politician in power at a time of crisis is going to be 100% true, they're barmy.  They all lie without exception, mostly because they don't know what's going on, and the rest because it isn't important to them.  You just have to decide for yourself what to believe on the balance of probabilities, but it doesn't mean you'll be right. It's all just opinions, not facts, all you really know is what you see or touch for yourself. Causes don't matter anyway, it's dealing with your particular situation that does.

Which is why I don't give a toss what started it, I just want to get across Pontywotsit one more time before I have to give up boating!

Just to save us the effort, Peter, could you summarise what the Chinese are supposed to have done?

MP.

• Greenie 1

So give us a legitimate source of all of this 'information' so that I can view and check it. Yes the Chinese have been lying, so have the Americans, so has Russians so have we, so has pretty much every country if you are saying that not accurately giving out the figures is 'lying'.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

On the other hand we will not be giving their failing economy more and more billions whilst not even a member.

Actually, we will. We'll still have to buy the same amount of stuff from them, only we'll be paying whatever they decide to charge us and whatever customs taxes they decide to impose. And to sell them stuff, there will be import & export duties to pay, mounds of more paperwork etc. The upside for us is that with us needing another half million civil servants (so far) to do the paperwork, it'll help keep unemployment down.  As a former civil servant, I am of course fully in favour.

On 30/05/2020 at 21:24, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not sure how Standedge is going to work since the chaperone stands alongside the helmsman to advise of impending obstructions and where to stop to 'report in'. It may be a while before it opens.

Thats simple just do what the airlines are saying that have to do!
Put a mask on BEFORE you get on the boat.
 No obligation to keep it on.
Then you can take your place next to the other three people in the row for the next 3 hours. But no crowding outside the loo!
That would just putting yourself in drainage!!!!!

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually, we will. We'll still have to buy the same amount of stuff from them, only we'll be paying whatever they decide to charge us and whatever customs taxes they decide to impose. And to sell them stuff, there will be import & export duties to pay, mounds of more paperwork etc. The upside for us is that with us needing another half million civil servants (so far) to do the paperwork, it'll help keep unemployment down.  As a former civil servant, I am of course fully in favour.

Why do you think that Barnier has written to all the uk opposition parties begging them to get Boris to go for a 2 year extension ? Barnier knows that the EU is going to be a basket case after Covid and he wants to keep the UK in the club to get hold of the billions of £ in subs.  Nissan have seen the writing on the wall and are going to expand their UK Sunderland operation at the expense of their Seat/VW/Renault plant in Spain.  Do you really think that the EU will no longer want to sell us goods after we leave ? If they do a lot of their industry will go down the pan. If they want to play the tariff game we will do the same so no point for either side.

Edited by Flyboy

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Why do you think that Barnier has written to all the uk opposition parties begging them to get Boris to go for a 2 year extension ? Barnier knows that the EU is going to be a basket case after Covid and he wants to keep the UK in the club to get hold of the billions of £ in subs.  Nissan have seen the writing on the wall and are going to expand their UK Sunderland operation at the expense of their Seat/VW/Renault plant in Spain.  Do you really think that the EU will no longer want to sell us goods after we leave ? If they do a lot of their industry will go down the pan. If they want to play the tariff game we will do the same so no point for either side.

You have missed Tesla now looking at the Uk for its new gigafactory again after problems in Germany

On 30/05/2020 at 19:16, Arthur Marshall said:

The only virus we have successfully controlled is smallpox.

Not true.  Polio has been controlled and is close to eradication.  Viral diseases in livestock have been controlled too (because you can force a vaccine on livestock)

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

If we go out with no deal, the so-called WTO option they will have to 'play the tariff game' since if they don't they will have to trade with all other WTO members on the same terms. You seem to have some hotline to what Nissan are planning, or are you just guessing? At the moment they are about to post a loss, the first time since the 2008 crash, and you have intimate knowledge that they are expanding some operation? Whilst posting a trading loss? unlikely I would say. They may be consolidating their positions in the hope of going back into profit at some point, but a business that expands whilst posting a loss would be heading down the pan.

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

If we go out with no deal, the so-called WTO option they will have to 'play the tariff game' since if they don't they will have to trade with all other WTO members on the same terms. You seem to have some hotline to what Nissan are planning, or are you just guessing? At the moment they are about to post a loss, the first time since the 2008 crash, and you have intimate knowledge that they are expanding some operation? Whilst posting a trading loss? unlikely I would say. They may be consolidating their positions in the hope of going back into profit at some point, but a business that expands whilst posting a loss would be heading down the pan.

Saw on the news t'other day that Nissan are giving serious consideration to shutting down much of Renault production and moving some Renault vehicles to Sunderland. They are planning to close the Barcelona plan.

No secret 'insider information' it is widely known and circulated in the press.

Maybe you just didn't want to see it.

Nissan’s Sunderland factory is safe as the firm announces it will become a European manufacturing hub.

In a press conference broadcast from Japan this morning (May 29th) the manufacturer said it will be closing its factory in Barcelona as it admitted its brand had been ‘severely damaged’ with losses last year of £306m (40.5bn Yen).

It is now likely that some Renault models, built in other countries, could be built in Sunderland as the alliance looks to increase efficiencies.

The future of the Sunderland plant – which produces cars such as the Qashqai, Leaf and Juke – has been uncertain for some time, but fresh confirmation by Nissan as part of its ‘Transformation Plan’ has confirmed the Japanese car maker sees the site as a core part of its European presence.

• Greenie 1