Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Very true, some do, some don't.  You can't rely on the damn things, really.

And it's equally possible it could mutate favourably, leave us alone and decimate dogs or squirrels. We can only play the hand we are dealt.

• Greenie 1

It took 200 years to eliminate smallpox after a vaccine was found that gives lifetime immunity. We are only at the beginning and even with a good wind and calm seas I doubt if we will see the end in my lifetime (hopefully over 25 years left).

• Greenie 1

Environment Agency usually follow CRT with their advice - but this time they have followed No. 10 and given whacky advice instead.

"We are working hard to make sure powered boats can start leisure cruising on our waterways from 1 June at the latest. In order to be ready for this we have reassured boaters they can now visit their moored boats (subject to approval of your marina operator or boat club) to check them, carry out maintenance and ensure they are ready for use."

1st June tomorrow and no further info. from EA

Full text at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/environment-agency-waterways-coronavirus-covid-19-update/environment-agency-waterways-coronavirus-covid-19-update-19-may-2020

40 minutes ago, Detling said:

It took 200 years to eliminate smallpox after a vaccine was found that gives lifetime immunity.

In reality, smallpox was eradicated when:

From 1958 to 1977, the World Health Organization conducted a global vaccination campaign that eradicated smallpox

so... if a vaccine is found, this virus would likely be eradicated as fast as a global vaccination campaign could be conducted.

I don’t know how fast that would be, but it wouldn’t be the 2 centuries that you are talking about, and it wouldn’t be the 20 years of the above campaign.

In the U.K., if one person could give 50 vaccinations a day, we would need 4000 people giving them daily for a year. 

Given that there are about 7000 GP practices in England alone, if each had a dedicated vaccination room/external tent, working 7 days a week, and herd immunity is gained at about 60% or so, the UK could be protected in about 3 or 4 months, with everyone vaccinated in about 6 months.

The key to all of this is the finding of a vaccine, and the hope that this inadequate government can organise the supply and distribution of it.

10 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

In the U.K., if one person could give 50 vaccinations a day, we would need 4000 people giving them daily for a year. 

When I have had the flu jab at a special clinic at my local GP  practice I was in and out in under 5 minutes, so a full day session could vaccinate far more than 50 people.  Local pharmacies also offer the flu jab, so in practice I think the system's capacity is much higher.

I think the bigger problem might be manufacturing the vaccine on a suffcient scale, given that there is going to be a worldwide demand.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Very true, some do, some don't.  You can't rely on the damn things, really.

Evidence so far appears to show very limited mutation of Covid-19. Hopefully the fullness of time will confirm that. 

On 30/05/2020 at 12:24, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not sure how Standedge is going to work since the chaperone stands alongside the helmsman to advise of impending obstructions and where to stop to 'report in'. It may be a while before it opens.

Not compulsory. If unsafe to do so. 

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

When I have had the flu jab at a special clinic at my local GP  practice I was in and out in under 5 minutes, so a full day session could vaccinate far more than 50 people.  Local pharmacies also offer the flu jab, so in practice I think the system's capacity is much higher.

Yes... but given the post I was replying to suggested a couple of hundred years, even a conservative assumption as to volume and speed, showed a few months. I used 10 mins per vaccination to allow some slack.

28 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I think the bigger problem might be manufacturing the vaccine on a suffcient scale, given that there is going to be a worldwide demand.

Astra Zeneca says it has capacity to make a billion doses of a vaccine, although it doesnt give a time frame. It also says it has tied up deals for 400 million doses, if it works.

Having said that, Hancock has said that "up to" 30 million doses "could be" available for the UK in September - so that probably means that none "will" be available.

Anyway... I don't think we have to worry about the speed with which the vaccines could be physically given.

According to my Google feed a Chinese company is 99% positive it has developed an effective vaccine! Amazing it came from China and the vaccine could come form China, hope they give us the vaccine free like they did the virus ?

55 minutes ago, peterboat said:

According to my Google feed a Chinese company is 99% positive it has developed an effective vaccine! Amazing it came from China and the vaccine could come form China, hope they give us the vaccine free like they did the virus ?

Bet they don't. The reason there was never a vaccine for sars or ebola is because there was no money in them. There will be for this one... The AZ vaccine doesn't stop the infection, just the pneumonia, so it's only a halfway house.

On 30/05/2020 at 15:42, Sir Nibble said:

With luck the idiots will be infected in large enough numbers to achieve herd immunity.

This is actualy probably how it will pan out. Even though the restrictions are lifting I am not forced to do anything any different, many of us who are retired are in that position. Dont have to go and mix and if you stay at home there is little chance of catching covid. We are still only doing safe shopping and going nowhere near any beaches or tourist spots and we will not be for many weeks. I accept working people have less options but they still dont have to join the muppets on a beach in the sun.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Nobody lives there.

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Hardly anybody lives there either.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nobody lives there.

Hardly anybody lives there either.

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Over ten million people in Greece, and 650,000 of them in Athens.

At the same rate we would have been looking at just over 1,000 UK deaths. TOTAL.

Admittedly there may be some accounting discrepancies, but it doesn't explain the huge disparity.

I think the real issue is London is the center of the universe so it like some other countries recieved lots of visitors from China very early on so we started early but never knew because China and the WHO covered it up 

Edited by peterboat

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I think the real issue is London is the center of the universe so it like some other countries recieved lots of visitors from China very early on so we started early but never knew because China and the WHO covered it up 

Given that there seems to be a 2 week period between catching it and recovering enough to be discharged from hospital or dying, an awful lot of people must have died without being recorded, or somehow held on until the beginning of March to die.

• Greenie 1

We knew a long time before Peter's pals in Westminster did anything. I don't think WHO covered it up - quite the reverse, in fact - but if infected people were coming in by air, why are we still not quarantining airline passengers? Talk about horses and stable doors. 

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Given that there seems to be a 2 week period between catching it and recovering enough to be discharged from hospital or dying, an awful lot of people must have died without being recorded, or somehow held on until the beginning of March to die.

We thought  it was seasonal flu we had no idea their was a problem cos Chinese covered it up and the WHO did cover it up because they believed the Chinese 

Edited by peterboat

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

We thought  it was seasonal flu we had no idea their was a problem cos Chinese covered it up and the WHO did cover it up because they believed the Chinese 

Have a look at this, and then tell me WHO were running a cover-up:

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/27-04-2020-who-timeline---covid-19

On 30/05/2020 at 16:03, Goliath said:

‘ear, did you realise after reading a Guardian article, within their begging letter at the bottom, there’s a bit to say how many times you’ve read one of their articles on your device?

I wanted to cut and paste it to show you but it’s gone. It said 21. 
Any way: perhaps the Guardian has  a better track and trace in place than the government. They’ll have the dates of the articles read, will they know where you were? ??

That article is shocking by the way

But completely believable. 

It's a cookie set on your device. Number is incremented every time you read an article. You can test this theory by deleting your grauniad cookie when you will discover you haven't previously read any articles.

On 29/05/2020 at 18:13, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Who is going to charge you a £100 fine? CRT can't and I haven't seen any plod patrolling the towpaths, you are probably at a greater risk of being hit by a meterorite:rolleyes:

Back home and no fine. Still very quiet, I would say we passed 5 moving boats all weekend, if that. 

42 minutes ago, peterboat said:

But doctors have reported that in serious cases Covid-19 shows up as asevere pneumonia like lung infection, plus a wide range of other symptoms totally unlike seasonal flu.