Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

My dilemma’s whether to wait for the Standedge to open or take the long route around via the Rochdale hoping the stoppages clear as I travel. And then there’s a chance I might get stuck again when restrictions come in because of a lack of water. 

Had a short walk up the HNC yesterday,and lock 1E paddle gear chained up.Not that it mattered,as there didn't look as though there was enough water to get over the cill.

The only craft that could navigate there at the moment is a paddleboard.

Locks 5,7 and 8E are listed as closed due to silt and I don't know how going through Standedge is going to work maintaining social distancing from the chaperone.

Walked the other way down the Huddersfield Broad,and lock 9 bottom gates leaking badly.Dont think it would be possible to open the top gates without using a "Spanish Windlass"

The pound between locks 8 and 7 is very low too.

You might as well go to the pub.  Oh,sorry,I forgot!

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Trouble is, even if the government does listen to and act upon the scientific advice, large numbers of the population -- even larger numbers since the Rose Garden whitewash -- will no longer trust them and will ignore the rules. That is the time-bomb Johnson has lit under all of us. 

There is no hope of reimposing lockdown unless real and savage enforcement takes place. Those who have done their best and carried out their "civic duty" feel like they've been taken for mugs. It's not just the Cummings effect, it's seeing wholesale flouting of what are laughably called "rules" from day one without consequence. The only rule now is every man for himself.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Had a short walk up the HNC yesterday,and lock 1E paddle gear chained up.Not that it mattered,as there didn't look as though there was enough water to get over the cill.

Locks 5,7 and 8E are listed as closed due to silt and I don't know how going through Standedge is going to work maintaining social distancing from the chaperone.

Walked the other way down the Huddersfield Broad,and lock 9 bottom gates leaking badly.Dont think it would be possible to open the top gates without using a "Spanish Windlass"

If only I could go the boozer.

After phoning CRT, I understand the tunnel may reopen in a few weeks. 

And under current circumstances I could stay put longer but like everyone else, I’m itching to move. 
But there are issues in all directions other than the direction I came. 
I guess I’ll shuffle up and down this side. I still ain’t explored the lower peak properly. 
Without pubs the reason to explore becomes a bit meaningless. Have I got to start taking up walks in the countryside?

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

That's a rather scary opinion Arthur!

But probably true.

I’m enjoying the ‘darker’ side to Arthur. I find I agree with a fair portion of what he’s saying. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

My dilemma’s whether to wait for the Standedge to open or take the long route around via the Rochdale hoping the stoppages clear as I travel. And then there’s a chance I might get stuck again when restrictions come in because of a lack of water. 

I'm not sure how Standedge is going to work since the chaperone stands alongside the helmsman to advise of impending obstructions and where to stop to 'report in'. It may be a while before it opens.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The documents also showed only half of people isolate for seven days when they become sick.

Well we all know one who didn't and has said it was the right thing to do on National TV

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If that's a reply to me.... I definitely don't disagree with you, and you seem to be agreeing with what Ian Boyd has stated.

It wasn't a reply to anyone really, just a statement of what I think

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well we all know one who didn't and has said it was the right thing to do on National TV

That is correct

Anyone may disobey the rules providing they have  a reasonable excuse  or even an unreasonable excuse such as testing testing their eyesight . The acceptability of the eyesight testing excuse  has been verified by the Prime Minister, no less.

Getting  people to infect each other, while officially advising the opposite , is part of the underlying plan.

54 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

And on the Rochdale locks 6-7 are still closed until dredging has been completed - estimated 4 weeks, and there is also a closed of undefined duration at locks 61-64 due to culvert failure.

8 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That is correct

Anyone may disobey the rules providing they have  a reasonable excuse  or even an unreasonable excuse such as testing testing their eyesight . The acceptability of the eyesight testing excuse  has been verified by the Prime Minister, no less.

Getting  people to infect each other, while officially advising the opposite , is part of the underlying plan.

Given the Johnson and Cummings are going for herd immunity, they must “know” that, once you have had the virus, you are immune - mustn’t they?

Having said that, there are a number of restrictions which are based on the fact that they don’t believe in immunity - so which is it?

Whatever the case, they have created a situation where they will be able to blame the public for any increase in numbers, rather than taking responsibility themselves.

It would be amusing, if it wasn’t going to result in many unnecessary deaths :( 

It will be interesting to see what happens at today’s propaganda presentation, now that we know that they have not been “following The Science”.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

People may well be willing to take that chance with their own health. The point is that nobody has the right to take that chance with anyone else's health.

Well said too many self centred folk everywhere, would be nice to see answers to the op and not an excuse to knock boris and the gov.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm not sure how Standedge is going to work since the chaperone stands alongside the helmsman to advise of impending obstructions and where to stop to 'report in'. It may be a while before it opens.

Yes I’m interested to know how they’ll do it. 
I was making enquiries to CRT yesterday because I’m weighing up what to do. I’m waiting on the enforcer team to ring and confirm if it’s reasonable to wait here. And I can’t see why not. My initial phone calls implied it’ll be a matter of a few weeks. But who knows? A few weeks could turn into a month or more. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

And on the Rochdale locks 6-7 are still closed until dredging has been completed - estimated 4 weeks, and there is also a closed of undefined duration at locks 61-64 due to culvert failure.

Yep, I’ve been looking at these too. 
I thought going from Manchester to the Summit would be a good journey to pass the time. There’s going to be an update on the culvert at locks 61-64 on Friday the 5th. If that update looks promising I might go back down the Ashton to Manchester and up the Rochdale. 

What’s Chadderton like?
Should the culvert be a shortish term fix, I might make my way around and time to get there as the work finishes, or sit the last week or so out below the locks and wait for the work to finish. So what’s Chadderton like?

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens at today’s propaganda presentation, now that we know that they have not been “following The Science”.

Ah yes, the "world leading testing and tracking system".....not only have they now lost the ability to give us the Actual number of people tested, the highly trained contact tracing teams are now letting its success methods out...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/boris-johnsons-test-and-tracing-system-britain-lockdown

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

People may well be willing to take that chance with their own health. The point is that nobody has the right to take that chance with anyone else's health.

Well if you consider "right" to be whatever isn't forbidden and prosecuted under law then I'm afraid the evidence is that yes, they do have that right.

This is something the current administration appears to have forgotten. That's not Boris bashing, it is just what the overwhelming majority of ordinary people obviously think.

The grown-ups amongst us (and there are none of those in power) know that there can be no rights without responsibilities.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

This is something the current administration appears to have forgotten. That's not Boris bashing, it is just what the overwhelming majority of ordinary people obviously think.

The grown-ups amongst us (and there are none of those in power) know that there can be no rights without responsibilities.

Exactly. With the right of the people to be protected against the actions of others comes the responsibility of the state to provide that protection. I need protection from people recklessly disregarding covid precautions more than I need protection from people driving at 35mph in a 30 limit.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Given the Johnson and Cummings are going for herd immunity, they must “know” that, once you have had the virus, you are immune - mustn’t they?

Having said that, there are a number of restrictions which are based on the fact that they don’t believe in immunity - so which is it?

Whatever the case, they have created a situation where they will be able to blame the public for any increase in numbers, rather than taking responsibility themselves.

It would be amusing, if it wasn’t going to result in many unnecessary deaths :( 

It sounds as though you were expecting things to be different. Right from the outset I knew the government would f... this up, no government are good at managing crisis. Many things about this whole saga were, and continue to be, entirely predictable. It’s not just the government response either, the public behaviour, from panic buying, to bending the rules is all sadly foreseeable. Moving on from the situation that exists today, in the absence of a real stroke of luck aka a vaccine, the testing and tracing will be nothing more than lip service, there will be a second wave of the virus. I believe the herd immunity theory has not gone away, they just don’t talk about it openly, because informing the public, that a lot of people have to die, is not very good for voting intentions. I believe the current lockdown was put in place, simply to give the government time to line up its ducks in a row, regarding testing, nhs capacity, PPE etc, now they believe that have this all in place, time to let the virus propagate through the population, but hopefully below the level where they lose control of it. So basically, all you little people need to get about your business, infecting each other with your unhygienic habits, so that the virus burns itself out, whilst those of us who are more important and of a well healed disposition, sit out the second wave from the cocoons of relevant safety we inhabit. Keep calm and carry on.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Ah yes, the "world leading testing and tracking system".....not only have they now lost the ability to give us the Actual number of people tested, the highly trained contact tracing teams are now letting its success methods out...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/30/boris-johnsons-test-and-tracing-system-britain-lockdown

‘ear, did you realise after reading a Guardian article, within their begging letter at the bottom, there’s a bit to say how many times you’ve read one of their articles on your device?

I wanted to cut and paste it to show you but it’s gone. It said 21. 
Any way: perhaps the Guardian has  a better track and trace in place than the government. They’ll have the dates of the articles read, will they know where you were? ??

That article is shocking by the way

But completely believable. 

4 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

They didn’t last year...if you have a trad stern they now stand at the front and direct from there since apparently one of the guides went for an impromptu swim. So social distancing isn’t an issue. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

‘ear, did you realise after reading a Guardian article, within their begging letter at the bottom, there’s a bit to say how many times you’ve read one of their articles on your device?

I wanted to cut and paste it to show you but it’s gone. It said 21. 
Any way: perhaps the Guardian has  a better track and trace in place than the government. They’ll have the dates of the articles read, will they know where you were? ??

That article is shocking by the way

But completely believable. 

They sure do track you, Im on over 1600 pages by now, and before I get accused of being some kind of left wing trendy hipster guardian reader , I will  go against government policy and agree my transgression and  admit it.

However it gives some balance against the BBC.

6 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I thought hoarding  food was anti social and selfish just like it was at the start of the pandemic. If we all do it there will be shortages like before so please don't.

I'm not sure that storing a few cans of beans and soup packets on the boat counts as hoarding - it's more or less what I do every year! I always stock as much as I can before setting off for my summer holiday. Anyway, hoarding is storing stuff you aint going to use - stocking the boat for a few weeks isn't the same.

Mind you, I have every intention of setting up a large reserve of everything before Brexit day at the year end. Be a fool not to.