Canal re-opening

colmac

Featured Posts

I apologise in advance if this topic has been done to death but..........have just read on CRT website that the canals are fully open from Monday but, and this is where I am getting confused, we still can't stay overnight if we are leisure boaters so basically no change ?

7 minutes ago, colmac said:

I apologise in advance if this topic has been done to death but..........have just read on CRT website that the canals are fully open from Monday but, and this is where I am getting confused, we still can't stay overnight if we are leisure boaters so basically no change ?

As far as we currently know, you will be allowed to use locks and there will be more staff back at work.

No update yet on the overnight thing, but I do note that they are allowing caravan and motorhome sales forecourts to reopen when the car sales places do, which seems daft if people are not allowed to go away in them!

28 minutes ago, colmac said:

Not much of a change for leisure boaters while the government still insist tourists must return home and not stay out for the night. 

A bigger change for continuous cruisers though because we can now move again and make longer journeys.  

However, it looks like it’s gonna take awhile for CRT to get it’s staff back to work and the original info stated:

From Monday, 1 June:

On this date, we anticipate that our navigations will re-open in full, subject to some exceptions*, and you will be able to undertake longer journeys.

According to current guidance, those who do not liveaboard should not stay overnight. We will seek further clarification as to whether overnight stays will be permissible once full navigation resumes.

*Please bear in mind that it will take time to get the entire network fully operational, and booking for some passages and services will be required. Some sections may be closed for a further period. Our website will be updated with the details closer to the time.

So subject to exceptions. 
I’ve had my booking through the Standedge Tunnel cancelled for example.  Mind you, I thought it’d be a long shot. My guess is this bit of the navigation will be one of the last to reopen because for one thing a chaperone Is needed. 

Harecastle tunnel is already operating I think?
Don’t know about Anderton?

Bingley 5 rise might be late opening I’m guessing. 
Is anyone aware of other places that require bookings or assisted passage that might be late opening ? 

2 minutes ago, colmac said:

Sorry jen-in-Wellies the significance of this comment escapes me, what am I missing ?

You need to follow the news a bit more ?

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Take a short cruise to check your eyesight is OK first though. That will be fine. ?

After this afternoons beer ? I shall go for a drive to test if my eyesight really is blurry. 

I won’t that’s  a joke. 
Joking ? 

(I’ll wait til after the vodka)

• Haha 1

Our boat should have been back at Great Haywood marina but has been stuck on the Gloucester Sharpness so with the bridges and locks reopening we may have to cruise back to our home mooring.  I think that sounds like justification for staying overnight rather than returning home.

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Anyone who doesn't stay overnight on a boat at this point because they are waiting to be given permission to do so by the government to do so is a mug.

MP.

Or trying their best to comply rather than find loopholes? Its irelevant how anyone else has acted.

7 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Anyone who doesn't stay overnight on a boat at this point because they are waiting to be given permission to do so by the government to do so is a mug.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Or trying their best to comply rather than find loopholes? Its irelevant how anyone else has acted.

Are you not staying on your boat tonight then? :P

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Forgive me if I missed something, but haven't you been living in a variety of places since the beginning of this?

Not a variety no. 2 to be precise or I suppose that could be a variety, I did come home to my boat asap and have not yet been boating. Will be having a good catch up on monday night though and complying 100 percent with the governments wishes. Actualy put that house on the market yesterday to get rid of the damn thing and the estate agent is doing all the viewings so I dont even need to see any tyre kickers. Advised strongly not to reduce the price as the market has already bounced straight back in that area so on at the valuation before lockdown.

25 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Our boat should have been back at Great Haywood marina but has been stuck on the Gloucester Sharpness so with the bridges and locks reopening we may have to cruise back to our home mooring.  I think that sounds like justification for staying overnight rather than returning home.

Some things are best just done. 
And as soon as. 

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Anyone who doesn't stay overnight on a boat at this point because they are waiting to be given permission to do so by the government is a mug.

MP.

Todays press conference says "you can visit friends and relatives but you must return home - no 'stop-overs' allowed.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Not a variety no. 2 to be precise or I suppose that could be a variety, I did come home to my boat asap and have not yet been boating. Will be having a good catch up on monday night though and complying 100 percent with the governments wishes. Actualy put that house on the market yesterday to get rid of the damn thing and the estate agent is doing all the viewings so I dont even need to see any tyre kickers. Advised strongly not to reduce the price as the market has already bounced straight back in that area so on at the valuation before lockdown.

I know how many it was.... are you Mr.Smelly, or Mr. Loophole?

4 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Anyone who doesn't stay overnight on a boat at this point because they are waiting to be given permission to do so by the government is a mug.

Quite. If you can't stay on the boat you might have to drive 246 miles home.

We live in one of those house things, and when it gets chilly, we moor up and go home for the winter.  For the rest of the year we normally potter about the canal system, returning home for a fortnight or so and then back again. We have been informed that due to the boats location relative to our house, it is wise for us to overnight on board during our imminent move, rather than return home after a hard days locking and tunnelling.  And presumably (were not going to double check!!!) during any subsequent fortnightly moves.

So thats what were gonna do. A bit obscure I know, Id prefer not to identify any officials involved.  But I think theres a clear and sensible message here.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I know how many it was.... are you Mr.Smelly, or Mr. Loophole?

If your boat is your main residence, then that's where you should be.  And sometimes it's  bit difficult to determine which is your first or 2nd home.

I'm still not going to overnight on mine, I'm assuming that with CCers roaming the place it'll be opened up to the rest of us soon enough - caravan parks are starting to take bookings from the beginning of July and so are a couple of hire boat companies, I think. I suspect us leisure bods will be allowed to stay overnight from the middle of June.  If not, they're daft because people will be anyway.  Every change in the advice so far has just followed what people have actually been doing - there's been no "scientific" reasoning involved.

• Love 2