It's open Again

matty40s

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Today's absolute stinker which seems to have gone under the press radar so far is the Gov banning some labs from testing the samples sent in from people who have spent £70 buying the tests from Superdrug and online pharmacies.

This isnt because those tests are faulty or inaccurate, it is purely so the government can reach the testing capacity promised when they lied about reaching the last promised figure at the end of April. By banning private tests, the Gov can claim that capacity as it's own, even though they fail on a daily basis to reach their own target already (on an actual basis.)

For the last 5 days, the ACTUAL number of people tested (as opposed to TOTAL tests done)figure has been absent from the published stats. When asked about this , Downing Street said "sorry, we hadn't noticed"

You may or may not know, but Moominmama has come out of retirement and is working on one of the three labs which are doing the bulk of the testing. When she started, the lab she works at was expecting to go to 24/7 work any day now. That has not happened, and in fact the afternoon shift has been cancelled for yesterday, today, and tomorrow. There aren't enough tests coming in to need two shifts, never mind three. Whatever is stopping them from reaching the targets, it ain't shortage of  lab capacity.

MP.

5 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I'm afraid there are a large number of people already  ignoring that advice. 

If it's advice, they're perfectly entitled to ignore it, especially as it alters by the direction of the wind.  If it's the law... well, everybody breaks them anyway.  I cite the M56 yesterday in my defence, m'lord.  Although, just possibly, if anyone of our lords and masters ever bothered to tell us what the pandemic law actually is now it might help. I can't make head or tail of it, and I've read the damn thing twice this evening, except it SEEMS to be saying that although a load of shops are opening next week, I'm not legally allowed into any of them.  Never mind, I expect they'll amend it in a year or two.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

If it's advice, they're perfectly entitled to ignore it, especially as it alters by the direction of the wind.  If it's the law... well, everybody breaks them anyway.  I cite the M56 yesterday in my defence, m'lord.  Although, just possibly, if anyone of our lords and masters ever bothered to tell us what the pandemic law actually is now it might help. I can't make head or tail of it, and I've read the damn thing twice this evening, except it SEEMS to be saying that although a load of shops are opening next week, I'm not legally allowed into any of them.  Never mind, I expect they'll amend it in a year or two.

Isn't it fun, being gaslighted by our own government?

MP.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Could you provide some evidence of this please.

Otherwise it just becomes another piece of fake news.

Thankyou.

Never the best sources, but it isn't 'fake news' according to these (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8358729/Health-regulator-tells-laboratories-STOP-analysing-samples-Covid-19-home-antibody-tests.html  ) (https://www.rt.com/uk/489878-health-regulator-home-testing-ban/ )

46 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Today's absolute stinker which seems to have gone under the press radar so far is the Gov banning some labs from testing the samples sent in from people who have spent £70 buying the tests from Superdrug and online pharmacies.

This isnt because those tests are faulty or inaccurate, it is purely so the government can reach the testing capacity promised when they lied about reaching the last promised figure at the end of April. By banning private tests, the Gov can claim that capacity as it's own, even though they fail on a daily basis to reach their own target already (on an actual basis.)

For the last 5 days, the ACTUAL number of people tested (as opposed to TOTAL tests done)figure has been absent from the published stats. When asked about this , Downing Street said "sorry, we hadn't noticed"

The published reason for stopping the test results being sent out is that they don't think people are very good at stabbing themselves in the finger, and the tests are unreliable unless blood is taken by a health professional.  Seeing as how they already reckon that a considerable proportion of the swab tests are taken wrongly too and also give false results, I suspect it's a valid reason for once.

It's incompetence in the organisation of testing, cock-up rather than conspiracy I think.  I don't actually think there's enough brains in the government to run a sensible conspiracy without it falling apart within five minutes.

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its not CRT it the Government statement that you have to return home.

The logic being that this balances health care (hospital beds) with population. A logic that I cannot fault. 

Regretably, the mood of many, especially post Cummings, is I'll do what I want not what is best for society.  

Having re read my post I would add that I have no faith in this particular government. P##s ups and breweries comes to mind

Edited by Slim

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Lol.

Come on, you know better surely?

Know better than what?

Are you saying that the labs have not been stopped from carrying out the tests?

If so, have you got a link that proves that?

7 hours ago, Slim said:

Regrettably, the mood of many, especially post Cummings, is I'll do what I want not what is best for society.  

Which may result in a second wave worse than the first . Is this the underlying plan?

7 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Know better than what?

If people start testing themselves, and the tests actually work (which is moot), it means the government's track and trace system will just be another laughing stock, which, due to the lack of any training for the tracers (who just work from the usual call centre type script) it will be anyway. Giving confidential information to a system run by the person in charge of TalkTalk when it had a massive data breach doesn't seem very sensible anyway, even if she is married to a Tory ex-minister MP and, being a Baroness, obviously of the highest personal integrity. 

If, as is usual, the call centre guys are paid by results, ie the number of people they manage to isolate, twice the entire population of the UK (apart from cabinet ministers), their dogs and most of their cats will be back in lockdown after a week.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Which may result in a second wave worse than the first . Is this the underlying plan?

Plan??

In my entire county yesterday, there were three new cases of Covid.  Sorry, I refuse to panic.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

43 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The second wave is on it's way :rolleyes:

I should think we will start to see an increase in hospital admissions in the next week or so and the increase in deaths a week or so after that.

Hope you are all stocked up ready for the next lock down!

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I should think we will start to see an increase in hospital admissions in the next week or so and the increase in deaths a week or so after that.

Hope you are all stocked up ready for the next lock down

The govt desperately need their track and trace to work. Therefore there will be a lot of calls and a lot of people locked up.  If, in my county, it is true there were only 3 new diagnoses of Covid yesterday, it's bit hard to see where the 2nd wave is coming from. I'd be bloody unlucky to catch it. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if a lot of Labour voters get quarantined just before the next round of elections....

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Hope you are all stocked up ready for the next lock down!

As expected. I think we all know the figures will yo yo unless we completely destroy the economy by being stayed locked down and emerge to a barren wasteland. Keeping within NHS hospital capacity is the main aim as it always has been.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The govt desperately need their track and trace to work. Therefore there will be a lot of calls and a lot of people locked up.  If, in my county, it is true there were only 3 new diagnoses of Covid yesterday, it's bit hard to see where the 2nd wave is coming from. I'd be bloody unlucky to catch it. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if a lot of Labour voters get quarantined just before the next round of elections....

Not sure what county you are in. It isn't necessarily people in the county you live in you have to worry about, those travelling to or though it can also carry the virus.

We have been lucky here there have been very few cases but we are still being extra careful.

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Know better than what?

I was pulling his leg about his source.

You need to lighten up a bit Rich old bean.

54 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The second wave comes bloody fast at an r rate of 4 which is the uncontrolled infection rate of this highly evolved virus.

What I find staggering and more worrying is the evidence for silent infection, which means a symptomatic people ( through no fault of their own) continue to shed large volumes of virus, in their regular haunts or employ. Viral load is implicated in severity. The staff testing figures for Weston hospitals were scary, many had no symptoms half the staff had it. 

Hope for a hot outside summer, don’t go anywhere where large crowds gather or where air is recirculated.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I was pulling his leg about his source.

Never obvious with you, Happy, is it?

You called it fake news and asked for a link.

You got your link and, rather than acknowledging it gracefully, you disparage it.

When called out on it, you suggest it was a joke.

I sense a bit of gaslighting :( 

The fact is that government has stopped private firms offering antibody tests, by labs that government uses for its own tests. In normal times, we might believe governments reasons for this but, right now, there is a rabbit off somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Never obvious with you, Happy, is it?

You called it fake news and asked for a link.

You got your link and, rather than acknowledging it gracefully, you disparage it.

When called out on it, you suggest it was a joke.

I sense a bit of gaslighting :( 

The fact is that government has stopped private firms offering antibody tests, by labs that government uses for its own tests. In normal times, we might believe governments reasons for this but, right now, there is a rabbit off somewhere.

I'm afraid unlike you I don't take anything on here very seriously,

I think it's pretty well acknowledged that the Daily Fail is normally not a bastion of accurate reporting and I can't recall WV ever using at as a source previously and given his political leanings found it quite amusing.

As I said lighten up matey.

I cannot see me getting to our boat anytime soon - North Wales 'new cases' are 'going crazy - guess where our boat is !

Cases throughout Wales are still climbing (they don't report that in the daily presentations) but look at North Wales (the yellow / gold line) over the last 3 weeks.

Graph shows North Wales on way to becoming Wales' worst affected coronavirus hotspot

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The second wave comes bloody fast at an r rate of 4 which is the uncontrolled infection rate of this highly evolved virus.

Would love to know where you got that figure from!!

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What you need is another boat ... ;)

Yes - maybe one 5 hours away in Plymouth would do.

(That one is currently undergoing sail refurbishment, new batteries, new cabling up the mast, hull polish, 2x engine servicing etc etc.)

The problem is, I've got half-done painting on the Cruiser from when I had to stop in October due to falling temps and heavy dews (not Jews !!)

Some bare GRP, some undercoat, some primed and some 1st coat of gloss.

Edited by Alan de Enfield