It's open Again

matty40s

Featured Posts

It doesn't matter what the Government or CRT say, the  canals are open again according to the volume of moving boats round here....and they areant day cruisers.

Perhaps it was the Cummings effect,  tied to the weather......but hey, whatever, go enjoy and stay safe.

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It doesn't matter what the Government or CRT say, the  canals are open again according to the volume of moving boats round here....and they areant day cruisers.

Perhaps it was the Cummings effect,  tied to the weather......but hey, whatever, go enjoy and stay safe.

It about mixed messages, The canals are open form 1 June, The relaxation of CC overstaying  has ended and time limits are back in force so if you were holed up on a 48 hr mooring you have to move, likewise you have to have left a 14 day mooring by I think June 6 so people are moving.

From Saturday, 23 May:
Mooring exemptions will come to an end and our guidance for continuous cruisers comes back in to force. This doesn’t mean that every boat without a home mooring needs to move on this day, just that we expect it to move off its current mooring within 14 days (i.e. by 6 June*). Boaters in a high-risk group who need to continue to shield or self-isolate can agree special arrangements with their licence support officer if they haven’t already done so.

We went out on Monday and passed about 5 boats going the other way.. definately picking up which is nice. Once the overnight restriction is lifted it will assist further.... I'm travelling 4 hours a day to my boat to do work as i cant stay overnight, which is a little silly....

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But no information that I can see from CRT to indicate when the manned sections such as Tuel Lane or the Anderton Lift will be open.

A conversation with the CRT the other week about this (for the manned staircase locks at Kirkstall), they suggested manned locks should be open again on either the 1st or 3rd June (forget which he said). I don't know if that is countrywide or just specifically around Leeds but I got the impression it was the whole shebang.

Here (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus) it says:

From Monday, 1 June:

On this date, we anticipate that our navigations will re-open in full, subject to some local exceptions, making longer journeys possible.

To me, and from my chat with the CRT bod, that suggests 1st June it'll all be up and running again.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

We went out on Monday and passed about 5 boats going the other way.. definately picking up which is nice. Once the overnight restriction is lifted it will assist further.... I'm travelling 4 hours a day to my boat to do work as i cant stay overnight, which is a little silly....

I'd say you could use your judgement and instinct, on the basis that the travelling you are doing is more likely to spread the virus, than staying overnight. Seems that overnight stays could be deemed essential, in the context of risk and safety, both of yourself and others?

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I'd say you could use your judgement and instinct, on the basis that the travelling you are doing is more likely to spread the virus, than staying overnight. Seems that overnight stays could be deemed essential, in the context of risk and safety, both of yourself and others?

You'd think so, but Its a bit more black and white with the marina who only permit 9am-4pm visits and these have to be booked...

• Greenie 1

Once the system is fully open on 1st June and they expect CCers to move I really can't see how they can argue that private leisure boats can't move about too. For a start, how can they tell the difference? As for the 2nd home argument, it could well be the boat is the first and the house the 2nd...

Nor can I see how it is more dangerous re virus spreading or catching, especially with pubs remaining closed..

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Once the system is fully open on 1st June and they expect CCers to move I really can't see how they can argue that private leisure boats can't move about too...  ..

Cc-ers have been expected to move on since Saturday, they must ALL have moved on by 6th June unless home to an "at risk" person.

It is quite obvious from today's boat movevents that Gayton, Blisworth, Bugbrooke and Braunston marinas are all open and letting leisure cruisers out again.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Hire boat out from.Gayton, probably 40 plus boats past here today.

Apparently the Police are getting pushback from all generations when trying to advise and enforce on Covid regulations......well done Dom.

Interesting that hire boats are going out, what CRT have said is that day hire of non powered boats, canoes etc, can now take place but no hiring of powered boats.  Do we think that is the incorrect understanding or are hire companies just ignoring what CRT are saying and getting on with it?

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Interesting that hire boats are going out, what CRT have said is that day hire of non powered boats, canoes etc, can now take place but no hiring of powered boats.  Do we think that is the incorrect understanding or are hire companies just ignoring what CRT are saying and getting on with it?

I think the public and companies are now just getting on with it.

What you state above is the same stupid logic that said I could canoe to Gayton but not take the boat to Gayton after the last Boris statement.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Once the system is fully open on 1st June and they expect CCers to move I really can't see how they can argue that private leisure boats can't move about too. For a start, how can they tell the difference? As for the 2nd home argument, it could well be the boat is the first and the house the 2nd...

Nor can I see how it is more dangerous re virus spreading or catching, especially with pubs remaining closed..

Its not CRT it the Government statement that you have to return home.

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its not CRT its Dominic Cummings statement that you have to return home......

BBC just now....

"

Matt Hancock says ....

"We think there is very strong instinct from the British people to follow the rules," he says."

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The law,such as it was a couple of weeks ago, no longer makes any sense at all. According to it, you could only leave your home with a reasonable excuse (largely undefined) and once that had expired (eg bought your groceries) you should go home.  Now shops of all sorts are opening, that becomes nonsense as well as unenforceable.  There's no conceivable essentiality for nipping into Oxfam or Waterstones, nice though it is.  So why should I have to go home instead of staying overnight on the boat I am trying to get derusted and painted?

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

BBC just now....

"

Matt Hancock says ....

"We think there is very strong instinct from the British people to follow the rules," he says."

The bloke hasn't got a clue has he.

A useful starting point since the start of this has been to assume that, if Matt Hancock is saying something, it isn't true.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The bloke hasn't got a clue has he.

A useful starting point since the start of this has been to assume that, if Matt Hancock is saying something, it isn't true.

.....or won't happen.

• Greenie 1

Today's absolute stinker which seems to have gone under the press radar so far is the Gov banning some labs from testing the samples sent in from people who have spent £70 buying the tests from Superdrug and online pharmacies.

This isnt because those tests are faulty or inaccurate, it is purely so the government can reach the testing capacity promised when they lied about reaching the last promised figure at the end of April. By banning private tests, the Gov can claim that capacity as it's own, even though they fail on a daily basis to reach their own target already (on an actual basis.)

For the last 5 days, the ACTUAL number of people tested (as opposed to TOTAL tests done)figure has been absent from the published stats. When asked about this , Downing Street said "sorry, we hadn't noticed"

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Today's absolute stinker which seems to have gone under the press radar so far is the Gov banning some labs from testing the samples sent in from people who have spent £70 buying the tests from Superdrug and online pharmacies.

This isnt because those tests are faulty or inaccurate, it is purely so the government can reach the testing capacity promised when they lied about reaching the last promised figure at the end of April. By banning private tests, the Gov can claim that capacity as it's own, even though they fail on a daily basis to reach their own target already (on an actual basis.)

For the last 5 days, the ACTUAL number of people tested (as opposed to TOTAL tests done)figure has been absent from the published stats. When asked about this , Downing Street said "sorry, we hadn't noticed"

Could you provide some evidence of this please.

Otherwise it just becomes another piece of fake news.

Thankyou.

11 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I think you should stop being silly now, just ask CRT for exemption or not ................. can you believe we have had one boater here ignoring all rules, regulations and common sense for weeks?

So many people to thank for keeping us safe, but it's the others that make me angry, they just don't give a damn about anyone else.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm afraid there are a large number of people already  ignoring that advice. 

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think you should stop being silly now, just ask CRT for exemption or not ................. can you believe we have had one boater here ignoring all rules, regulations and common sense for weeks?

So many people to thank for keeping us safe, but it's the others that make me angry, they just don't give a damn about anyone else.

The trouble is that no-one really knows what the rules are any more. You can read the actual letter of the law, but that's meaningless now, apart from the fact that it can be used whenever anyone in some form of authority feels like it even though it's ridiculous.  Stuff is said in these daily briefings which instantly turns out to be lies or misinformation and is hurriedly corrected (or possibly miscorreceted) by someone else who doesn't really know what they are talking about but just panics in a studio.  And as we know from dear old DC, one person's common sense is another person's sheer stupidity.

We know what CRT says, and at the moment I'm sticking to that, and while there are boats wandering up and down the Macc,  they're either CC starting to move on again (with much relief, I should think) or the odd day boat like me going out for a picnic with the wife and going home again.

But with the pubs shut, I still can't see what difference it would make to anyone if I pottered off for a week. I wouldn't even need to go to a shop in that time.  I certainly can't see what effect it would have on anyone at all if I went out for a night, stayed on the boat and then went home again.