Ribble link.

Callum4878

Featured Posts

Hi all,

we’re in the process of buying our first boat (offer accepted subject to survey), which is an RN engined tug. Have always wanted to do the Ribble link, but a bit of research lately revealed a maximum draft of I think 27”, our boat draws 30”! Anyone done it with a draw of 30” or more, and is there an optimum time of year for maximum depth?
Thanking you in anticipation

Does this booking process include a declaration to CRT that your boat is within the published dimensions?  If so, you might want to check the implications of agreeing to this knowing that you do not comply e.g. does your insurance policy cover you for the trip?  We measure 33" at the skeg so have ruled out the Ribble Link out despite wanting to do it.

34 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Does this booking process include a declaration to CRT that your boat is within the published dimensions?  If so, you might want to check the implications of agreeing to this knowing that you do not comply e.g. does your insurance policy cover you for the trip?  We measure 33" at the skeg so have ruled out the Ribble Link out despite wanting to do it.

I thought I had seen that someone tried to book with a boat out of dimension, and the web site would not let them make the booking.

The issue on the Ribble link is the lower part of Savick Brook, which is very shallow and tidal (the sea lock does not keep all the water in) , and you will be going up and down on a falling tide.  I would think you will certainly scrape the bottom and probably hit the concrete where the water outflow is.  I don’t know if it means you will not be able to make it or not.

I don’t think time of year will make a difference, but if you are first or last boat in the group going up/down Savick Brook will,

We draw 32” and didn’t have any issues in 2015...well no more than any other cut. Worth checking the tide height on your chosen crossing day. We also have a JP2 and kept up with the beta powered stuff. Just ask to go out first if you can. Main thing is check your cooling system as the engine will be working hard for quite a few hours...also if you can drop the belt off your domestic alternator just to lessen the load on the engine especially if you have a largish alternator. 

15 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

is there an optimum time of year for maximum depth?

Early in the year after they have dredged Savick Brook in the closed season.  If you keep an eye on the Winter Maintenance updates they usually say when and where they are doing it.

9 minutes ago, frangar said:

We draw 32” and didn’t have any issues in 2015...well no more than any other cut.

Not on the Ribble Link anyway. I bet you still deny you used your biggest mooring pin near Rufford ... ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Early in the year after they have dredged Savick Brook in the closed season.  If you keep an eye on the Winter Maintenance updates they usually say when and where they are doing it.

Not on the Ribble Link anyway. I bet you still deny you used your biggest mooring pin near Rufford ... ;)

One of the CRT guys on the link told us that the only dredger they have on the Lancaster is widebeam, and therefore they can only dredge Savick Brook above the first lock up, as the dredger will not fit down the lower part, and it’s that section that you will have an issue with depth, the rest is fine.

Do you need to declare Drought to CRT prior to booking passage? As I’m sure it states 27”

But many seem to done it with considerably more. Thanks for tip about earlier in the year, I was wondering why Savick brook wasn’t dredged more.

I haven’t even got what will be my first boat yet, and will need to gain a little savvy before attempting the Ribble. I intend using a marina in Scarisbrick or Rufford initially, and as the boat lies on the North Oxford at the moment, I’ll likely pick up a bit of experience on her maiden voyage!?

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

One of the CRT guys on the link told us that the only dredger they have on the Lancaster is widebeam, and therefore they can only dredge Savick Brook above the first lock up, as the dredger will not fit down the lower part, and it’s that section that you will have an issue with depth, the rest is fine.

They usually sub the whole job out to Land & Water who have loads of different kit and bring it with them when they start a job.