Would a 60 Narrowboat Be Able The: River Ure Navigation?

Vidar Jutul

Featured Posts

Hello There,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if a 60ft long narrowboat would be able to do the:

• River Ure Navigation (Including Ripon Canal)
  • Pocklington

ABNB (Boat Brokers) Recommends that a 58' 6" would be able to do it, but the locks are 58' long and around 14' 3" wide, so I'm not sure, but I would assume it would fit... If I put the boat in diagonally. If i'm wrong, please correct me.

Thanks, Vidar Jutul

2 hours ago, Vidar Jutul said:

Hello There,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if a 60ft long narrowboat would be able to do the:

• River Ure Navigation (Including Ripon Canal)
  • Pocklington

ABNB (Boat Brokers) Recommends that a 58' 6" would be able to do it, but the locks are 58' long and around 14' 3" wide, so I'm not sure, but I would assume it would fit... If I put the boat in diagonally. If i'm wrong, please correct me.

Thanks, Vidar Jutul

Hi just a quick word of advice. Ensure whatever feedback you get on this is from someone who has actualy done it with the size boat you state and not someone who knows a bloke etc etc. Its critical and many lock lengths around the country especialy oop norrff are bandied about and indeed published incorrectly. The one I always quote is Thorne lock which is variously quoted as being between 61 foot by 17 foot beam and elsewhere as something like 64 feet when the reality is a 70 foot narrowboat will pass through it JUST but will do it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi just a quick word of advice. Ensure whatever feedback you get on this is from someone who has actualy done it with the size boat you state and not someone who knows a bloke etc etc. Its critical and many lock lengths around the country especialy oop norrff are bandied about and indeed published incorrectly. The one I always quote is Thorne lock which is variously quoted as being between 61 foot by 17 foot beam and elsewhere as something like 64 feet when the reality is a 70 foot narrowboat will pass through it JUST but will do it.

Hello,

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in minds

Thanks, Vidar

• Greenie 1

Chris Clegg publishes a 'timemap' howing the cruising times from point to point on the canal system.  Not lock miles just total time point to point at an 'normal' speed.  He only piblishes for times for waterways he has done in his slightlyover 60ft boat.  His map includes Ripon.

He has also done the Calder and Hebble in her.

Locking is not straight-forwards and you will have to 'shuffle' the boat behind gates or lock on the diagonal, or both.  So great care needed with overhangs, cills etc.

We went to Ripon on a 57/58 foot NB and I seem to remember that although we got there and back, it was tight. We didn't share the locks with another boat and at times we were diagonal in the lock. 

Joe, when you did it and shared locks, what length was your boat? 

haggis

10 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Yes I've done it and shared the locks. Short but sweet. ?

Thankyou

3 minutes ago, Grebe said:

Chris Clegg publishes a 'timemap' howing the cruising times from point to point on the canal system.  Not lock miles just total time point to point at an 'normal' speed.  He only piblishes for times for waterways he has done in his slightlyover 60ft boat.  His map includes Ripon.

He has also done the Calder and Hebble in her.

Locking is not straight-forwards and you will have to 'shuffle' the boat behind gates or lock on the diagonal, or both.  So great care needed with overhangs, cills etc.

Who is Chris Clegg?

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

We went to Ripon on a 57/58 foot NB and I seem to remember that although we got there and back, it was tight. We didn't share the locks with another boat and at times we were diagonal in the lock. 

Joe, when you did it and shared locks, what length was your boat? 

haggis

I would guess that with fenders bow and stern i would have been over 61ft your honour. I don't remember taking the fenders off.  We went in company with another narrowboat from our marina which I think was 50ft.  It was summer 1998 mlud. I probably have photographic proof somewhere in hard copy format if necessary your lordship.  I'm jesting with you just to be clear honest.  ??

6 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I would guess that with fenders bow and stern i would have been over 61ft your honour. I don't remember taking the fenders off.  We went in company with another narrowboat from our marina which I think was 50ft.  It was summer 1998 mlud. I probably have photographic proof somewhere in hard copy format if necessary your lordship.  I'm jesting with you just to be clear honest.  ??

LOL. I only asked as you said "short but sweat" and I wondered if you had been to Ripon in a short or long boat ? . Well done in getting 61 feet up to Ripon!

haggis

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

LOL. I only asked as you said "short but sweat" and I wondered if you had been to Ripon in a short or long boat ? . Well done in getting 61 feet up to Ripon!

haggis

At 9 o'clock in the morning I know that if I start with the internet nowt gets done till dinnertime. Hence short but sweet. Besides I didn't think my answer would be relevant if I had done it in a 30ft boat.  ?. Then again when did that prevent posters from joining in.   Nudge Nudge Wink Wink ?.

Having been cross examined further by the missus i think I may have perjured myself your excellency. I stand by the date even though she dissagrees, but the accompanying boat was something like 57ft your worshipfullness. 

So much for short and sweet.  You plonker.  

25 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

At 9 o'clock in the morning I know that if I start with the internet nowt gets done till dinnertime. Hence short but sweet. Besides I didn't think my answer would be relevant if I had done it in a 30ft boat.  ?. Then again when did that prevent posters from joining in.   Nudge Nudge Wink Wink ?.

Having been cross examined further by the missus i think I may have perjured myself your excellency. I stand by the date even though she dissagrees, but the accompanying boat was something like 57ft your worshipfullness. 

So much for short and sweet.  You plonker.  

Hello there,

Did you happen do the River Ure Navigation as well?

Thanks, Vidar Jutul

Edited by Vidar Jutul

51 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

Wasn't '98 the year you set off to do the Trent & Mersey but only got to Shardlow, sampled all the pubs and came home?

• Haha 1

I was moored at Ripon for 7 years so saw quite a lot of comings and goings by various boats. I suggest you can get all the way in a 60ft boat but you may need to be single in a several of locks. We are 57' and tried unsuccessfully to go up through Rhodesfield lock with another similar size boat. Having said that Jim McDonald in Elizabeth 63ft managed to get as far as below Rhodesfield. I helped him for awhile but was just inches away from getting through and up to the basin. Be very careful descending Westwick lock there's a very small outcrop below the angular cill which can catch you out in low water.

Edited by Midnight

I can’t say if you will physically fit or not, but summer 2018 we went up to Ripon.  Our boat is 50ft so no problem, but coming back down we shared locks with a 57ft boat.  The top gates on the locks leak really badly and you will not be able to avoid the bow or stern being under the torrent of water, so make certain that you prepare for that.  The boat we were with got 18in of water in ther engine bay in one lock, and even at 50 ft I was getting rather wet.

Edited by john6767

3 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I was moored at Ripon for 7 years so saw quite a lot of comings and goings by various boats. I suggest you can get all the way in a 60ft boat but you may need to be single in a several of locks. We are 57' and tried unsuccessfully to go up through Rhodesfield lock with another similar size boat. Having said that Jim McDonald in Elizabeth 63ft managed to get as far as below Rhodesfield. I helped him for awhile but was just inches away from getting through and up to the basin. Be very careful descending Westwick lock there's a very small outcrop below the angular cill which can catch you out in low water.

Okay, thankyou very much

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I can’t say it you will physically fit or not, but summer 2018 we went up to Ripon.  Our boat is 50ft so no problem, but coming back down we shared locks with a 57ft boat.  The top gates on the locks leak really badly and you will not be able to avoid the bow or stern being under the torrent of water, so make certain that you prepare for that.  The boat we were with got 18in of water in ther engine bay in one lock, and even at 50 ft I was getting rather wet.

Mine has got a Classic engine, so I don't think water will get in the engine room, but it might get in the boatmans cabin

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I know a bloke that did Ripon in a 60ft boat.......???

But as you want hear that I wont mention it.

Which guide did he use, is the Pearson's worth purchasing at £9.99, free postage I might be heading that way, later rather than sooner as I am waiting for a fridge ?to ✈️in from China.

Edited by LadyG

My 63ft narrowboat didn't quite fit into Linton Lock on the Ure. No idea if it would have done with some fender removing and shuffling, but due to time constraints had to turn round to head back to York and didn't want to risk getting stuck there. 

The bit you've been advised to ignore:

The bloke I was travelling with up to this point in his 60ft x 12ft Dutch barge got through without any real issues and later informed me he made it to Ripon and back without destroying his boat or any locks. 

2 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

My 63ft narrowboat didn't quite fit into Linton Lock on the Ure. No idea if it would have done with some fender removing and shuffling, but due to time constraints had to turn round to head back to York and didn't want to risk getting stuck there. 

The bit you've been advised to ignore:

The bloke I was travelling with up to this point in his 60ft x 12ft Dutch barge got through without any real issues and later informed me he made it to Ripon and back without destroying his boat or any locks. 

Okay, thats very helpful, thankyou

I'm going to head up to Ripon next month, what are the visitor moorings like? I passed by briefly on the weekend as I went for a ride out there to have a look but actually didn't see any boats there at all, other than what looked like an untied trip boat floating around in the middle at the top end.

5 minutes ago, Vidar Jutul said:

Okay, thats very helpful, thankyou

Welcome, good luck! I hope to try it again at some point when I'm up that way, so hopefully I'm not wedged in there when you need it. 

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Which guide did he use, is the Pearson's worth purchasing at £9.99, free postage I might be heading that way, later rather than sooner as I am waiting for a fridge ?to ✈️in from China.

He didn't use a guide I don't think.

He just called upon his considerable experience.

5 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Welcome, good luck! I hope to try it again at some point when I'm up that way, so hopefully I'm not wedged in there when you need it. 

I'm planning as soon as the whole of Covid 19 is over, hopefully I'm not wedged when you need it

18 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I'm going to head up to Ripon next month, what are the visitor moorings like? I passed by briefly on the weekend as I went for a ride out there to have a look but actually didn't see any boats there at all, other than what looked like an untied trip boat floating around in the middle at the top end.

There are limited (2 days) moorings for about four 57ft-ish narrowboats in the basin but if people take more space than they need there's less. There's also one mooring for a longer boat or two mooring for shorter boats at the sanitary station just before the bypass bridge. There's a mooring just above Rhodesfield lock on the towpath side and a long pound with a good bank below but boats rarely moored there when I was moored in the marina. If you don't mind a bit f a walk there's also a wooden mooring stage on the towpath side just after the boat club heading towards Ripon. I don't think you will have any problems. We re-visited Ripon last year and had no issues at all. If it's your first time on the Ouse you may wish to check this forum for advice on the tidal trip up from Selby to Naburn.