Drinking cut water

RufusR

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Squires said:

I'm no expert on this (and may other) subject, I did a Bush craft training weekend a few years ago with our foster lad and we were told that an evaporation - condensation setup is the most effective method of obtaining drinking water. The Navy has similar setup on its older ships, it is a very bulky piece of kit but to scale they are providing fresh water for the drinking, bathing, cooking etc for a few hundred people. Would a scaled down version work?

I believe Navies have a monster gas turbine engine, or a nuclear reactor on board to provide power for evaporation/condensation fresh water manufacture. Had a look at the Beta Marine web site and they don't make a marinised nuclear reactor for a narrow boat yet.

AFAIK, apart from the Submarine fleet, the RN has gone over to RO plants for the production of fresh water.  Steam needs good quality fresh water as boiler feed, (up to a5 Tons per boiler per day) and there is plenty of waste heat to drive evaps.  There is little need for high quality water in a diesel or GT powered all electric war canoe, and the prime movers are spread out around the ship  so RO is a much better answer than an evap. Drinking water does need to be UV sterilised, and membrane life was an early issue.q

As with the evap though  you need to be careful where you are producing water.  Mid Atlantic is fine, Karachi harbour, or Plymouth Sound perhaps not such a good place.

N

The ships I was on were all steam turbine and the evaporation pots were also powered by steam. 

We had grills that the divers fitted if we were due to enter waters that were known to have exceptional amounts of debris, they were actually known as Karachi filters and the in-line filters were being emptied 2 or even 3 times a day when we visited Karachi. Good job they were paired so you could switch from one to the other for servicing 

34 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Just go ahead and trample on my dreams...

Not nuclear fission, but I've said it before. A radioisotope thermoelectric generator would be ideal for a narrowboat. Electricity for keeping the batteries topped up and heat for keeping the cabin cosy in winter. 24 hours a day, year round.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Not nuclear fission, but I've said it before. A radioisotope thermoelectric generator would be ideal for a narrowboat. Electricity for keeping the batteries topped up and heat for keeping the cabin cosy in winter. 24 hours a day, year round.

Yes, yes, yes- I'm sure your thermoelectric thing is very nice (although the name does have a rather dangerous ring to it)- but I can only get excited when Midland Chandlers start selling them. WITH an installation kit for a canaline 38. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

AND... in a choice of fashionable colours?

Well, duh... Of course the colour has to match my saloon walls, or else I'm not ditching my current electrical generation system based on two dozen hamsters running inside a large cage wheel. 

But it also has to match the lead lined underpants, if you want to accessorize.

15 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And a nice green glow to help you navigate at night... 🤣😂

On 28/05/2020 at 19:00, bizzard said:

Guinness is brewed using water from the Grand canal in Dublin, next to which the brewery stands.

Not quite. The grand canal is about 1/2 mile south of the brewery, it’s the Liffey that is adjacent. And while the water does come from the Liffey basin, it’s pumped down from a cleaner source in the Wicklow mountains.

11 hours ago, droshky said:

Not quite. The grand canal is about 1/2 mile south of the brewery, it’s the Liffey that is adjacent. And while the water does come from the Liffey basin, it’s pumped down from a cleaner source in the Wicklow mountains.

Ah, thanks for that.