First boat search: Tantalus

Tasemu

Featured Posts

Hello, me again. Been continuing my search for my first boat the for the last few weeks and came across this one: https://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/tantalus/

Not sure if i'm spamming this section with these threads, please advise if this is bad behaviour and i'll stop, but i really enjoy reading the feedback from you all here.

This boat i think fixes some of the issues people had with the boat on my last thread, however it also has an alde gas boiler for water and radiators, this feels like it would be a bad heating option to me.

Cheers as always!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Hello, me again. Been continuing my search for my first boat the for the last few weeks and came across this one: https://www.abcboatsales.com/boat-sales/tantalus/

Not sure if i'm spamming this section with these threads, please advise if this is bad behaviour and i'll stop, but i really enjoy reading the feedback from you all here.

This boat i think fixes some of the issues people had with the boat on my last thread, however it also has an alde gas boiler for water and radiators, this feels like it would be a bad heating option to me.

Cheers as always!

It has the same set up as my boat.  Alde + solid fuel stove.  I'm really happy with this arrangement.

The vast majority of my heating comes from the stove.  But the Alde is a really handy back up if the stove breaks.  Unlike diesel central heating systems, it's virtually silent.  The often mentioned downside is that it's expensive to run.  That's sort of true but the difference isn't that much.  If I run my Alde all the time in winter for heating, a 13kg bottle will last me about 5 days.  If you shop around you can buy a replacement bottle for about £25-£30, which is only a little more than 2 bags of coal which will also last me about 5 days.  The issue isn't really price then, it's storage.  I can easily store 20+ bags of coal on my boat roof.  I have nowhere to store 10 13kg calor gas cylinders.  That's why I only use it for a back up for heating.

The other really handy thing with the Alde is that I can turn off the radiators and just heat water with it.  I can get it hot enough for a decent shower in about 30 minutes.  This is usually a far better option than running the engine as it makes no noise or vbration, so I can heat my water early morning before work.  A stove with a back boiler is also handy but it won't help at all in summer, and they can be tricky things to make work well.

You can still run the engine for hot water if you want, and you get the bonus of a bit of battery charging too.

Check whether the calorifier also has an immersion.  They usually do.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

It has the same set up as my boat.  Alde + solid fuel stove.  I'm really happy with this arrangement.

The vast majority of my heating comes from the stove.  But the Alde is a really handy back up if the stove breaks.  Unlike diesel central heating systems, it's virtually silent.  The often mentioned downside is that it's expensive to run.  That's sort of true but the difference isn't that much.  If I run my Alde all the time in winter for heating, a 13kg bottle will last me about 5 days.  If you shop around you can buy a replacement bottle for about £25-£30, which is only a little more than 2 bags of coal which will also last me about 5 days.  The issue isn't really price then, it's storage.  I can easily store 20+ bags of coal on my boat roof.  I have nowhere to store 10 13kg calor gas cylinders.  That's why I only use it for a back up for heating.

The other really handy thing with the Alde is that I can turn off the radiators and just heat water with it.  I can get it hot enough for a decent shower in about 30 minutes.  This is usually a far better option than running the engine as it makes no noise or vbration, so I can heat my water early morning before work.  A stove with a back boiler is also handy but it won't help at all in summer, and they can be tricky things to make work well.

You can still run the engine for hot water if you want, and you get the bonus of a bit of battery charging too.

Check whether the calorifier also has an immersion.  They usually do.

Awesome thanks! Any other general thoughts on it?

26 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looks like it needs a damn good clean!!!

This always amazes me. The photos are the window through which potential buyers "look" to decide whether t go any further. Why would you not prepare the boat to the highest standard for the photos?

5 minutes ago, Sbg said:

This always amazes me. The photos are the window through which potential buyers "look" to decide whether t go any further. Why would you not prepare the boat to the highest standard for the photos?

Truth in advertising ... :D

That aside, MrsBiscuit says "That's a galley designed by a bloke who doesn't cook."

I have a similar galley currently, but with a touch more bench space, and it does my nut in. There's nowhere to chop, nowhere to put pans other than on the stove, nowhere to do anything that leads up to food being cooked - only space to do the actual cooking. It's a nightmare.

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

I have a similar galley currently, but with a touch more bench space, and it does my nut in. There's nowhere to chop, nowhere to put pans other than on the stove, nowhere to do anything that leads up to food being cooked - only space to do the actual cooking. It's a nightmare.

I was considering getting fold up benches so i could cordon off the galley in the event i needed to do more cutting. Dunno if that sounds ridiculous though. 

I have a fold-out bench extension, but it still doesn't leave much space and it also leaves you ducking under it constantly to get to the saloon, if you're cooking something a bit longer or more involved.

That said, both my boats have had a fold-out bench and I think they're brilliant.

27 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

I was considering getting fold up benches so i could cordon off the galley in the event i needed to do more cutting. Dunno if that sounds ridiculous though. 

Many years ago we had a 30ft NB with a tiny kitchen - the workspace was increased by the use of a fold-up-flap.

Lift the flap, open the cutlery drawer, lower flap onto the open drawer.

IMG_20130912_122412.jpg

18 hours ago, Tasemu said:

Cheers as always!

Perhaps continuing your previous thread would be better than starting a new thread each time you find another boat you want to discuss?

From a space saving perspective I understand why so many narrowboats have the stove at the bow and of the cabin, but from a heat distribution perspective it's in the wrong place.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many years ago we had a 30ft NB with a tiny kitchen - the workspace was increased by the use of a fold-up-flap.

Lift the flap, open the cutlery drawer, lower flap onto the open drawer.

IMG_20130912_122412.jpg

File under (to borrow a phrase from numerous boatimag reviews) clever use of space. No doubt you soon learned to take all necessary irons out of the drawer before starting to get the meal ready.

In the photograph of the kitchen there does seem to be a folding work surface on the wall next to the fridge and also one above the cupboard on the opposite side of the boat near the kitchen.

Obviously depends on your use of the boat as to how much use the kitchen will get but it is a 45 foot boat so space is limited, compromise is always going to be necessary. 

I also can't understand why some people do not prepare their boats for sale, I spent weeks cleaning the boat inside and out and doing every one of those little jobs that I'd put off before I put our boat on the market. Looking for the replacement on one boat the owner had not even removed their clothing and possessions from the cupboards.

I asked on one of your previous posts but again do you have a mooring on the K&A because if not I'd sort that out before buying the boat.

On 27/05/2020 at 11:48, KenK said:

In the photograph of the kitchen there does seem to be a folding work surface on the wall next to the fridge and also one above the cupboard on the opposite side of the boat near the kitchen.

Obviously depends on your use of the boat as to how much use the kitchen will get but it is a 45 foot boat so space is limited, compromise is always going to be necessary. 

I also can't understand why some people do not prepare their boats for sale, I spent weeks cleaning the boat inside and out and doing every one of those little jobs that I'd put off before I put our boat on the market. Looking for the replacement on one boat the owner had not even removed their clothing and possessions from the cupboards.

I asked on one of your previous posts but again do you have a mooring on the K&A because if not I'd sort that out before buying the boat.

Sorry I didn't notice on the previous thread. I've been CCing on the K&A for over a year now and aim to continue. :)

36 minutes ago, KenK said:

Now I'm confused, if you are looking for your first boat how have you been CCing for a year?

In addition if you have been living aboard for a year you must have a good idea what works for you.

I'm not trying to do a sneaky or anything here lol... I've been on someone elses boat. I have an idea of what I want yes, but know there is a lot of great advice to gain here which I'm hoping to use to avoid the myriad of pitfalls I don't know about yet. :)

To be honest IMHO in that price range there is a lot about and you can probably do better - IF she has been cleaned up for pictures/sale she wasn't great when they took her on! Perhaps that will reflect in her maintenance as well.

Have you tried looking for ex hire?

There will be a number of older boaters who were intending this to be their last season and have decided to sell early because of the restrictions - that's the sort of boat you want - again IMHO never buy a boat that doesn't look "loved" rather than "lived in"

ALSO don't just reply on the duck - lots of yards don't use it so do

ferret about on specific yards sites

Braunston (worth a look now?)

Weltonfield

Limekiln (Tilly?) etc etc 

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1