Someone untied my ropes

LadyG

Featured Posts

On 27/05/2020 at 10:35, Naughty Cal said:

So a load of bollix about nothing then?

As usual

On 27/05/2020 at 16:31, TheBiscuits said:

Was it Old Bill that untied the knot?  This is getting less and less like an episode of Poirot every minute ...

Maybe the Marina owner dropping a hint as June 1st is approaching?

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is actually the 1965 BW Bye-Laws :

BRITISH WATERWAYS BOARD
BYE-LAWS
British Transport Commission Act, 1954.

Moorings not to be cut, etc.
37. No person shall turn any vessel adrift upon any canal or shall
unnecessarily cast off, cut loose, or interfere with any mooring or
rope or fastening of any vessel.

So it turns on the word "unnecesarily". If the situation involved another boat having to untie then retie the OP's boat for a sensible reason, then all is well.

But the title of the OP "someone untied my ropes" is a little misleading. Perhaps the title should be "someone untied my ropes and didn't retie them in the same way but my boat is safe so there's nothing to worry about"?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite surprised that there has not been more untying of ropes on the Goole visitor moorings now that restrictions on moving have been relaxed.  It still has the same boats there that have been resident for months and some have been there for almost a year.   I would say that 80% of the visitor moorings are taken by overstayers/continuous moorers.

Perhaps some rules and laws are only for others. Outraged by the acts of other boaters while finding reasons they themselves don't need to comply, or adhere to.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

I am quite surprised that there has not been more untying of ropes on the Goole visitor moorings now that restrictions on moving have been relaxed.  It still has the same boats there that have been resident for months and some have been there for almost a year.   I would say that 80% of the visitor moorings are taken by overstayers/continuous moorers.

Perhaps some rules and laws are only for others. Outraged by the acts of other boaters while finding reasons they themselves don't need to comply, or adhere to.

What, no Comings and Goings?

So what happened to talk8ng to people...if we were ever in the situation of sharing  a bollard we would make contact and ask their plans.... ok you off before Pop Master then just make us safe and we will sort out later..xx

The etiquette of sharing a bollard, as I understand it, is that you tie below the boat already there. Sometimes though, you can find that there is a combination of winds and hitches that take up the whole height which makes things less straightforward. The way in which some people tie up is so complex to defy logic, and if one has to retie, you stand no chance of replicating it.

Bollard sharing is a total no-no to some, who expect their 'country garden' even in busy visitor moorings, and of course you get the middle of gap thoughtless people, and then you get the 'git gap' exponents who know exactly what they are doing.

• Greenie 1

The gitty gappers annoy me, especially when I can't get in to the pub!

I think we should re-discover an old canal custom that boats would be moved a few feet either way (and securely re-tied) in the name of neatness, efficiency and shorter walks back home.

8 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

The way in which some people tie up is so complex to defy logic, and if one has to retie, you stand no chance of replicating it.

And, perhaps more importantly, if they have to untie it in an emergency...  :help:

2 hours ago, Morat said:

I think we should re-discover an old canal custom that boats would be moved a few feet either way (and securely re-tied) in the name of neatness, efficiency and shorter walks back home.

Or just raft up.

2 hours ago, Morat said:

I'm all for sensible mooring normally - but in light of the current pandemic, can we maybe leave this idea alone for a few more months?

• Unimpressed 1

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Or just raft up.

Not always practical on the cut, but shuffling up a bit usually is.  If we are to get everyone to accept that they need to consider others when they moor and be accepting of moving up or rafting up (whether they are there or not), CRT need to promote it as standard practice - just as it is amongst yachties.  Without that effort from the Navigation Authority, some folk will always see it as an affront.  Mind you, it would be handy if everyone could tie up effectively!  :D

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

I'm all for sensible mooring normally - but in light of the current pandemic, can we maybe leave this idea alone for a few more months?

I am sure that two boats moored to one ring the owners could stay 2 meters apart, I don't think boats catch the virus and have to stay apart

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

Why?

There are very few boats where there would not be 2m+ clearance between people on the back of one and the front of the other if they were moored sharing a ring or bollard.

If you want or need more distance, don't leave a git gap on a visitor mooring; just go and pin to the bank a few hundred yards further along.

• Greenie 2

I'm sure they could, but I anticipate that there are probably a reasonable number of nervous people aboard who have been self-isolating for the past two months and might not appreciate being moved closer to people, or having their mooring lines handled by persons with potentialy questionable personal hygiene, or...

It seems like a good way to start an entirely preventable argument.

• Unimpressed 1