Someone untied my ropes

LadyG

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In which case I loop the eye over my on-board cleat, take the line around the shore bollard then back onto the boat and tie it off on the cleat.

An eye-spice on one end and a back-splice on the other end and all options are catered for.

But most canal boats have one end of their mooring lines permanently tied off, and don't want the faff of swapping them around, possibly multiple times a day.  And an eye-splice on the free end when moving through locks is more likely to catch on something.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

But most canal boats have one end of their mooring lines permanently tied off, and don't want the faff of swapping them around, possibly multiple times a day.  And an eye-splice on the free end when moving through locks is more likely to catch on something.

Do they really ?

That sounds a dangerous practice - what happens when the coil 'falls off' ?

Do they coil them up and hang them on the tiller or drop it into the well deck ?

• Horror 1

32 minutes ago, Cheese said:

But it doesn't matter if it catches anything, you just let go of it. If its attached to your boat and it catches on something then you hang up

7 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Which particular piece of legislation applies here?

I seem to think a Sgt MacIntosh of Strathclyde Police told our skipper, after our yacht was cast adrift from a  mooring bouy , at 1.00 am, there was a helluva rumpus, it was all witnessed by the RN as the submarine exercises were taking place. Their support ships had  radar and night vision. Someone called the Lifeboat,  one guy fell in while carryng a kedge, an interesting experience, but somewhat disorienting.

Edited by LadyG

25 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I seem to think a Sgt MacIntosh of Strathclyde Police told our skipper, after our yacht was cast adrift from a  mooring bouy , at 1.00 am, there was a helluva rumpus, it was all witnessed by the RN as the submarine exercises were taking place. Their support ships had  radar and night vision. Someone called the Lifeboat,  one guy fell in while carryng a kedge, an interesting experience, but somewhat disorienting.

Set adrift, not retied with a different knot then

There are some people who shouldn't be using ropes at all if they moor within say 100 metres of anyone else.  A padlock and chain would be a more appropriate set-up.  What am I saying? ?.  Even i who never upsets anyone (?)  has one of them lockable plastic covered cables about 5 metres long for when mooring somewhere dodgy.

Also, if I moor on say a diesel point outside a marine, or even adjacent to it for a couple of days,  I would fully expect lines to be occasionally disturbed.

• Happy 1

On 25/05/2020 at 23:30, LadyG said:

Obviously it is a criminal offence to interfere with mooring ropes.

It may not be obvious to everybody, particularly if we substitute the less emotive "adjust" for "interfere with".

I believe that technically it is an offence against the Merchant Shipping Act (which is loosely written enough that it  would still apply even though clearly we are not talking about merchant shipping) to untie a vessel without authorisation. However I couldn't quote chapter and verse, nor do I have a link to it.

Edited by Keeping Up
Clarification

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

I believe that technically it is an offence against the Merchant Shipping Act (which is loosely written enough that it  would still apply even though clearly we are not talking about merchant shipping) to untie a vessel without authorisation. However I couldn't quote chapter and verse, nor do I have a link to it.

That's the one, circa 1880, I think.

PS, I was stimulating intersting threads not accusing neighbours of cutting my ropes. I puzzled about it for a while, as I knew it was not I who untied the bowline, and then used a round turn and half hitch which later came undone, the only explanation is that he did not know how to tie a bowline, though why he had to undo the existing one is a bit of a mystery.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

It may not be obvious to everybody, particularly if we substitute the less emotive "adjust" for "interfere with".

Yes, I should be clearer, if you are going to adjust someone elses's mooring lines, don't leave the boat less secure than it was, it was not done deliberately.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, Joe Bourke said:

There are some people who shouldn't be using ropes at all if they moor within say 100 metres of anyone else.  A padlock and chain would be a more appropriate set-up.  What am I saying? ?.  Even i who never upsets anyone (?)  has one of them lockable plastic covered cables about 5 metres long for when mooring somewhere dodgy.

Also, if I moor on say a diesel point outside a marine, or even adjacent to it for a couple of days,  I would fully expect lines to be occasionally disturbed.

If you are told to moor on the diesel mooring on the advice of the marina owner/CRT, then that is exactly what you would do rather that risk pulling up pins in a F5 or when a big vessel passes by. To be honest, I would want to be 100% secure on any commercial waterway, no point in crossing fingers and toes.

I do have a wire rope for securing stuff on roof , or mooring if leaving boat unatended in a dodgy area, and some fat padlocks for the Gas/anchor locks.

I don't mind mooring lines beng disturbed, for whatever reason, if people are going to do that, please don't leave the boat insecure! That is  the point!

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Criminal offence? Which law is that then?

Just sayin'?  I think you mean just talking bollox again.

Well, perhaps, splash of hyperbole, is that not allowed on here ? 

Maybe I should post elesewhere, as they tend to be a bit more accepting, woof YAP woof  [imitating a Transylvanian dog fox in January]

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If you are told to moor on the diesel mooring on the advice of the marina owner/CRT, then that is exactly what you would do rather that risk pulling up pins in a F5 or when a big vessel passes by. To be honest, I would want to be 100% secure on any commercial waterway, no point in crossing fingers and toes.

I do have a wire rope for securing stuff on roof , or mooring if leaving boat unatended in a dodgy area, and some fat padlocks for the Gas/anchor locks.

I don't mind mooring lines beng disturbed, for whatever reason, if people are going to do that, please don't leave the boat insecure! That is  the point!

It wasn't insecure at the point they left it!!

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm sure the Royal Navy will be on a submarine in Yorkshire waiting for the boat to come adrift ???

Not Royal Navy but was standing by in Leeds Dock, next to the Armouries Museum waiting for the call!

Howard

DSCF1579.JPG

24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It wasn't insecure at the point they left it!!

well, that's a moot point ...... yes, i see your point ?

I look on my springs as a sort of "dampening" factor, so that the main bow and stern lines don't get the full force of the wind in gusty conditions. 

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

...I don't mind mooring lines beng disturbed, for whatever reason, if people are going to do that, please don't leave the boat insecure! That is  the point!

But from what you have said, you don't know if it is one person involved, who both untied and then retied your line; or one person leaving it adrift and a second securing it to the best of their ability - who should be applauded, not castigated.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That thing deserved sinking, with the pratt onboard!

You don't like quirkyness?

I can just see the commander staning in the conning tower with a nice "Kiss me Quick" style naval admiral's cap.