Hatton windlass anyone hurd of them

Jrtm

Featured Posts

The only solution to make the Hatton style of penstocks is a lightweight battery powered lock key.

Those poo works sluice gear must have been designed by a drawing office bod trying to make his name or a manager (by definition) knew nothing.

My Management refuses to allow me/us  to go via the GU to nicer places...

Top paddle gear. Not heavy (except the really big buggers at Knowle, and 'er outside can still manage them).  No more turns than a Grand Junction bottom gate paddle  but much bigger paddles, a really well designed flow into the chamber, and designed to be let fall.  What more could you want?

N

• Greenie 1

I'm not casting nasturtiums on this vendor nor their product.

The combining of the words "windlass" with "aluminium" remind me of something I once saw in the mid 60s.

My Father moored his boat up the arm at Brinklow, with Maid Line.

The Maid Line on site Manager, a bloke by the name of Haslam (Charlie?) was a short geezer whom I suspect had been a decent engineer which had got him the job.  However nobody had considered people skills as being an important part of his role.  As a result, at times he could be a tad brusque when communicating to/at his own workers, customers, moorers, general public walking the towpath. 

Anyhoo, one day on display in the window of the office (54 years on and it still is the office) was an aluminium lock key in the shape of a pretzel.  It lay on top of a scratty piece of paper which was a handwritten note, it proclaimed something like.

"Pay attention Maid Line hirers,

if you lose one of our lock keys, you pay us on your return. 

Do not buy one of these from xyz Line at ******** and

expect us not to notice.  You'll still be charged

cos they're rubbish."

I've hurt of the locks been up and down them enough I was referring to the windlass. Or are they just made but dunton but specifically for the hatton flight.

I always find ally windlass for these style of locks useless as you can't just hit the retainer off you have to put the windlass back on and wind up a tad to release as they just dent the ally. Steel you can just wack and walk