Fuel filler sealant

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Nor mine.

Is this the type of filler?   PU18 then.

They are terrible bits of kit, built in water entry point. The upstand threaded type in steel with a steel threaded cap are far better innitt.

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They are terrible bits of kit, built in water entry point. The upstand threaded type in steel with a steel threaded cap are far better innitt.

When I went to buy a new gasket for mine (they swell up with diesel and go soft) my local chandler recommended an O-ring.  Works a treat - no leaks and lasts for years.

6 minutes ago, dor said:

When I went to buy a new gasket for mine (they swell up with diesel and go soft) my local chandler recommended an O-ring.  Works a treat - no leaks and lasts for years.

Deffo O rings are better. They have two problems though. they leak after a time were they are mated up against the hull and indeed through the filler hole. The steel upright ones dont look as pretty but do a better maintenance free job. Ive had both types and whilst I dont buy a boat with the filler type in mind I am always pleased when its the steel threaded upright type ?

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Probably looks for a stainless steel flange of the opposite sex (although, you never know !)

Flanges normally mate face to face not by insertion.  A gasket is normally all thats needed between the faces