A real long shot! (edited)

paulweller84

Featured Posts

Not the A406 aqueduct island was it?

Aqueduct-over-the-A406.jpg

First time I saw this I waited for ages thinking it was a pusher tug with pan in front coming towards me stubbornly staying in the centre of the channel . 

(Not my photo I stole it from the web)

Edited by magnetman

Right from the start the description of the building but not the location put me in mind of the Sainsburys opposite Kensal Greene cemetery but that has windows as well as open vents on the canal side.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5266533,-0.2166583,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipPnVcBnLlAKPFgQa_UJRfPfUSHdcyzx_i57Gskl!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPnVcBnLlAKPFgQa_UJRfPfUSHdcyzx_i57Gskl%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi4.4312353-ya148.60959-ro9.527716-fo100!7i5376!8i2688

On 24/05/2020 at 21:04, paulweller84 said:

Hi all,

Just signed up to this forum as I have a burning question that I can't find an answer to anywhere else and I think this is my best chance. It's a very random question too!

A while ago I was looking for something in Google Maps (I believe I was somewhere around London) and stumbled across an unusual place by a canal. The area was relatively open, maybe a park/recreation area. There was a really unusual, very angular structure alongside the canal, made entirely of brick, and I seem to remember there being steps in the structure. I looked at it for a while as I couldn't understand what it was exactly. It didn't look like any building I've seen before and didn't appear to have much of a purpose. It reminded me in some ways of the styling of the Barbican Centre in London without the concrete. 

I really want to find this place again but have nothing to go on, and my hope is due to the proximity to a canal one of the members here might know what I'm talking about!

Like I said, a real long shot

Hope someone can help

Paul

EDIT: Most suggestions are aiming too close to the middle of London. When I say 'around London' I mean around the edges somewhere. It was in a quite open area. Just to give you an example, I've been looking around the Enfield area around the reservoirs, that sort of place. Not necessarily there, but that sort of place. Thanks for the suggestions so far

Try to go and search your Google map history.

spent half an hour yesterday on google map... :)

think this should be a regular(weekly) thing, boaters describe(or post a pic) a place near canal and everybody else are supposed to guess the location...

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

spent half an hour yesterday on google map... :)

think this should be a regular(weekly) thing, boaters describe(or post a pic) a place near canal and everybody else are supposed to guess the location...

Yes, why not. Here's a rather easier one.

It's white, unnervingly large, has a long neck, beady brown eyes, a big beezer and is excessively bad-tempered.

(Clue: it's not a forum member).

Edited by Athy

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's white, unnervingly large, has a long neck, a big beezer and is excessively bad-tempered.

Don't you talk about my boat's mother like that!

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's white, unnervingly large, has a long neck, a big black beezer and is excessively bad-tempered.

black necked swan? canada goose? daddy long neck?

What-is-Wrong-with-Daddy-Long-Neck.jpg

Edited by restlessnomad

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

black necked swan? canada goose? daddy long neck?

What-is-Wrong-with-Daddy-Long-Neck.jpg

I know the answer but I'm keeping mute.

Is that one of the Bee Gees when young?

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Do you think it was East of london?

River Lee or River Stort?

My memory of location is very hazy. Could be east or north. 

57 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Try to go and search your Google map history.

I tried that. Because it was a while ago it wasn’t there. 

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

I know the answer but I'm keeping mute.

Is that one of the Bee Gees when young?

close...

6 minutes ago, paulweller84 said:

My memory of location is very hazy. Could be east or north. 

I tried that. Because it was a while ago it wasn’t there. 

do you remember any tube station near by?

10 minutes ago, paulweller84 said:

This would only show my searches, and the place in question was found by mindlessly scrolling around. I'll take a look and see if anything jogs my memory and gives me a starting point though. Thanks

Can I ask, what is the reason for wanting to see it again ?

1 minute ago, paulweller84 said:

No reason in particular. I remembered it a few days ago and started looking, now it’s just sheer curiosity and frustration keeping me on this task!

I know the feeling!

The east end of London (Lea and Stort Valley) with it's tangle of waterways does have a lot of weird buildings.

Edited by mark99

FOUND!

The location is in Old Nazeing Road, Broxbourne.

It's not quite as remote as I recalled. I am still struggling to find info on what it is exactly, although it looks like part of it behind may have been some form of defensive structure at one time. Doesn't appear to be much point to it, apart from forming part of a leisure area so could be used for picnics etc. It did in fact have some doors lower down, shuttered and overall is about two storeys high.

https://goo.gl/maps/4k3t6WyTqAMKJVpo8

7 minutes ago, paulweller84 said:

FOUND!

The location is in Old Nazeing Road, Broxbourne.

It's not quite as remote as I recalled. I am still struggling to find info on what it is exactly, although it looks like part of it behind may have been some form of defensive structure at one time. Doesn't appear to be much point to it, apart from forming part of a leisure area so could be used for picnics etc. It did in fact have some doors lower down, shuttered and overall is about two storeys high.

https://goo.gl/maps/4k3t6WyTqAMKJVpo8

Broxbourne castle

32 minutes ago, paulweller84 said:

Looks like there was a building there back in 2006, subsequently demolished.

Untitled.png

When my family was small we had some good times at the Broxbourne Lido.  The wave machine was good.

Ed. They didn't need to knock it down just because I left the area.

Edited by system 4-50