A real long shot! (edited)

paulweller84

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just signed up to this forum as I have a burning question that I can't find an answer to anywhere else and I think this is my best chance. It's a very random question too!

A while ago I was looking for something in Google Maps (I believe I was somewhere around London) and stumbled across an unusual place by a canal. The area was relatively open, maybe a park/recreation area. There was a really unusual, very angular structure alongside the canal, made entirely of brick, and I seem to remember there being steps in the structure. I looked at it for a while as I couldn't understand what it was exactly. It didn't look like any building I've seen before and didn't appear to have much of a purpose. It reminded me in some ways of the styling of the Barbican Centre in London without the concrete. 

I really want to find this place again but have nothing to go on, and my hope is due to the proximity to a canal one of the members here might know what I'm talking about!

Like I said, a real long shot

Hope someone can help

Paul

EDIT: Most suggestions are aiming too close to the middle of London. When I say 'around London' I mean around the edges somewhere. It was in a quite open area. Just to give you an example, I've been looking around the Enfield area around the reservoirs, that sort of place. Not necessarily there, but that sort of place. Thanks for the suggestions so far

Edited by paulweller84

1 minute ago, Tacet said:

This could take a while - but let's try the Pirate Castle at Camden

image.jpeg.32ae159c710de3518ad0c707997f7d84.jpeg

Too built up. Think open space. 

Thanks for your reply

3 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Was it near Uxbridge?

Or Paddington Basin?

Nowhere around Uxbridge as I know that bit quite well.

And Paddington too built up.

It was quite an open space. Like fields all around

Thanks

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

It could be this play park on the City Mill River on the Olympic Park.

city mill river.png

It’s good but it’s not right.

Much more remote than this. Outside of London, towards the M25 or even beyond.

And a taller structure. At least one storey high. 

2 hours ago, paulweller84 said:

Hi all,

Just signed up to this forum as I have a burning question that I can't find an answer to anywhere else and I think this is my best chance. It's a very random question too!

A while ago I was looking for something in Google Maps (I believe I was somewhere around London) and stumbled across an unusual place by a canal. The area was relatively open, maybe a park/recreation area. There was a really unusual, very angular structure alongside the canal, made entirely of brick, and I seem to remember there being steps in the structure. I looked at it for a while as I couldn't understand what it was exactly. It didn't look like any building I've seen before and didn't appear to have much of a purpose. It reminded me in some ways of the styling of the Barbican Centre in London without the concrete. 

I really want to find this place again but have nothing to go on, and my hope is due to the proximity to a canal one of the members here might know what I'm talking about!

Like I said, a real long shot

Hope someone can help

Paul

EDIT: Most suggestions are aiming too close to the middle of London. When I say 'around London' I mean around the edges somewhere. It was in a quite open area. Just to give you an example, I've been looking around the Enfield area around the reservoirs, that sort of place. Not necessarily there, but that sort of place. Thanks for the suggestions so far

why dont you draw whatever you remember, and upload here.

10 hours ago, paulweller84 said:

Was in inhabited like an office?

Or an industrial structure?

Derelict?

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Was in inhabited like an office?

Or an industrial structure?

From what I could tell it was neither really. That’s what made it so intriguing. No windows, no doors. Just a random mix of walls and angles, possibly some steps and walkways. It didn’t really seem to have much of a purpose.

One of the wartime pumping stations?

(We don't cruise the GU anymore - too full of moored boats, Thus I can't go and take a photo...

Please sir, please sir, I know -

A 'pill box' - a WW2 gun enplacement.

A bout a  storey high, now windows (just a slit for a machine gun. These are several on the Oxford, sitting sadly in a field or sometimes almost falling into the canal.

Edited by OldGoat

Here we go -

tnf463 - Norfolk Heritage Explorer

Gun enplacement aka Pill Box. Quite a clever construcion for its time as they had to be made very quickly and assembled by unskilled workers. The idea was to slow down invading forces whose progress would have been slwed by the waterway anyway - thus would make an easier target.

45 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

But the OP said it was brick-built, with stairs and walkways.   Pillboxes are none of these.

Good point, dammit....

I've just spent ages trying to find a picture of the building that I thought might suit - but found nothing. The neaest I could find were in the Gunpowder Mills above , but they're not copyable. The one I recall was at or near Marsworth; a 'typical' victorian public services building where large 'engines' lived - long stroke pumps with separate boiler houses.

Edited by OldGoat

Thanks for all the replies so far. As yet no success. Just to clarify:

All brick structure (reddish colour bricks)

Fairly modern structure (1990s onwards, at a guess) - rules out historic buildings

As far as I remember, not a building a such. No doors or windows

About one storey high

Open location, fields around

For an example of the style of the structure (brick type/colour etc), see this car park design here: https://goo.gl/maps/pDgKRzdxZVemP5Cs9