Residential moorings near Bath

JoanneRush

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy a widebeam (60' by 10'), but I know residential / full access leisure moorings are hard to come by at that end of the Kennet and Avon, so ideally I'd like to get one set up first. Does anyone have any tips about moorings, maybe on private land? I'm starting a Phd at Bath Spa in October so I've got some time to look. But I'm new to living aboard, so the other option of CC is a bit intimidating first off!

Thanks very much for the help,

Jo

First, welcome to the forum and I'm glad you've asked rather than just turning up in Bath with a boat, especially one that big!

"Hard to come by" doesn't begin to cover it - I don't wish to be a naysayer but you have to brace yourself for the prospect that this idea won't work. People do CC, but that's getting harder not least due to the shear number of people doing it, and if you're doing a PHD you really, really don't need the aggro. 

There are three marinas on the river, at Keynsham, Saltford, and Bath, plus marinas at Bradford on Avon, Hilperton and Foxhangers (below Devizes locks), The only one I've ever known not to have a waiting list is Foxhangers. There are online moorings as well, but these are similarly heavily subscribed, one on the Avon near Keysnham had a five year waiting list recently - mooring on the river is not for the fainthearted in any event. 

A widebeam won't fit into the Coal Canal moorings at Dundas (which is where my boat is) - at the last count there was a rather nice narrow boat for sale there though.

Buying a boat on an existing mooring would be your best bet.  

Also try the harbourmaster at Bristol.  They charge like a wounded rhinoceros though , if they have any space.

There is also Portishead marina, but that might be a bit far out.

N

Thanks for the welcome! And for the advice - it's really helpful. I'll be living on a grant, so I'm hoping to avoid rhino charges! ;)

I'm definitely thinking about narrowboats too, and the Coal Canal moorings look good.  I've tracked down the Stella, for sale on ApolloDuck, and will try to get in touch. I'm guessing that might be the one you had in mind?

Thanks again!

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Indeed they are

I often stay on the boat when my work involves commuting into Bath though, and I'm not alone - there is a "live and let live" mentality there

:)

Good to hear. That boat for sale there looks a decent proposition too. Great for taking out regularly to enjoy that lovely bit of the world.  

I think you are quite correct in finding a residential mooring first. The problem is there just aren't any and there never have been many with full planning permission for residential use unless you can afford the freehold which would be more than buying a house. I would have only seriously considered living on a boat if I had a freehold mooring with full planning permission anything else leaves you open to the discretion of the freeholder. Clearly you do not want to be a continuous cruiser so I would look to rent somewhere on the land. At some point in the near future CaRT and EA are going to tighten up the rules on towpath mooring, especially if the numbers increase at the current rate and your boat will be worthless and a real liability just like a caravan without a site.

Just now, Mike Adams said:

I think you are quite correct in finding a residential mooring first. The problem is there just aren't any and there never have been many with full planning permission for residential use unless you can afford the freehold which would be more than buying a house. I would have only seriously considered living on a boat if I had a freehold mooring with full planning permission anything else leaves you open to the discretion of the freeholder. Clearly you do not want to be a continuous cruiser so I would look to rent somewhere on the land. At some point in the near future CaRT and EA are going to tighten up the rules on towpath mooring, especially if the numbers increase at the current rate and your boat will be worthless and a real liability just like a caravan without a site.

Given this is literally on my doorstep I have to comment

A boat moored at Brassknocker Basin is not on CRT property and is not subject to any such tightening up, and the OP has said at the outset that CC'in doesn't appeal. The OP is also set to do a PhD at Bath Spa uni so is presumably going to be in the area for perhaps 3 years. A boat at Brassknocker would be a good bet with a bus service and a cycle rid down to towpath to reach Bath

Renting on the land around Bath is even more expensive that moorings in Bristol - and the effect is spreading to surrounding towns, my boat is a Brassknocker, I lodge in Frome, Lodgings are going for eye watering figures in Bath and the knock on effect is that they're not exactly cheap in Frome either - commuting from Frome to Bath is either a slow bus ride, or an almost as slow train ride or a slow drive, which is why I stay on the boat when working in Bath. 

Freehold mooring with full planning permission is a level of security most land-based tenants don't get - if he OP is waiting for that or it's land based equivalent best put the PhD on hold for twenty years. 

17 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

A boat moored at Brassknocker Basin is not on CRT property and is not subject to any such tightening up, and the OP has said at the outset that CC'in doesn't appeal. The OP is also set to do a PhD at Bath Spa uni so is presumably going to be in the area for perhaps 3 years. A boat at Brassknocker would be a good bet with a bus service and a cycle rid down to towpath to reach Bath

That would be fine. Are there any vaccancies for residential boats and how much does it cost? I thought they were all narrow beam in there but I could be mistaken.

1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

That would be fine. Are there any vacancies for residential boats and how much does it cost? I thought they were all narrow beam in there but I could be mistaken.

The OP is looking at narrow beam too - as for residential, she can discuss that with the management at the moorings if and when she buys a boat already moored there - others do live there and others have that discussion. I wouldn't normally try and cut off your line of discussion but those moorings are where I am and I know owner and I know the inside track - I couldn't possibly give this level of comment about any other mooring on the system. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for your comments Magpie... I am currently headed down to Bath from York - I was initially considering how I would get on as a CC, but from what I have seen and read elsewhere this is looking increasingly unlikely... 

I am looking to live-aboard the majority of the time with occasional trips for business - I have a 40ft Narrowboat - so any suggestions and recommendations on places to look would be much appreciated, or is it best to get down there and then look around for a couple of month and speak to people locally?  (My ETA is around the end of August to Mid September)

Would it be worth considering just setting up a winter mooring, or is that like hen's teeth too?

Is there an online forum anywhere for discussion just for the area from Bradford-on-avon to Bristol?

Many thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
On 04/08/2020 at 13:52, Athy said:

I wonder what happened to Joanne. She wasn't in a Rush when she first posted, but time is marching on.

Me too... so much time has passed that I have now completed my journey down from York and am currently on the 48-hour moorings outside SCC before heading down to Bath this weekend and then on to Hanham so I can say I went as far as I could...  I am guessing she found an alternative?

On 04/08/2020 at 13:52, Athy said:

I wonder what happened to Joanne. She wasn't in a Rush when she first posted, but time is marching on.

Perhaps she realised that the challenge of CCing a widebeam on the crowded K&A whilst trying to read for a PhD at Bath was a silly idea?  Everyone has silly ideas, but those who can't spot them probably are unlikely to be viable PhD candidates. ;)

4 hours ago, Cinimod said:

Me too... so much time has passed that I have now completed my journey down from York and am currently on the 48-hour moorings outside SCC before heading down to Bath this weekend and then on to Hanham so I can say I went as far as I could...  I am guessing she found an alternative?

What is wrong with Bristol? (why stop at Hanham)

Then of course you have the slightly larger & more upmarket version "The Piano boat"

Sink or Swim - the piano raft © Stephen Craven :: Geograph Britain and  Ireland

Piano Raft, Unexpected West Yorkshire owned by Ben Cummins @Pianoraft  #shedoftheyear

The Piano Raft has been built from locally salvaged and donated materials gathered along a 6 year journey upon the Liverpool & Leeds canal. Initially built for the Liverpool Biennial 2009. Artist Ben Parry envisaged.. A Semi-post apocalyptic environment where Britain was flooded and people had to take to the canals in order to transport food & trade much like it used to be.

Departing from Liverpool, no engine, rope in hand, along the towpath. Ben Cummins has manually pulled the evolving structure upon a mission to deliver a piano to London. The shed has unfolded into a surreal castle shaped by materials found upon his journey through Lancashire and Yorkshire. Each section of the build has a story and person behind it. The Piano Raft is currently moored in Leeds and functions as a floating centre of excellence for Yoga, drawing, sonic art and Mushroom Mycelium workshops.

• Greenie 1

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 08:23, Alan de Enfield said:

Then of course you have the slightly larger & more upmarket version "The Piano boat"

Sink or Swim - the piano raft © Stephen Craven :: Geograph Britain and  Ireland

Piano Raft, Unexpected West Yorkshire owned by Ben Cummins @Pianoraft  #shedoftheyear

The Piano Raft has been built from locally salvaged and donated materials gathered along a 6 year journey upon the Liverpool & Leeds canal. Initially built for the Liverpool Biennial 2009. Artist Ben Parry envisaged.. A Semi-post apocalyptic environment where Britain was flooded and people had to take to the canals in order to transport food & trade much like it used to be.

Departing from Liverpool, no engine, rope in hand, along the towpath. Ben Cummins has manually pulled the evolving structure upon a mission to deliver a piano to London. The shed has unfolded into a surreal castle shaped by materials found upon his journey through Lancashire and Yorkshire. Each section of the build has a story and person behind it. The Piano Raft is currently moored in Leeds and functions as a floating centre of excellence for Yoga, drawing, sonic art and Mushroom Mycelium workshops.

Brilliant, much more interesting than a good many boats.

On 24/05/2020 at 11:20, JoanneRush said:

Hi,

I'm hoping to buy a widebeam (60' by 10'), but I know residential / full access leisure moorings are hard to come by at that end of the Kennet and Avon, so ideally I'd like to get one set up first. Does anyone have any tips about moorings, maybe on private land? I'm starting a Phd at Bath Spa in October so I've got some time to look. But I'm new to living aboard, so the other option of CC is a bit intimidating first off!

Thanks very much for the help,

Jo

It will be cheaper to rent a flat in Bath and share it.