Marina berthing charges, reduction during lockdown

Momac

Featured Posts

I understand some of the bigger marina groups on the south coast have given  partial refund to berth holders  during the corona virus lockdown .  This is to reflect the marina being effectively inaccessible due to travel restrictions . It also reflects the marinas reduced costs where its employees have been furloughed .

Have people in inland waterways marinas reading this received any such refund or other financial concession?

I'm not aware of any reductions being offered and although it would be nice I don't expect it. I have still enjoyed the same services for my boat throughout the lockdown and have appreciated that some-one is keeping an eye on it. I don't think my marina has furloughed anyone so their costs will not have reduced. 

Edited by RichLech
spelling mistake
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

This question was asked regarding caravan sites, the answer in a nutshell, was.

It depends on the level of service provided.

If the site is just a place to "park" the caravan, with no, or minimal other services, then no reduction.

If the site provided other amenities, that you were prevented by the site owners to use, then a reduction might be possible.  But this amount would depend on the cost difference between just the "parking" cost and the full use cost.  How that could be determined would keep the Courts busy for a long time.  Meanwhile you would undoubtedly be required to remove the caravan.

Our marina only "advised" that we don't go to the boat, and as no club house, with entertainment laid on as part of the mooring agreement was supplied, I don't expect any reduction.

Bod.

We were lucky on CART waters in that they gave us a month off the licence even though boats are stillin their water. Thames for instance didnt bother and why should they. 

The staff in our marina are working a lot less operating the service dock...but they are loosing money on this...but are working far harder doing other stuff, i.e. Checking boats. A continuous string of calls from moorers asking to check this that and the other. The grounds man is flat out keeping t undergrowth in check. 

Wouldnt really expect a reduction. Ours isn't a highly staffed marina. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Free licence for a month (13 months for the price of 12)

It marina charges that I am asking about as some of the bigger marina chains have taken some of the pain by giving partial refunds or money off next year . Some on the south coast have had some money back - 25% reduction x 2 months so I am told . Perhaps not a fortune but a welcome gesture.  Its interesting to note an absence of such offer son inland waterways  - so far.

I haven't bought a license yet - still off water until  June or until the locks on the R.Trent are functioning .  Will probably get a 3 month license at that point.... its already a short season for us as we would ordinarily have been moving most weekends from the beginning of April.

To their credit the C&RT have dealt with the covid situation quite well in the way they have dealt with the license fees.

While  the EA  appear to have done nothing.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

It marina charges that I am asking about

Sorry, misunderstood the 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

or other financial concession?

and related it to the whole boating scene.

By the time the RT is fully open I reckon you'll be 'about right' with your 3 month licence.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont expect a refund from the marina my boat is moored in, its been moored all that time

I have mixed feelings on the subject. 

The business  I pay to allow me to park my boat declares itself ''more then just a marina' . It has not fulfilled that promise for a couple of months.

Marinas may well have furloughed staff and if so will have saved some costs , while retaining the income from moored boats, therefore making more profit.

If its anything like the places I've moored at, half the boats never move off their moorings anyway and some never appear to be visited except to stick a new licence in the window.  Lockdown makes no difference to them and the marina would see no reason to offer a reduction.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If its anything like the places I've moored at, half the boats never move off their moorings anyway and some never appear to be visited except to stick a new licence in the window.  Lockdown makes no difference to them and the marina would see no reason to offer a reduction.

What about the other half ?

The moorers at BW are not being charged for the months that they couldn't access their boats. We are hoping that the same is going to apply to the hardstanding fees.

BW are also have a five year mooring fee freeze with a promise of no increases in that five years.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

The moorers at BW are not being charged for the months that they couldn't access their boats. We are hoping that the same is going to apply to the hardstanding fees.

BW are also have a five year mooring fee freeze with a promise of no increases in that five years.

That's  interesting info. It seems quite  a few marinas have made some sort of financial concession regardless of whether they strictly needed to do so. 

Burton Waters  has always been a bit cheaper than Farndon . However I believe  BW boats  in the water have to be licensed all year while Farndon boats can be declared off water while in the marina over winter . As we usually license the boat 6 months  of the year plus the occasional short term license it makes the two marinas closer to cost neutral. Not to mention we live less than mile from the boat at Farndon compared to 20 miles by road to BW.

15 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's  interesting info. It seems quite  a few marinas have made some sort of financial concession regardless of whether they strictly needed to do so. 

Burton Waters  has always been a bit cheaper than Farndon . However I believe  BW boats  in the water have to be licensed all year while Farndon boats can be declared off water while in the marina over winter . As we usually license the boat 6 months  of the year plus the occasional short term license it makes the two marinas closer to cost neutral. Not to mention we live less than mile from the boat at Farndon compared to 20 miles by road to BW.

Burton Waters is no cheaper than Farndon now which is why a lot of boats have left. Couple that with having to be licensed for the full 12 months and paying extra for storage ashore and it is actually much more expensive to moor at Burton Waters then Farndon or Newark.

We were at Farndon yesterday to borrow a shaft extractor. Was a lovely day and plenty of boats on the river.

We are still pondering a move onto the Trent. Both Newark and Farndon are about the same distance away from our house as Burton Waters is now and time wise they are all about half an hour.