Thoughts on this boat, anyone?

NB DW

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

This is a plan worth pursuing. The rental income on a one-bedroomed flat which we own pays for all our boat expenditure.

I've done my sums and deliberately pessimistically, weighing up having a small leisure boat and keeping my home, and a larger boat to live on and taking on a lodger or renting the house out completely.

Oddly enough, taking on a lodger looks like the best bet.  No tax to pay whereas I'd lose 40% if I let the home out.  And I've not got the hassle of getting rid of stuff/putting it into storage etc. 

And I can check on my home any time I like!

The selling point to lodgers is that essentially they're getting the benefit of home that'll be essentially theirs as if it were privately rented but at a much reduced cost.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I heard of one cheeky bugger who offered Eighty Grand less than the asking price on a boat!

I can't take responsibility for that one.  But I've heard of lots of new-ish Collingwoods, particularly widebeams, going for a hell of a lot less than the owners have paid for them.

Anyhow, my offer's been knocked back and I now know the price they'll accept, and it's not one I'm going to stretch to I'm afraid.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I heard of one cheeky bugger who offered Eighty Grand less than the asking price on a boat!

No -surely not.

I can only imagine it must have been somewhere in Europe where lack of RCD paperwork and no proof of VAT payment certificate made it unsaleable.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I can only imagine it must have been somewhere in Europe where lack of RCD paperwork and no proof of VAT payment certificate made it unsaleable.

But @dmr said knowing about the boring paperwork was a waste of time you could spend boating.  I hope you made the boating time up afterwards ...  :boat:

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But @dmr said knowing about the boring paperwork was a waste of time you could spend boating.  I hope you made the boating time up afterwards ...  :boat:

Would 3050 miles in 30 days (bringing it back) contribute to 'making up the time' ?

Arriving in Hull after 28 days sailing (+2 days R&R) 

InkedCAM00048_LI.jpg

CAM00067.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No -surely not.

That is true, but you made the offer and the seller accepted, if he hadn't known about the offer you wouldn't have the boat.

19 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I wouldnt hang about, boats are selling quickly at the moment. Advertising a good one on here will only make it sell quicker.

In my 31 years of full time ownership and 8 different boats they have all sold very quickly. Anyone who sees a good boat needs to buy it or they will simply lose it to another purchaser. There isnt always another one around the corner that you will like.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with ABNB today as Great Escape was still available and was hoping to discuss whether my previous offer might be considered given time has gone on with no sale.

It sold yesterday or at least an offer was accepted.

There doesn't seem to be much coming to the market at the moment, especially 40-50ft - even the bigger brokers like Whilton, Venetian and Rugby boats have hardly anything compared to what they'd normally have!

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Aqueduct have been moving a few boats in that look to be on brokerage over the last 3 weeks. They have a big banner on saying, "trade moving" or something on them.

May be worth a look there.

Thanks.

I was there yesterday to meet the new owners of my boat which has just sold via Aqueduct.  Unfortunately, nothing there of interest at the moment.

45 minutes ago, NB DW said:

There doesn't seem to be much coming to the market at the moment, especially 40-50ft - even the bigger brokers like Whilton, Venetian and Rugby boats have hardly anything compared to what they'd normally have!

There is quite a lot coming to market, you just have to be quick or get your self in the loop with brokers to find what's arriving.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

There is quite a lot coming to market, you just have to be quick or get your self in the loop with brokers to find what's arriving.

Just doesn't seem to be many listed and on brokerage at all.

But you're right in terms of keeping in the loop - mine sold via the broker without even being advertised.

Just visited the site for ABNB. They still have loads of boats available. They are either getting a good share of boats coming into the market, or their sales team are not yet back up to speed. I don’t have a definite opinion on that. Rugby Boats have, I think three or four available boats.

52 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just visited the site for ABNB. They still have loads of boats available. They are either getting a good share of boats coming into the market, or their sales team are not yet back up to speed. I don’t have a definite opinion on that. Rugby Boats have, I think three or four available boats.

I think they are busy dealing taking on new boats and selling the ones on their books.  You only have to look at the number of deposits being taken and boats marked as sold to know their sales team are back up to speed.

Lots of boats are being sold over the phone with deposits subject to survey.  Some are proceeding without surveys due to the lack of availability of surveyors during lockdown.  The frenzy is definitely up to speed....

5 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I think they are busy dealing taking on new boats and selling the ones on their books.  You only have to look at the number of deposits being taken and boats marked as sold to know their sales team are back up to speed.

Lots of boats are being sold over the phone with deposits subject to survey.  Some are proceeding without surveys due to the lack of availability of surveyors during lockdown.  The frenzy is definitely up to speed....

I don’t doubt that the frenzy is up to speed. I didn’t look at the deposits taken section. I wonder if they advise the purchasers to proceed without survey as there is a shortage of surveyors. I know I wouldn’t.

Glad to hear that there is a new availability of boats coming onto the market.

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

I don’t doubt that the frenzy is up to speed. I didn’t look at the deposits taken section. I wonder if they advise the purchasers to proceed without survey as there is a shortage of surveyors. I know I wouldn’t.

Glad to hear that there is a new availability of boats coming onto the market.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting ABNB are selling boats without surveys or suggesting that buyers shouldn't have a survey.  I meant it is occurring widely across the used boat marketplace.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting ABNB are selling boats without surveys or suggesting that buyers shouldn't have a survey.  I meant it is occurring widely across the used boat marketplace.

Point explained and understood.