Thoughts on this boat, anyone?

NB DW

Featured Posts

Hello,

My boat has been in brokage less than a week and has already sold.  It's only a 25ft'er but was bought to use for weekends and holidays.  At the time I'd considered being a liveaboard but got cold feet and ended up with a newer, smaller boat.

A long story short and I've really enjoyed it, and think maybe life's too short (I'm only in my mid-30s) and want to make a go of living aboard full-time on a larger boat.

I can potentially stretch up to £48K and I'm looking for something that's 40-50ft in length.  With my sort of budget I should be able to get something relatively new, well looked after and reasonably equipped.

This caught be eye a while ago and now I'm in a position to buy I'd like to view it.  But I'm keen on your thoughts too.  The shell is made by somebody with a decent reputation, I understand, and it's got a substantial baseplate - or at least the original thickness was! 

I'm not too sure of the grade/source/quality of steels used though and I'd love to find out more on this if anyone can guide me.  From everything I've learned so far, it's one of the most important things to note and it's not just about the thickness.

Anyhow, here it is..

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3604web/3604abnb.php?BoatID=3604

Thanks in advance.

Don't forget to allow your 'costs' in your budget :

Survey ~£1000

BSS has expired ~£160

Licence ~£800

Insurance ~ £200

Blacking ~£600

Mooring £3000+

Getting from the broker to your mooring £?

It look a 'lot of boat' and I'd be surprised if you get it down to your budget - that's a big reduction in the boat-buying frenzy of the current climate.

Its pretty and if you want a tiny boat you could do much worse. I dont see the money in it but it will sell. Get rid of the greenhouse on the back though. The double is narrow for two but ok as a roomy single. If you like it buy it as everyone likes different things.

Thanks.

I've got a refund due on my existing boat, and I'll either swap the insurance I have with GJW over or take out a new policy. 

But absolutely, I'd be having a survey and I've allowed for that sort of stuff within my budget too.

The boat does look well equipped and is a decent shell.  It's now all down to £.

Other boats have come and gone in all the time this has been up for sale which might help with the negotiation.

Re. the stove, I agree, I'd prefer it placed elsewhere.  But the rest of the boat's a bit of a blank canvas.  I'm assuming because there's no fixed furniture it's not helping the sale - most I suppose must lean towards fixed seating/dinettes etc.

I'm single so I can get away with the bed too.

I'd prefer a trad over a semi but prepared to make a trade-off for a decent shell.

I don't like the bed with a cupboard over its head - you will crack your head on it. Its also narrow - Ok you are single at the moment but circumstances change!!

This appears to be more in your price range - https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3490web/3490abnb.php?BoatID=3490

Have you looked at what Rugby Boat sales have to offer?

A good idea would be to spend a day visiting Whilton, Rugby, Braunston and ABNB and looking at boats in your price bracket. It does seem to be a sellers market at the moment so don't expect to get much of a discount on the asked for price.

Nice looking boat but having all port holes (and no big windows) would make it a "no" for me. Also, I notice that the bed goes right to the steps up to the stern and it might be worth checking that if it rains and the canopy isn't up, that rain doesn't land on the bed. 

haggis

Just now, Richard T said:

I don't like the bed with a cupboard over its head - you will crack your head on it. Its also narrow - Ok you are single at the moment but circumstances change!!

This appears to be more in your price range - https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3490web/3490abnb.php?BoatID=3490

Have you looked at what Rugby Boat sales have to offer?

A good idea would be to spend a day visiting Whilton, Rugby, Braunston and ABNB and looking at boats in your price bracket. It does seem to be a sellers market at the moment so don't expect to get much of a discount on the asked for price.

Thanks.

I'd need to take a look at the bed setup to see whether it's liveable.

I had a good look around Whilton/ABNB/Braunston much earlier this year so I've a reasonable idea of what I'm after but I'm not being closed mind as to rule anything out.

The boat you've linked to is 60ft, well beyond what I'm looking for - 50ft max, really.  And I'd prefer a much more modern fit out too I'm afraid.

It all depends on the seller's situation.  If it's somebody in need of a sale they're more likely to grab an offer rather than take the risk of it sitting there, only perhaps to receive another offer albeit weeks/months later.

3 minutes ago, haggis said:

Nice looking boat but having all port holes (and no big windows) would make it a "no" for me. Also, I notice that the bed goes right to the steps up to the stern and it might be worth checking that if it rains and the canopy isn't up, that rain doesn't land on the bed. 

haggis

Good shout.  I'm not too sure how I'd be able to test that though, and that's not me aiming to be a smartarse.

I like the idea of portholes because of the security and privacy aspect but suspect that's putting many people off.  That and there's no pigeon box etc to let more light in.

The owner bought it from ABNB 18 months ago and has moved back to land, perhaps suggesting it's not worked out for him, or the boat's got its issues!

18 minutes ago, NB DW said:

Good shout.  I'm not too sure how I'd be able to test that though, and that's not me aiming to be a smartarse.

I like the idea of portholes because of the security and privacy aspect but suspect that's putting many people off.  That and there's no pigeon box etc to let more light in.

The owner bought it from ABNB 18 months ago and has moved back to land, perhaps suggesting it's not worked out for him, or the boat's got its issues!

When you see the boat, you will be able to see whether with the hatch open and the canopy off, the end of the bed will be near enough the hatch opening for rain to land on the bed. 

I like the fact that it has no furniture in the lounge as you will be able to furnish that bit how it will suit you. 

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

When you see the boat, you will be able to see whether with the hatch open and the canopy off, the end of the bed will be near enough the hatch opening for rain to land on the bed. 

I like the fact that it has no furniture in the lounge as you will be able to furnish that bit how it will suit you. 

haggis

Thank you

I like it not having fixed furniture too.  But maybe that's what's putting off buyers equally.

The boat looks attractive and clean. Its lack of fixed furniture would be a minus point for me, but you say that you're happy with that.

Its best feature, arguably, is that it's on sale with Andy Burnett's who have the reputation of not selling rubbish. They also have the reputation of being reluctant to "knock a few grand off", so striking a mutually satisfactory financial deal may be problematic.

Thanks for the replies.

I've visited ABNB before and was impressed, and I'd heard they don't take on junk.  Anyhow, an offer's gone in this morning so waiting to hear back.

If it's not accepted I'll wait for the next to come up.  I'm sure the increased recent interest will quieten off soon enough.

In terms of low-balling offers against the asking price and whether they're accepted or not, it all depends on the seller's circumstances.  It might be out of necessity and need or any number of reasons, and I guess it's this that'll determine whether or not it's accepted.

Like with selling a home I'm supposing a broker is contractually bound to put forward all offers to the vendor regardless of whether they believe it to be too low.

1 minute ago, NB DW said:

Like with selling a home I'm supposing a broker is contractually bound to put forward all offers to the vendor regardless of whether they believe it to be too low.

The seller will often tell the broker, "don't bother me with ridiculous offers, just say 'no', if one comes in within X%  then let me know their circumstances, cash buyer etc and I'll make a decision".

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The seller will often tell the broker, "don't bother me with ridiculous offers, just say 'no', if one comes in within X%  then let me know their circumstances, cash buyer etc and I'll make a decision".

If I were a broker I'd be asking for that in writing!  Wouldn't want to be accused of turning away a sale!

2 minutes ago, NB DW said:

If I were a broker I'd be asking for that in writing!  Wouldn't want to be accused of turning away a sale!

If I were the vendor I wouldn't want to be phoned up every day with "an offer 25%" below the asking price with the justification that the potential buyer is knocking off the cost of redecorating inside because he doesn't like the colour - "Tough" buy one that is the colour you want.

My boats are priced at the price I will accept, I don't inflate the price so I can knock 'a load off'.

1 minute ago, NB DW said:

In my experience, be it cars, homes or boats, there's nearly always room for negotiation but every situation's different.

It is and at the moment (and pretty much for the last few years) good, reasonably priced boats are selling within hours / day at their asking price.

You can very easily pi?? of a seller by suggesting his boat is tat and not worth what he is asking.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is and at the moment (and pretty much for the last few years) good, reasonably priced boats are selling within hours / day at their asking price.

You can very easily pi?? of a seller by suggesting his boat is tat and not worth what he is asking.

I'm northern, I'm always going to make an offer even if I think the price is right!  Why wouldn't I?  The worst they can say is no, and that's where the real negotiation begins.

This boat's been up for sale since well before lockdown and not sold within days/hours of the broker opening back up either - so maybe it isn't that good..

Nobody got rich through giving their money away ?

This boat's been up for sale since well before lockdown and not sold within days/hours of the broker opening back up either - so maybe it isn't that good..

Maybe you are right, but before the lockdown was Jan/Feb when sales are slow. We are in the middle of the sale process with our boat - interrupted with the lock down - but what is clear now is the interest today is big with our broker and they need boats to sell. There are a lot of peeps looking at boats and buying. Lack of overseas holidays will drive demand and whilst a number of wannabe boaters will have reduced funds, there will be a number of peeps who will sadly have inherited money. It certainly looks like we are in a sellers market at the moment.

I'd hadn't considered the inheritence situation to be honest.  But what I do find odd is the situation a number of people have mentioned whereby the lack of a foreign holiday this year is going to be subsituted be whacking £50K on a narrowboat.  It just doesn't seem to stack.  Balance that with the state of the economy too and it all feels odd to me.

But then again what do I know?  I don't need a boat to live on, I've already got a home, and this totally undermines the above sentence.

I'd hadn't considered the inheritence situation to be honest.  But what I do find odd is the situation a number of people have mentioned whereby the lack of a foreign holiday this year is going to be subsituted be whacking £50K on a narrowboat.  It just doesn't seem to stack.  Balance that with the state of the economy too and it all feels odd to me.

But then again what do I know?  I don't need a boat to live on, I've already got a home, and this totally undermines the above sentence.

Over the last few years there is a huge amount of 'disposable income' floating about in the economy - it all started when pension-pots were allowed to be raided, inheritance rules changed, redundancy monies, etc etc.

There are a lot of people who "want it today" and will "worry about it in the future".

Maybe C19 has enforced this even further - live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.

In in my mid-30s, my pension pot's worth nothing at all.  But I've started to remedy that over recent months and hopefully it'll continue.

Letting my home / getting a lodger will ultimately pay for the upkeep of the boat.  That's my justification at least.

Like you say, live for today but still take some responsibility about saving for tomorrow too.

7 minutes ago, NB DW said:

Letting my home / getting a lodger will ultimately pay for the upkeep of the boat.  That's my justification at least.

This is a plan worth pursuing. The rental income on a one-bedroomed flat which we own pays for all our boat expenditure.