Beta marine engines

Callum4878

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Indeed and if things are getting too hot send someone into the shower or turn on the washing machine (if it has a hot feed)!  :)

The Ribble link skippers guide advises you to have a full water tank, and to run off hot water periodically.  Not easy if you are single handed.

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It uses 6 times as much juice at full chat compared to normal cruising revs.  Plus the centreline-moored boaters get very cross. :D

Mine is a bit more than 6x and, to make it worse - I've got two of them slurping away !!

At 1000 rpm.                1.59 x 1.03 = 1.6 litres per hour

At 1100 rpm                 1.59 x 1.13 = 2.1 litres per hour

At 1200 rpm                 1.59 x 1.23 = 2.7 litres per hour

At 1300 rpm                 1.59 x 1.33 = 3.5 litres per hour

At 1400 rpm                 1.59 x 1.43 = 4.4 litres per hour

At 1500 rpm                 1.59 x 1.53 = 5.4 litres per hour

At 1600 rpm                 1.59 x 1.63 = 6.5 litres per hour

At 1700 rpm                 1.59 x 1.73 = 7.8 litres per hour

At 1800 rpm                 1.59 x 1.83 = 9.3 litres per hour

At 1900 rpm                 1.59 x 1.93 = 10.9 litres per hour

At 2000 rpm                 1.59 x 2.03 = 12.7 litres per hour

At 2100 rpm                 1.59 x 2.13 = 14.7 litres per hour

At 2200 rpm                 1.59 x 2.23 = 16.9 litres per hour

At 2300 rpm                 1.59 x 2.33 = 19.3 litres per hour

At 2400 rpm                 1.59 x 2.43 = 22.0 litres per hour

At 2500 rpm                 1.59 x 2.53 =  24.8 litres per hour

At 2600 rpm                     1.59 x 2.63 =  28.0 litres per hour

image.png.fa6c2a1aa4815b7004c5efd6f873140f.png

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Edit to add: No, it doesn't even mention singlehanding.  Or I'm thinking of somewhere else!

The lower Trent, The Humber and the Ouse that come under the control of ABP

Edited by Alan de Enfield

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Mine is a bit more than 6x and, to make it worse - I've got two of them slurping away !!

You get a wee bit more than 38 horses out of both though!

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The lower Trent, The Humber and the Ouse that come under the control of ABP

Ta.  It's only exactly the other side of the country!

At about 2000rpm with  Beta 43 in a 10m x 3.4 m boat we are as near as dammit going as fast as the boat will go, to get any more speed out of it we would need to get up on the plane and that's asking a lot for a little fat tug.

4 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It also forbids singlehanding I think?

I'll check!

Don’t believe it does. There were single handers both ways we did it, including one coming down on a cruiser with a scaffold plank across the stern that the guy stood on and worked the outboard from it’s attached “tiller”.  As I said worrying about the type of Beta engine pales into insignificance compare to the stuff people do the Ribble link with, it was a eye opener for me.

edited to add, her is  a picture going round Ashland Lamp with the cruiser in front of us, guy stood on the stern, rather him than me

7971540E-556F-4FA2-8F0C-64F7DE076B6F.jpeg

Edited by john6767

Two points.

The fuel consumption curves are taken at the equivalent of wide open throttle with the engine speed being controlled by the load. Even on an estuary this is a very unlikely scenario unless you are so underpowered you are running flat out. I'd lay odds the fuel consumption of the two engines will be all but identical providing both have the correct props fitted.

I am sure the 38hp is more than adequate but what often gets overlooked is that the safety of boats in more stringent conditions is that the skippers abilities and preparations are arguably more important than the engine power providing that power is enough. In this respect remember many working boats had and still have sub 20hp engines and can still show a modern narrowboat a clean pair of heels on the Thames and that probably has more to do with prop diameter and hull design than engine power.

Your prep for such a passage is likely to have more influence  on a safe passage than raw engine power. A 100hp engine is just a mud weight if its fuel filters are full of bug/water, an untested cooling system is inadequate or a perished hose fails, lack of oil causes the engine or gearbox to seize up and so on.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

My 60 foot narrowboat has a Beta 43 and was initially fitted with a 17" x 11" prop. This meant normal canal cruising speed was 1500rpm (relatively noisy) and the boat was a nightmare to stop in a hurry.

Last year I changed it for an 18" x 12" and it has made a huge difference. Canal cruising is much more relaxed at 1250 rpm and the boat stops in a much shorter distance without the stern paddling across the canal.

Fuel consumption is reduced as well. What's not to like. ?

Yep 18 x 12 as with mine and I put a 17 x 11 on my 38.

On 23/05/2020 at 16:05, TheBiscuits said:

17" x 10" for inland use

https://betamarine.co.uk/inland-propellers/ 

16" x 8" for seagoing boats.

https://betamarine.co.uk/seagoing-propellers/

Yep, that'll have done it!  

Thanks for the extra info. My Google search took me to Beta's American website which obviously doesn't need to cover narrow boats. I'll have to up my research skills.