Recommendations for a marina in central location?

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

Hello! Help needed wading through all of the mooring possibilities...

I recently bought a 36ft narrowboat which is presently moored in a nice, but rather pricey marina on the Avon. I work two weeks of the month away in North Norfolk, and will spend the other two weeks on my boat and hope to do plenty of cruising. I'm looking for a basic marina - quiet but close to a decent-sized town for good re-provisioning and with a bit of charm. Plenty of cruising choices from the marina would be tops. 

Can anyone recommend? Happy to travel up to three hours to my Norfolk job, so plenty of flexibility! 

Thanks in advance,

Jac

Edited by Jacsprat

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Castle Marina's have a few scattered around the Midlands and further afield.

https://www.castlemarinas.co.uk/home

Having stayed in two, can happily recommend them.

Thanks Ray - like their flexible berthing scheme! How do they feel about people overnighting in their boats in the marinas?

4 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Thanks Ray - like their flexible berthing scheme! How do they feel about people overnighting in their boats in the marinas?

Some of them have residential moorings but I would suggest you actually drive to the marina and speak to the marina manager telling them what you plan to do and just how long you plan to be sleeping in the marina. I think your biggest stumbling block will be mail as most marinas wont accept it unless you are residential and paying for a residential mooring

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Some of the marina's have liveaboards, some don't, you will need to contact each marina as it is not openly advertised.

Ventnor where we stayed first, doesn't allow liveaboards (planning issues) but they are happy for you to stay on board for a week to 10 days or so but get a bit twitchy if you try to extend it beyond that. Wigrams have both leisure and liveaboards as does Kings Bromley. We have not stayed at any of the others. 

In the canal world Ventnor still lives under the shadow of the previous owner, by some, but all is well there now.

In line with many other marinas and CRT Castle have requested that leisure boaters do not stay overnight but are happy for "you" to visit for day trips whilst the spectre of Covid19 hovers over us all.

I have no connection with Castle Marina's apart from being a satisfied customer.

Edited by Ray T

Hi Jac,

We moored in Droitwich Spa Marina for a number of years.  The staff there are outstanding and the place is well run with decent facilities. Droitwich is a walk away, there are supermarkets within an easy drive, and the very pleasant city of Worcester a short drive or a decent day's boat trip (or day and a half in winter).  North and South on the Severn from there opens up all points west.  Whenever you fancy doing Tardebigge, the hub of Birmingham is a couple of days north or you can hang a right and head down the North Stratford to the Grand Union else hand another right down to Stratford-upon-Avon. 

Might be further west than you fancy, but well worth a thought.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hi Jac,

We moored in Droitwich Spa Marina for a number of years.  The staff there are outstanding and the place is well run with decent facilities. Droitwich is a walk away, there are supermarkets within an easy drive, and the very pleasant city of Worcester a short drive or a decent day's boat trip (or day and a half in winter).  North and South on the Severn from there opens up all points west.  Whenever you fancy doing Tardebigge, the hub of Birmingham is a couple of days north or you can hang a right and head down the North Stratford to the Grand Union else hand another right down to Stratford-upon-Avon. 

Might be further west than you fancy, but well worth a thought.

Funnily enough, I visited Droitwich marina yesterday - I'm moored in Tewkesbury at the moment. Loved the proximity to the town, and the surrounding area is gorgeous. Yes, a little further than I wanted from work, but it's still doable. Unfortunately, there are no moorings for my short boat! I've put my name in though - we shall see. 

48 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Some of the marina's have liveaboards, some don't, you will need to contact each marina as it is not openly advertised.

Ventnor where we stayed first, doesn't allow liveaboards (planning issues) but they are happy for you to stay on board for a week to 10 days or so but get a bit twitchy if you try to extend it beyond that. Wigrams have both leisure and liveaboards as does Kings Bromley. We have not stayed at any of the others. 

In the canal world Ventnor still lives under the shadow of the previous owner, by some, but all is well there now.

In line with many other marinas and CRT Castle have requested that leisure boaters do not stay overnight but are happy for "you" to visit for day trips whilst the spectre of Covid19 hovers over us all.

I have no connection with Castle Marina's apart from being a satisfied customer.

Thanks fellas! Yes, I know that 'residential' is a very grey area. I have a land-based address for mail, and have a live-in job 14 days out of 28. Looking for a leisure mooring with the option to spend quite a few nights of the other 14 in the marina if weather is too poor for cruising, or simply if I feel like doing nothing. I will be certain to clarify this with any potential marina.

27 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Sileby Mill boatyard may suit you. Its on the river Soar. Its a working yard a bit rough round the edges but friendly.Otherwise there is Sawley Marina.

Looks like a great area - don't mind 'rough around the edges' if secure and reasonably quiet. Will have a look - thanks!

2 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Thanks fellas! Yes, I know that 'residential' is a very grey area. I have a land-based address for mail, and have a live-in job 14 days out of 28. Looking for a leisure mooring with the option to spend quite a few nights of the other 14 in the marina if weather is too poor for cruising, or simply if I feel like doing nothing. I will be certain to clarify this with any potential marina.

Folks don't understand the main rule which causes a big problem for the marina operator which is that they have to pay more council rates if there are liveaboards in the marina. 'liveaboard'  for that purpose is 365 days per year, anything less is not subject to that taxation rule and is open to negotiation betwixt you and the marina.

For you the castle group (wh seem to be ever expanding is tha once you've exhausted the possibilities of one area you can hop to another for little (if any) extra cost....

• Greenie 1

For choice of cruising routes you cant beat Wigrams Turn with 5 different canals to go down in half a days cruising and quite a big pound in the winter if a lot of the locks are closed. Maybe worth giving it a year there to sus out the area and see if there is anything better. Likely an  hour nearer for you than Droitwich. We had 2 years at Wigrams and it was very good....and they do allow peeps to stay on board.

• Greenie 1