Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

And Good Riddance Too

Featured Posts

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-founder-wants-politicised-clap-for-carers-to-end-next-week-11992911

Growing up in a Working Class Community anyone who performed a Public Service from the Lollipop Lady to the Nurse who lived a couple of doors away were always respected for the contribution they made . This clapping on doorsteps has always seemed to me to be a bit trite and self serving almost like a collective masturbation to relieve the stress of lockdown . I dont think there is any doubt its become Politicised and I cant help but think when VAT hits 25% and Taxes are inevitably hiked to pay for all this largesse , these Clappers will have extremely short attention spans and move on to some other pointless gesturing .

• Greenie 3

I have to say that to me it's always seemed like a festival of public Facebook likes. A morale booster for some no doubt and unless you're trying to sleep after a twelve hour shift in ICU pretty harmless.

A 12 hour shift in ICU would either just be starting, or the staff stumbling out of the hospital doors if they managed to get out on time.

My Mum didnt appear at the door one week( being on the phone to Sis in France) ..and 5 minutes later, one of the neighbour's cane round to check she was OK.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, matty40s said:

A 12 hour shift in ICU would either just be starting, or the staff stumbling out of the hospital doors if they managed to get out on time.

My Mum didnt appear at the door one week( being on the phone to Sis in France) ..and 5 minutes later, one of the neighbour's cane round to check she was OK.

Ok it also serves as a weekly role call.

19 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Some of these clappers would be better off getting back to work , I was reading only this morning that half of England dont want to return . This fear of death is a strange thing is it not ? Perhaps I have phrased this question wrongly but you almost get the impression that with People living longer some feel that with plenty of exercise and a good diet they are immortal and this Pandemic flies in the face of their very reason for being .

Edited by Parahandy

Fortunately we are all different and we all cope with things in different ways and if the weekly clap helps some people get through what will go down as a pretty miserable period in our history so what?

I probably wont be doing it any longer but I'm not going to mock or criticise any body who wants to carry on if they feel it helps. It lasts all of ten minutes max in our road and all the nhs staff I know have said they appreciated the support.

It will probably peter out naturally anyway.

(Apart from anything else I did actually sprain my wrist hitting a steel pan with a steel spoon two weeks ago and it still hurts......🤣🤣🤣 )

Edited by The Happy Nomad
  • Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, matty40s said:

What do you think Matty about the Hijacking of this Pandemic by big Business , some of these adverts are a bit self serving .

• Greenie 2

I've always thought it to be a physical equivalent of 'sending thoughts and prayers' - i.e. useless bollocks. 

Fact is 99% of the population live in a cosy bubble where death in encountered only a very few times - in the current situation it's a lot more in people's faces and their only source of a model as to how to behave is the puerile crap on social media, which is in turn people behaving they way the think other people would expect rather than being genuine.   

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

This clapping on doorsteps has always seemed to me to be a bit trite and self serving

One of our neighbours makes a huge production out of it, up and down the street as just standing by his own doorstep isn't impressive enough.

Both the nurses on our street have commented they would much rather he didn't have friends and family coming round to visit the other 6 days of the week and just stayed indoors quietly on a Thursday.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Some of these clappers would be better off getting back to work , I was reading only this morning that half of England dont want to return .

It has been mentioned before, going back to work isn't a choice of the employee, it is a choice of the employer

4 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Some of these clappers would be better off getting back to work , I was reading only this morning that half of England dont want to return . This fear of death is a strange thing is it not ? Perhaps I have phrased this question wrongly but you almost get the impression that with People living longer some feel that with plenty of exercise and a good diet they are immortal and this Pandemic flies in the face of their very reason for being .

It depends what you mean by better off. The epidemic is covid 19 not idleness. The point is to depress the R number not to satisfy those who feel that others are getting a free holiday. I know of one person working from home who is under pressure to return because despite their productivity being as good as ever there is an undefined feeling that it's a skive.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

What do you think Matty about the Hijacking of this Pandemic by big Business , some of these adverts are a bit self serving .

I've no idea, we dont watch TV with adverts.

7 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

It depends what you mean by better off. The epidemic is covid 19 not idleness. The point is to depress the R number not to satisfy those who feel that others are getting a free holiday. I know of one person working from home who is under pressure to return because despite their productivity being as good as ever there is an undefined feeling that it's a skive.

I mean that the Economy would be better off and indeed all these furloughed staff . There is a Bunker mentality setting in and it needs to be dispelled , many of these People who dont want lockdown lifted are more than happy to go to the Seaside on a weekend , obviously I exclude People at Risk from my ramblings .

12 minutes ago, twbm said:

I've always thought it to be a physical equivalent of 'sending thoughts and prayers' - i.e. useless bollocks. 

Fact is 99% of the population live in a cosy bubble where death in encountered only a very few times - in the current situation it's a lot more in people's faces and their only source of a model as to how to behave is the puerile crap on social media, which is in turn people behaving they way the think other people would expect rather than being genuine.   

The Physical equivalent of " sending thoughts and prayers " beautifully put . Its made my Day reading that .

Edited by Parahandy

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

I mean that the Economy would be better off and indeed all these furloughed staff . There is a Bunker mentality setting in and it needs to be dispelled , many of these People who dont want lockdown lifted are more than happy to go to the Seaside on a weekend , obviously I exclude People at Risk from my ramblings .

There's no shortage of people even here who want precautions to be kept up and observed with the caveat that it doesn't apply to them if they can make a case for why it doesn't matter. It seems to be a widespread idea that everyone else is staying home so they don't have to. The point is that people aren't staying off work to protect themselves from contact but because there's no work for them. Shops are shut, should the staff turn up regardless because you don't like seeing them sitting on a beach? The more everyone does as they're told, including staying off work, the sooner life, and the economy can get back to some kind of normality.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

It has been mentioned before, going back to work isn't a choice of the employee, it is a choice of the employer

It is and largely in the sense that they have to provide a safe working environment 

7 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

There's no shortage of people even here who want precautions to be kept up and observed with the caveat that it doesn't apply to them if they can make a case for why it doesn't matter. It seems to be a widespread idea that everyone else is staying home so they don't have to. The point is that people aren't staying off work to protect themselves from contact but because there's no work for them. Shops are shut, should the staff turn up regardless because you don't like seeing them sitting on a beach? The more everyone does as they're told, including staying off work, the sooner life, and the economy can get back to some kind of normality.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/engineering-construction-workers-return-to-work/

I think you oversimplify the problem 

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/uk/Documents/risk/deloitte-uk-crisis-resilient-workforce.pdf

I found this interesting reading Sir Nibble

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

It’s a daily roll call here. Our neighbour has a son working in a Covid ICU, so we clap with her, in solidarity.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

What, specifically do you see as the problem? I've read the article and it covers one industry which it was always known would be problematic and the difficulties of making it safe and reassuring workers. What this is not is an example of the idle refusing to work, it's legitimate safety concerns. The overriding priority has to be to keep that R number falling no matter what. I've returned to work and am on the verge of leaving it again (with my employers agreement) because, by his own admission he has been unable to provide a safe workplace DUE TO THE REFUSAL OF HIS STAFF TO BOTHER WITH SAFE AND SIMPLE WORKING PRACTICES! The whole thing is a minefield but even if the inevitable minority use it as an excuse the majority are not at work for sound public health reasons.

This sort of attitude arises every time there is recession and high unemployment and the whole recession is blamed on the idleness of the unemployed. A thousand unemployed don't fit ten vacancies because Norman Tebbit's got a bike and covid 19 doesn't go away because everyone works jolly hard.

I think the problem is in the creation and implementation of this crisis resilient work model and how to address Peoples concerns about going back to work . I want to be clear that I blame employers as much as employees because the former are woefully unprepared and it is as you say a minefield . I dont think I accused these Clappers of being idle but merely said they would be better off at work because I fear some are developing a bunker mentality and enjoying the comfort zone that Government largesse has provided .

In Construction thus far there is no refusal to comply being tolerated and personally I am delighted by this , problems however may occur when we scale up the Workforce to pre covid levels

Edited by Parahandy

16 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It’s a daily roll call here. Our neighbour has a son working in a Covid ICU, so we clap with her, in solidarity.

You would do anything to remain within the EU 😀

I fear some are developing a bunker mentality

Have you any actual evidence of this? Might you be confusing a "bunker mentality" with longstanding mental health issues, now coming to the fore in these unprecedented circumstances? 

You would do anything to remain within the EU 😀

For goodness' sake, how does that have any relevance whatsoever?

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I note the earlier dig about Facebook bubbles, but round here the weekly clapping is very much to do with neighbourly solidarity. 

As for the clapping becoming politicised, perhaps the government should have thought of that before privatising great chunks of our NHS over the last ten years.  

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ournhs/moment-of-honesty-is-required-new-labour-began-dismantling-of-our-nhs/

Honestly Ian you really want to bone up on some facts before you start on your usual anti government waffle , What great chunks of the NHS have been privatised in the last ten years ? Labour it can be argued are equally culpable when it comes to introducing the Private Sector into the NHS .

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Have you any actual evidence of this? Might you be confusing a "bunker mentality" with longstanding mental health issues, now coming to the fore in these unprecedented circumstances? 

" Longstanding Mental Health Issues " which have developed in the last 60 days ? I think People are genuinely scared Ian and often unnecessarily so .

• Greenie 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.