Seeking long term boat rental 3-6 months

willie5094

Featured Posts

Hi folks. We are looking to hire a narrowboat either company or private for a 3 month hire- June, July and August 2021. We are experienced narrow boaters with 18 years syndicate experience which we had to give up as we now live in the Canary Islands. We would now like to return to the canals for 3 months. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and stay safe.

Willie and Helen (formerly NB Buccaneer)

I would think that is going to be very expensive.  In the summer holidays you are looking at perhaps £1500 a week, so I could see the 3 months being the order of £10,000.  Long term hires, popular with those from Australia and New Zealand tend to be out of the peak season, say, March/AprilMay, when rates will be much more reasonable.

10 minutes ago, willie5094 said:

Hi folks. We are looking to hire a narrowboat either company or private for a 3 month hire- June, July and August 2021. We are experienced narrow boaters with 18 years syndicate experience which we had to give up as we now live in the Canary Islands. We would now like to return to the canals for 3 months. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards and stay safe.

I think that it would be financially beneficial to buy a boat and then sell it after the 3-4 months of usage. You can arrange (at a cost) for a 'boat buyer' to evaluate several boats for you and come up with a short-list to meet your requirements, you can then come over and make the final decision and do the deal.

Alternatively you can do a longer term rental (I think that there is a 3 month minimum rental) starting at around £1000 month (and upwards depending on boat and duration)

These are one of the very few companies that are 'legally' offering the service :

https://www.etrr.co.uk/

Private boat owners (and you would have no insurance cover) would be breaking the law, insurance conditions, boat licence conditions and boat safety conditions if they hire the boat out.

Before a boat can be hired it needs a commercial licence, commercial 'hire boat' insurance and a much more detailed 'hire boat' safety certificate (many private boats are unable to actually meet the 'Hire Boat' BSSC.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/723.pdf

I know Wyvern Shipping (Leighton Buzzard) have done some long term hires in the past. We are used to meeting a Wyvern in every bridge hole in Milton Keynes, but meeting one on the T&M near Stone one June was a surprise.  That turned out to be a long hire, not due back for a few weeks.

N

My Friend Dave has 3 boats of differing lengths he hires out long term. Done properly and legaly. Ring him on 44 7470 449009

If you cannot get through,  message me and I can put you in touch.

Met a couple last year on a long term Rugby boat. From our conversation they didn't seem the type to pay over the top.

Rather than the main hire fleets through the likes of hoseasons, try some of the independent hirers like Norbury or ChasHarden who have largish fleets with a variety of styles.

For a small independent hire company, I would have thought a 3 month let, without the need to do weekly turnround, must be quite attractive, so they may be able to offer a good price. The downside is that any callout for repairs could involve a much longer trip for the mechanic.

On 16/05/2020 at 19:19, mrsmelly said:

My Friend Dave has 3 boats of differing lengths he hires out long term. Done properly and legaly. Ring him on 44 7470 449009

Thanks for that, I'm intending giving Dave a call this week sometime, it will take a wee bit of organising this end but is certainly achievable. We were intending this year but obviously won't be happening, thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I do miss the camaraderie of the canals, cheers.

• Greenie 1

I would imagine the induction on a long term hire must be quite comprehensive - how/where to fuel/pumpout and a fair bit more engine maintenance...  Offering a 3 month hire would be ideal i would think for those coming from abroad wanting to get a serious look at the canal network - sounds great....

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I would imagine the induction on a long term hire must be quite comprehensive - how/where to fuel/pumpout and a fair bit more engine maintenance...  Offering a 3 month hire would be ideal i would think for those coming from abroad wanting to get a serious look at the canal network - sounds great....

For our friends from NZ, AUS, USA and Canada if they were not here then 2020 looks like an expensive year, like it does to some of us, approx 4k, just to dream about the boat and canals. 3 month hire is probably a safer option.

Hi to everyone, hope your all weathering the current crises well.

I recently saw a link for a long term boat rental company “Escape the Rat Racehere on the form, has anyone any experience with this company or perhaps know of other companies who also give long term, 3-4 months rentals for cruising the network on an extensive basis.

Cheers Mick

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

longtermnarrowboathire@outlook.com

07470 449009

https://longtermnarrowboathire.co.uk/

We had another thread on this very recently:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/106049-3-month-hire/

I have met a few Rose Narrowboats out on mutiple-month hires, and the people all seem very happy with the service.

On 17/05/2020 at 01:19, mrsmelly said:

this looks like an interesting option, might your friend have an e mail as we are overseas

On 16/05/2020 at 16:16, willie5094 said:

Regards and stay safe.

Call Karen at Canal Cruising Co at Stone. 01785 813982