Increased demand on the waterways this summer ?

Momac

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its only same for boats,  my moorings still have to be paid and fully still has to pay crt

We are not being charged for our time ashore from March to mid May when we could not access the boat.

The moorers are also getting the same amount of time added onto their mooring contracts.

It very much depends on where you are moored as to what arrangements have been made. Which I suspect will be the same with static caravan sites.

• Greenie 1

I did read that several south coast marinas took the opposite approach; as soon as people's mooring contract ended (be it a winter term contract typically ending at the end of March, or a renewable monthly contract) and people were prohibited from accessing their boat, the marinas reverted to charging them at the daily rate which was of course many times higher.

22 hours ago, haggis said:

I didn't know wild camping wasn't allowed on England which perhaps explains why it is so popular up here. When done responsibly it is fine but sadly too many aren't responsible .My sister in law has a CL site in a lovely rural area which is being spoilt by selfish inconsiderate folk who as well as camping on every bit of available grass verge let their dogs chase sheep and other farm animals. Yet again this weekend sheep were killed by campers dogs. 

We haven't had an email from CRT about the canals being open but from what someone posted on another thread the CRT web site doesn't mention the no overnight stay on board

Haggis

The do not stay overnight is in the CRT coronavirus FAQ page I think.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We are not being charged for our time ashore from March to mid May when we could not access the boat.

The moorers are also getting the same amount of time added onto their mooring contracts.

It very much depends on where you are moored as to what arrangements have been made. Which I suspect will be the same with static caravan sites.

Not for us I am afraid but then again I have had use of the boat all the time 

6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

True.... in Alans posts, is the fact they are mentioning being a part of the hospitality industry means they are subject to different laws/rules than Marinas? The blanket ban does seem very draconian.

Marinas come under more than one category. The rules about second homes applies to boaters and marinas are expected to encourage moorers to comply - as well as meet their own H&S and Risk assessments. But many marinas also have shops (non-essential goods) and cafes (hospitality). Being caught between different categories in rules is always a problem - I know!

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

However, there are now hundreds out there isolating themselves each night along the cut and who's checking......

Left the canals for the Thames now and it seems to be different rules here for the cruisers. Absolutely loads of them out and very obviously staying overnight on boats they don't live on?‍♂️.

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Left the canals for the Thames now and it seems to be different rules here for the cruisers. Absolutely loads of them out and very obviously staying overnight on boats they don't live on?‍♂️.

It's the same on the Trent and the Witham!

On 02/06/2020 at 13:21, jeddlad said:

We understand that so we're not too bothered but, when a company reduces it's overheads by furloughing it's staff, the Council stop charging business rates for the government closure period and that comapny's 2020 income remains the same as all its customers have paid in advance for their ground rent, don't you think it's a tad unfair Alan? 

Except the company's income doesn't stay the same. They will have lost out on things like cafe and bar sales, sales of all the miscellaneous stuff they sell to caravan owners (the caravan site equivalent of chandlery), they are unable to sell vacant caravans or pitches to new owners, new/replacement van sales etc. Whether overall they end up better or worse off I don't know, but it would be hard to argue they have enough if a windfall to give every owner a couple of months rent back.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Except the company's income doesn't stay the same. They will have lost out on things like cafe and bar sales, sales of all the miscellaneous stuff they sell to caravan owners (the caravan site equivalent of chandlery), they are unable to sell vacant caravans or pitches to new owners, new/replacement van sales etc. Whether overall they end up better or worse off I don't know, but it would be hard to argue they have enough if a windfall to give every owner a couple of months rent back.

I think what's annoyed everyone our site is that, there is no bar or cafe or shop, It's just static caravans, a lake and a children's playground. Everyone has paid for 12 months site rental in advance, the final installment was paid last month, the site aren't paying business rates at the moment and they've furloughed all of their staff. So essentially they have massively reduced their costs but their annual income remains almost the same. Granted they can't sell caravans at the moment but when I went to open up the family caravan, there were only 3 or 4 empty spots out of 75. My mate, the live in site manager is fed up as they have furloughed him, on 80% pay but still expect him to mow the grass etc. 

Edited by jeddlad
Spelling

7 minutes ago, jeddlad said:

My mate, the live in site manager is fed up as they have furloughed him, on 80% pay but still expect him to mow the grass etc. 

That is illegal. Staff who are furloughed are not allowed to work for that employer (although they can do training, or undertake paid work for another employer).

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That is illegal. Staff who are furloughed are not allowed to work for that employer (although they can do training, or undertake paid work for another employer).

Unfortunately there will be a lot of this going on. Discreetly work whilst furloughed or a veiled threat about losing your job when this situation has calmed down. 

Edited by jeddlad
Grammar
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I need to use a dinghy to cross the cut to get to my boat.  I am worried that once the go-code is given on July 1st there will not be a gap in the traffic to let me get across...

What like the cars getting to McDonald's 

On 01/06/2020 at 18:09, Alan de Enfield said:

£100 (each way) taxi to /from the airport

Family of 4 = £2000

1 week hire of 4 berth Nb = ? £1000

Why do folks go and pay £25 per night to pitch a tent up in a field ?

Nearer £1500, plus food and drink and travel to the hire base.  So also around £2000, but good weather is pretty much guaranteed in Oludeniz. 

• 1 month later...