Increased demand on the waterways this summer ?

Momac

Featured Posts

Will the result of the Covid-19 pandemic be  increased  traffic on the inland waterways this summer as people  are unable to take holidays abroad ?

Edited by MartynG

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Will the result of the Covid-19 pandemic be  increased  traffic on the inland waterways this summer as people  are unable to take holidays abroad ?

Depends if we are allowed to take holidays in the UK I suppose.  If we are not allowed to stay overnight away from primary residences then there won't be much point going long distances.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Depends if we are allowed to take holidays in the UK I suppose.  If we are not allowed to stay overnight away from primary residences then there won't be much point going long distances.

I am thinking the staying overnight rule will be relaxed as soon as June.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think so, that would mean every one could travel and stay away.

If continuous cruisers can (apart from those stuck on the upper Macc), why not the rest of us?  I think there will be huge pressure from the hire fleets, or there won't be any next year.  The PM has also already said he wants to open up the UK hospitality and holiday industry.  They've got to generate some tax income from somewhere, and also get some money circulating round the economy.

One thing we've learned is that it's harder to get infected outdoors than it is indoors, and you can't get much more outdoors than on the back of a boat.  And you can't spread it much if you spend most of your time in a tin can.

• Greenie 4

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think so, that would mean every one could travel and stay away.

The C&RT are looking for a return to normal cruising from 1st June - whether it will be permitted is another mattter

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

4 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

I wonder on how the covid 19 will impact on boat sales 

You only have to look at some of the well know broker sites to see there is no lack of demand for the right boat at the right price.

25 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Golden age of canals yet to come maybe?? :)

Its a shame Shearings coaches have gone bust as I think they'd be busy once holidays permitted....

Would elderly people really want to share a coach with a load of other elderly people ?

I don't see travel by coach being any more popular than flying.

38 minutes ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

I think it could be positive and I don't see prices falling  - but  sales would perhaps pick up if staying overnight is specifically permitted . If boating is grouped in with visiting holiday homes we may be restricted to day trips for some time  , which may not be so attractive to some people looking to buy a boat.

I see our marina has a viewing by prior appointment policy - which was never a bad idea prior to Covid. 

2 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

As I said on another thread, my boat went on brokerage just before lockdown, it sold earlier this week on the first day the brokerage opened for viewings and no silly under priced offer either. There is pen up demand for boats, people appear to have identified what they want to look at during lock down.

Second hand caravan sales are booming and ridiculous prices are being asked and I think canal boats will be the same as people will realise they can't holiday abroad and will want to holiday in the UK. A boat or caravan will appear a cheaper way of doing this rather than staying in hotels. 

haggis 

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

No.

Most people don't own a boat, so for them the alternative to taking a package holiday would be to hire a boat. Our local hire fleet is showing no sign of movement, and I haven't heard of any others sending boats out either, so the frustrated packagees won't be able to take a canal holiday.

EDIT: I just checked their web site. All holiday bookings are suspended until July 4th but I suspect that this suspension will be extended.

Edited by Athy

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

The C&RT are looking for a return to normal cruising from 1st June - whether it will be permitted is another mattter

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-boating-faqs

But its not down to CRT, they could open the waterways fully today and us landlubbers still can't spend a night away from home. CRT didn't really need to close them at all other than stopping the CCs moving about

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

No.

Most people don't own a boat, so for them the alternative to taking a package holiday would be to hire a boat. Our local hire fleet is showing no sign of movement, and I haven't heard of any others sending boats out either, so the frustrated packagees won't be able to take a canal holiday.

EDIT: I just checked their web site. All holiday bookings are suspended until July 4th but I suspect that this suspension will be extended.

That is the date when it is expected you will be able to leave home overnight

• Greenie 1

Still a question mark about whether pubs will be open by the holiday season and even if they are open there will be restrictions which might put some people off, as for many they are part of the canal boating experience. Also, whilst probably not a lot, but some might not fancy going through locks whilst the situation is still sensitive.

Things will pick up providing we keep going in the right direction, but I'd be surprised if it gets mega busy.

Edited by Philip

30 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suspect the July date is due to the need to get the boats ready after the closed season, and that with the general navigation open from June, that's the earliest they can get organised.  August could be a bit hectic on the Llangollen....

I would think hire boats will be available to closed family groups the moment the Gov says you are allowed to stay away....ie, early June. 

Day boats are already for hire for families only.

Pubs, take your own stuff with you until something changes.

Even if/when the hire boat businesses resume, I doubt the pubs will be open. From my experience with hire boat handovers, the question most customers ask is which pub should they head for on the first evening. If the pubs are not there, a good many people will not see boating as such an attractive holiday.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, MartynG said:

I am thinking the staying overnight rule will be relaxed as soon as June.

So do I. Also probably campsites etc.

56 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

Even if/when the hire boat businesses resume, I doubt the pubs will be open. From my experience with hire boat handovers, the question most customers ask is which pub should they head for on the first evening. If the pubs are not there, a good many people will not see boating as such an attractive holiday.

Hire boating will not be the same. I was talking with my mate Dave yesterday and he normaly has a lot of single sex bookings. he has cancelled them all for the forseeable future and will only be taking families when he re opens. That will make many people happy but will take revenue away from boatyards and pubs that are used to it coming in.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

So do I. Also probably campsites etc.

Hire boating will not be the same. I was talking with my mate Dave yesterday and he normaly has a lot of single sex bookings. he has cancelled them all for the forseeable future and will only be taking families when he re opens. That will make many people happy but will take revenue away from boatyards and pubs that are used to it coming in.

There may be a sudden upsurge in single sex relationships - a husband, his husband and their three brothers each,  all hiring a boat together for a big family week out.  Oddly, they all seem to belong to the same army unit....

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1