Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Wetherspoons , Are The New Guidelines Enough ?

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I’m not adverse to a Wetherspoons establishment. Depends what you want. Yes, I’d prefer a nice pub but being in Banbury for far too long before the lock down there’s not an exact alternative.Having said that the Bell near the rail station isn't at all bad.

The Reindeir is bloody awful these days innitt 😟 We like the three pigeons when we pop in to Banbury for a wee drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is The Reindeer the very ancient-looking pub in the town centre? It always looks tempting but we have never yet been in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is The Reindeer the very ancient-looking pub in the town centre? It always looks tempting but we have never yet been in there.

Yes, a Hooky pub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, a Hooky pub.

I'm surprised to read "bloody awful" and "Hooky" in the same sentence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised to read "bloody awful" and "Hooky" in the same sentence.

It's the way it's run, not the beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand that all Wetherspoon pubs in Wales have been warned that if they follow the "advice" from their Head Office then it will be the Managers, as the Licencee, who will be prosecuted, and there is a risk to the licence continuing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I understand that all Wetherspoon pubs in Wales have been warned that if they follow the "advice" from their Head Office then it will be the Managers, as the Licencee, who will be prosecuted, and there is a risk to the licence continuing.

There will be more than one person on the licence, always is with managed houses so the pub can still operate if the manager gets the push or does a runner. All named on the licence are jointly culpable. problem is of course that some poor manager may well take the risk of opening under a dodgy safety regime if he fears losing his job for disobeying the owner!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Although I execrate Tim Martin's views and actions on all sorts of things, I must say that Wetherspoons pubs vary as much as any other kind, privately owned or not.  I've been in a lot of them, and they range from the comfortable coaching Inns they once were (Whittlesea, Ripon, St Ives)  to real s**tholes (Pontefract) with all gradations in between. 

It's mostly down to local management, area, and clientele.  People's views are coloured by their local Wetherspoons or the first one they encounter, and lump them all together as they wouldn't do for a pleasant or grotty local pub, although I suspect there will be a lot fewer of the latter once things get back to normal.

It could be that the 'spoons pubs are representative of the town... I wouldn't choose to go out to any pub in Pontefract

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised to read "bloody awful" and "Hooky" in the same sentence.

Ye Olde Reindeer isn’t all bad, but expensive. Had a meal in there months ago. It was okay. But I know what MrSmelly is saying. They are riding on the fact that it’s an old pub. Try the Dog and Gun for a rowdy drinking venue. Excellent prices but choice language. The ladies as much as the guys. If you can put up with swearing, there’s a good quality banter happening there. Friendly. As a footnote, the Bell is a small one bar local pub. I was made welcome in there. Mind you I was spending hard earned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 11:44, Stilllearning said:

Finally, a reason for being in Southampton!  

The only reason to be in Soton is to get the train to Pompey!

 

(Or the ferry to the IoW)

 

I spent 6 months of sheer hell trying to teach in the gawdawful city.

The last time I passed that school, Woolston, it had been flattened and the site given over to new houses.

 

I felt a warm glow of satisfaction.

😀

20 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I’m not adverse to a Wetherspoons establishment. Depends what you want. Yes, I’d prefer a nice pub but being in Banbury for far too long before the lock down there’s not an exact alternative.Having said that the Bell near the rail station isn't at all bad.

Try the White Horse, near the Cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

The only reason to be in Soton is to get the train to Pompey!

 

(Or the ferry to the IoW)

 

I spent 6 months of sheer hell trying to teach in the gawdawful city.

The last time I passed that school, Woolston, it had been flattened and the site given over to new houses.

 

I felt a warm glow of satisfaction.

😀

Try the White Horse, near the Cross.

I have never got on with Southampton. No idea what it is. Just doesn’t feel like a nice place to be.

 

Went into theWhite Horse years ago. Only the once. If I remember correctly, it was a bit snobby. I may have just judged it incorrectly.

 

Edited by Nightwatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Wetherspoon chief Tim Martin blasted Government for imposing lockdown and wanted herd immunity policy

Tim Martin needs to give less advice about health and more making his pubs less shit. What makes him think he's in any position to make comments about pandemics and viruses?

 

Of course, he's well within his rights to say what he wants but the difference between Tim Martin and your archetypical living room whinger is Tim Martin is very much in the public eye and his fan boys will get behind what he says.

 

Keep quiet, Tim. Stick to what you know - pubs that have absolutely no soul or atmosphere. Not even sure you could call them a pub. They're just booze vendors.

Edited by NB Caelmiri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

It could be that the 'spoons pubs are representative of the town... I wouldn't choose to go out to any pub in Pontefract

Pontefract nor Castleford though I did drink in both for many years. There are four dumps in a row known localy as " Ponte carlo " Cas Vegas " Feverly hills " and " Vietnorm " These being Pontefract, Castleford, Featherstone and Normanton. In fairness they are typical of the area and most folks are sound as a pound. My last mooring oop there was Woodlesford just upt river. I love it that much up there that I am moored ont Oxford again now 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By far the worstest Wetherspoons I’ve been in is Oxford Central. People that know me will find my next statement as ‘surprising’. 
 

‘I couldn’t finish my pint it was that awful’

  • Horror 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

Tim Martin needs to give less advice about health and more making his pubs less shit. What makes him think he's in any position to make comments about pandemics and viruses?

 

Of course, he's well within his rights to say what he wants but the difference between Tim Martin and your archetypical living room whinger is Tim Martin is very much in the public eye and his fan boys will get behind what he says.

 

Keep quiet, Tim. Stick to what you know - pubs that have absolutely no soul or atmosphere. Not even sure you could call them a pub. They're just booze vendors.

" Fan boys " who are they ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

I understand that all Wetherspoon pubs in Wales have been warned that if they follow the "advice" from their Head Office then it will be the Managers, as the Licencee, who will be prosecuted, and there is a risk to the licence continuing.

Cant understand whats going on in Wales especially with all these restrictions , a whole world slowly emerging from Lockdown and these " Turnips " are virtually threatening Jail to any Englishman brave enough to cross the Severn . Present Company excepted I cant think the People of Wales happy with this situation ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

" Fan boys " who are they ?

The descendants of former punkah wallahs, carrying on a proud family tradition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

" Fan boys " who are they ?

These idiots. Of which there are plenty more.

 

1525303418_Screenshot2020-05-27at14_56_31.png.28e8190c904eb8d68a038052f91789e1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

These idiots. Of which there are plenty more.

 

1525303418_Screenshot2020-05-27at14_56_31.png.28e8190c904eb8d68a038052f91789e1.png

These are I think the comments of a few nutters rather than fan boys and you find their presence no matter what the Topic . It was interesting to read your comments about the lack of soul or atmosphere and its something many of us have thought about when visiting a Wetherspoons . " Atmosphere " I wonder what many of us think that word entails when it comes to a Pub , maybe for some its even indefinable . For me coming from Glasgow where Pubs are perhaps in their most primitive form , it means some dodgy dealings in the corner followed by a visit to someones car boot outside , its winding up Big Tommy because after a few he gets a bit lairy and is keen to dish out the occasional smack to those he deems disrespectful , mostly its always facing the door in case you fall victim to a liberty taker . These were the Pubs of my youth over 40 years ago and I suspect there were similar in all the large Towns and Cities , there certainly was in Salford where I occasionally visited . The local Industry around these Pubs also provided the atmosphere and most of them are no longer in existence , I cant speak for Country Pubs though doubtless these had atmosphere centred around Village Life and perhaps Agriculture ? I dont think with Women and Children present you can have real atmosphere in a pub , many will maybe be outraged by that statement but Wetherspoons I simply view as a Mcdonalds that sells alcohol and who ever found atmosphere in one of those .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.